A Man called E

"Senor, Senor, do you know where we're headin'? Lincoln County Road or Armageddon?"
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin
antispam: no

Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:57 pm

Is the alias of Mark Oliver Everett - the main man behind the Eels. Apparently the new album by the Eels - Blinking Lights and Other Revelations - is the dog's bananas. I'm borrowing a copy tomorrow and will let you know.

I only have 1 Eels album - Daisies of the Galaxy - which is weird but interesting.

Everett has had a bit of a rough life: his mother died, his sister committed suicide and his cousin was killed on one of the 9/11 planes.

Cam
Clive

Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:30 am

I saw eels in Portsmouth a few years back and I can safely say it was the WORST gig I have ever been to. A normally standing venue (The Pyramids) had been transformed, without ticket holders being informed, into a seating venue. As we arrived after a few beers, as you do, there were few seats left so we stood by the side bar. Heavy handed bouncers insisted we stood behind an imaginary line demarcating the bar area from the auditorium and we were witness to several kids being forcibly ejected by the bouncers for having the audacity to stand up and dance (in their seated area). This was at the behest of Mr E himself. As this went on our little crowd, along with others, started heckling both the band and the bouncers and e stopped playing until everything was quiet again.
Long before the end we'd had enough of this and left, with our shouts of 'charlatans' echoing around the place. Weeks later, in a Q magazine article Mr E said it was the worst crowd he had ever played for and descriobed us as 'English football hooligans'. Despite having his recorded works up to then, I have not played them or deigned to listen to anything new by him since. I had the misfortune of accidentally seeing him on the telly the other night (was it Jools?) and the pretentious idiot was still at it. Live reviews also suggest he is currently affecting a stage limp, for some unbeknown reason.
Sorry this is a bit long but Cam don't have any truck with him. Trust me - you know I'm right!
pb
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:59 pm

I bought blinking lights a few weeks ago on the strength of a few good reviews and I have to say it is pretty shit, mostly crap rhymes over simplistic pop tones. Sometimes you just wanta bit more, yknow?

pb