Flight of fancy

Any closet novelists, short story writers, script-writers or prose poets out there?
Leslie
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:27 am

SEAGULL: FLIGHT FANTASTIC

Legend has it that R. J. Mitchell was inspired by the flying of seagulls when he designed the Spitfire. That’s quite easy to believe when you see the aerodynamic shape of their bodies, the perfectly retracting undercarriage and the wonderful, graceful manoeuvres they perform – the epitome of evolution of ‘the fittest’.
I often watch them; sometimes I fantasise about what it would be like to be a seagull, to fly like that, to soar as high as the clouds, to skim over the waves, to wheel and spin in great curves or tight turns.
They are remarkable creatures; they can fly, they can walk on the land, they can float on water, they have it all and I don’t suppose they have the brains to realise or appreciate their abilities.
If I were a seagull I’d cruise all around the coast of this country, seeing it from high above (a bird’s eye view!) and getting down to ground level for special things. The freedom would be glorious, not confined to roads or by hedges or fences. Think of the distances a bird can cover! I’d cross the seas and visit other countries. The world would be open to me.
That’s if I had my own brain, still, of course, to make the decisions and enjoy being a bird. ‘course, the down-side is that even a bird has to eat and it’s not nice to think of what seagulls eat. They tend to be scavengers; I wouldn’t want to be pecking at dead things or stuff people had dropped in the streets and as for fish and sea-food! My favourite dislike!
Sometimes I think I’d change my choice and be a swallow instead ‘cause they’re pretty nifty – swept wing, high speed and aerobatic. But they live on insects and I don’t fancy that much either.
Perhaps I’ll be an eagle. Slower, more deliberate but majestic. Then I could avoid insects or fish, but I’d have to get used to eating my meat extremely rare, and really I prefer it well cooked. Oh well, I can still dream.
ericcoliu

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:10 pm

Leslie wrote:
the aerodynamic shape of their bodies, the perfectly retracting undercarriage and the wonderful, graceful manoeuvres they perform – the epitome of evolution of ‘the fittest’.
I often watch them; sometimes I fantasise about what it would be like to be a seagull, to fly like that, to soar as high as the clouds, to skim over the waves, to wheel and spin in great curves or tight turns.

Perhaps I’ll be an eagle. Slower, more deliberate but majestic. Then I could avoid insects or fish, but I’d have to get used to eating my meat extremely rare, and really I prefer it well cooked. Oh well, I can still dream.
An interesting piece of writing.

It uncannily reminds me of Chinese Taoist philosopher Chuang Tzu and his butterfly dream:

One day, Chuang Tzu dreamed that he was a carefree butterfly, floating on the breeze all day long.

When he awoke, Chuang Tzu became confused.

"Am I a man," he thought, "who dreamed that I was a butterfly? Or am I a butterfly, dreaming that I am a man?"

Perhaps one's whole waking life is but a moment in a butterfly's dream!

By the way, have you seen Winged Migration? It's directed by Jacques Perrin, an exceptional documentary on the migratory patterns of birds, shot over the course of three years on all seven continents. You can get access to the official site of Winged Migration at http://www.sonyclassics.com/wingedmigra ... flash.html on which there is a visually stunning video clip about the migratory behaviour of birds.
wildmountainthyme
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:12 pm

very nice leslie. anything to do with birds always gets my attention. the idea of being able to fly is really very exciting, what a thrill! seagulls do have a bad reputation, sometimes deserved? but if you've ever been close to a great black backed gull you would easily forgive these huge pests. stunning big beasts, i like to visit the bass rock, the gannets are a very entertaining treat.
i too would advise you to check out 'winged migration' beautiful camera work and great music. epic.
enjoyed the writing.
dan
lars3939

Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:19 pm

I do not get this sort of prose, perhaps its my fault but I tend to feel this sort of prose is a poem in saga form. Nothing is wrong with your sentences just the whole seems somewhat lacking. It reminds me of a student conversation developing an idea to its logical and absurd conclusion but as a prose piece I am not a fan.