Future of the forum II

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:52 pm

Kris, you should definitely turn the forum over to the person you feel most comfortable with. But I'd like to point out that if most of the existing moderators aren't participating now, maybe their opinions shouldn't count for so much. The people who are actually here, participating, are more important in my view.

However, I'm saying this for selfish reasons, because not all the moderators from Poets' Graves liked me all that much. It's because not everyone here necessarily likes me that I recommended a triumvirate of PPE, me and Leaf (especially since we were the only ones who showed an interest) with you as an advisor. But if David (whom I once got along with but don't now) wants to come back and run the place, I'll try to live with him in charge. The forum is yours, so it's all up to you.
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:19 am

Caleb,

Absolutely. I'm in the process of discussions with the present mods as to what direction we should be heading in and with whom?
most of the existing moderators aren't participating now
This is true and I think the very next step should be the pruning of those no longer participating.
The people who are actually here, participating, are more important in my view.
Agreed.

Re David, I think his days of being a mod and participating are over, so I don't think that will be an issue.

Anyhow I'll get back to you after decisions have been made.

Cheers
Kris
http://www.closetpoet.co.uk
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:35 pm

For several days I won't be able to access the forum because I am setting up a new computer. I am able to leave this note now because I have reconnected my old computer to copy information over. But after this, there may be a couple days when I'm coming to the forum.
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:11 am

Just to let you all know, my computer issues are over, and I can join any efforts that might be under way to find a new administrator.
Signature info:
ton321
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:44 am

I'm very sorry to say the bleedin obvious, but this place has been dying for years.
Cliques and bullies don't a forum make.
Counting the beats,
Counting the slow heart beats,
The bleeding to death of time in slow heart beats,
Wakeful they lie.

Robert Graves
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:42 am

Cliques and bullies
That's sad to read ton321. I've been out of the loop for so long, I was genuinely unaware of such things. Would you care to expand?

Cheers
Kris
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:11 pm

That's true, Ton, but I'd still like to hear your reasons.

This is still the only forum where I feel I haven't been driven off. Actually, Ros threw me off, but I sneaked back on -- but since then I have fit in well enough.

Kris, you were out of the loop, yet you took it upon yourself to move the forum to a new location? I'd like to hear about that also.
Signature info:
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:41 pm

Code: Select all

Kris, you were out of the loop, yet you took it upon yourself to move the forum to a new location? I'd like to hear about that also.
Because if I didn't the forum would have been deleted, gone, caput!

To be honest i'm rather tired of explaining the whole situation. I'm also tired of working towards a forum that is seemingly going nowhere.

It seems to me i'm keeping this place afloat for a minimum amount of contributors, is it really worthy it any longer?

Kris
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:59 pm

Kris, imho you did an amazing job setting up the forum in its new location :)

I've said I'm happy to help, however you and other staff members feel would be best, and the offer still stands.

Best wishes,
Leaf
Firebird

Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:34 pm

Hi Kris,

I’d just like to second Fliss: you’ve done an amazing job. This forum has seen its disagreements, but I’ve always thought they were dealt with fairly.

I just want to thank you for all your effort and hard work. I’m certainly grateful.

Cheers,

Tristan
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:26 am

I've been distracted in the last few days, sorry.

Kris, I don't entirely understand where you are coming from now. You say:

"To be honest I'm rather tired of explaining the whole situation. I'm also tired of working towards a forum that is seemingly going nowhere.

"It seems to me I'm keeping this place afloat for a minimum amount of contributors, is it really worthy it any longer?"

But three people -- me, Leaf and PE -- have offered to take it over, so why are you still complaining? Let's do it.

I have already suggested a course of action -- that you make the three of us administrators, and start a chat open to the four of us where you will instruct us.

As for me, I am 71 and in somewhat poor health. I am tired all the time. I'm offering to be part of this to be helpful, though my participation may be limited by my health and age. Leaf and PPE have their own reasons. This is a temporary alternative to shutting down the forum. In the future, new solutions will be found to keep it going.
Signature info:
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:25 pm

Well said, Tristan :D

Caleb, one thing I really like about this site is being able to workshop my writing in our non-public zone :)

F.
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:41 pm

Fliss, do you mean the Finishing Touch forum? I don't know much about it.

Once a poem reaches final form, should I move it into that forum? I think that's what Macavity does.
Signature info:
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:34 am

Yes, Caleb, that's the forum. I suppose you could move a final form poem there, if staff are amenable :)
Firebird

Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:51 am

Hi Perry,

I’ll be happy to move any poems you want to this forum.

Cheers,

Tristan
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:51 pm

I've been distracted in the last few days, sorry.

Kris, I don't entirely understand where you are coming from now. You say:

"To be honest I'm rather tired of explaining the whole situation. I'm also tired of working towards a forum that is seemingly going nowhere.
You keep asking the same questions. Simple as that.

Also:
But three people -- me, Leaf and PE -- have offered to take it over, so why are you still complaining? Let's do it.
It's that attitude that most certainly winds people up the wrong way!

I'm not "complaining", I'm just trying my very best to to consider every aspect: Past contributors, present moderators, the enormous content and the integrity of the forum.

It's not an easy decision, but I agree it's one that needs to be made ASAP. I've been in discussions with fellow mods and although there hasn't been a unanimous decision, we are almost there.

Time (or indeed lack of it) is a problem for me, hence this whole new approach. So Perry, please be patient and I'll get back with democratic decisions as soon as i can.

Cheers
Kris
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:46 am

I'm checking out of this discussion.
Signature info:
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:43 am

No need to check out, Caleb; maybe just take a break until Kris has an update :)