How to be Wrong - The Three Step Program

Any closet novelists, short story writers, script-writers or prose poets out there?
Amadis
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:53 am

How to be Wrong

Or at least be wronger more often

We all know that Politician that always seems to be Wrong, no matter the evidence or the issue at hand.

Now you too ( for a modest fee ) can also be Wrong all the time!
just by following these three simple steps.
( LEGISLATED DISCLOSURE: Complete Wrongness cannot be guaranteed. And there are no refunds.)

Assessment of Evidence and Issues.

Most issues to be considered are more complex than they might first appear.
There may also be quite a lot of existing data and research regarding the issue at hand.

That is why you must avoid gathering too much information before making up your mind.

(1) Go with your Gut. Gut reactions offer a greater chance of being Wrong from the get-go.

Considering Expert Opinion

The assessment of those that have spent the time and effort of becoming expert in their field are more likely to be right than to be wrong in their assessment.

(2) Do Not listen Experts, they are not the path to true Wrongness.

New Evidence and Changing Circumstances

Sometimes events can radically alter the perception of a situation and new data can overturn previously obvious seeming assumptions.

(3) Never Change Your Mind. Wrongness requires absolute consistency.

Intellectual Honesty

There are many situations of decision making and Human endeavour that can lead to multiple paths.

Politics is a classic example. Where the future path of a Nation can be multiple, with not all paths being wrong nor right, but some being judged more desirable than others given the criterion of the one judging.

In these situations it is often the integrity of the motives and the honesty of the stated arguments for favouring one future path over another, that truly matters.

( This is the tough one, you may risk being right by accident! )

(4) Be creative with your reasoning, try just making up the reasons for choosing your Wrong path in the first place.

With these three simple steps, you can be on your way to complete and blissful Wrongness for the rest of your life!
NotQuiteSure
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:11 pm

Hi Amadis,
good to read you again.

Like the idea, but I can't tell who the 'audience' is meant to be.
Are those who desire to be Wrong going to be attracted by the 'academic tone' of the piece? Not convinced.
Also, doesn't it need to offer an answer to the question, 'what's so attractive about wrongness'?
Even something as simple as changing
We all know that Politician that always seems to be Wrong
to
We all know some successful Politician/celebrity/columnist who always seems to be Wrong and yet is rich and powerful and on TV.
might help.

Oh and ...
Now you too ( for a modest fee ) can also be Wrong all the time!
Is this an intentional error? I hope so. You can't lay out the three steps and then charge someone after they've read them :)

Regards, Not

Ps Alternative title - Why Being Wrong has Never Felt so Right.

Amadis
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:19 am

Yes, your suggestion that the state of "Wrongness" needs a bit more selling.
I need to push that "Wrong" is the new sexy trend that everyone wants to be a part of.

You *may* have pointed out a few *seeming* errors in my grammar or numeracy,
but I reject any correction and double-down on my previous statements.

Thanks Not.
NotQuiteSure
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:33 pm

Amadis wrote:
I need to push that "Wrong" is the new sexy trend that everyone wants to be a part of.
Yeah, get that ol' band wagon rolling. And don't forget the snake oil.
Amadis wrote:
You *may* have pointed out a few *seeming* errors in my grammar or numeracy,
but I reject any correction and double-down on my previous statements.
That's the spirit :) (Anyway, it's probably just a coincidence.)

Regards, Not