Oasis - Can you be arsed ?

"Senor, Senor, do you know where we're headin'? Lincoln County Road or Armageddon?"
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:36 am

Just heard Lyla, Oasis' new single,

I loved it, just what you'd expect, great hooks, rocking tune, and nicked from The Stones Street Fighting Man.

Just hope the rest of the new album matches the quality.

Will it be as good as Definitely Maybe? Nah, the unadulterated passion was from 20 something , skint doleys, with nothing to lose.

I feel a greatest debut albums thread coming on!
http://www.closetpoet.co.uk
pb
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Sun May 01, 2005 1:26 pm

As I'm from Manchester, where Oasis are practically on the syllabus for teenage boys, you will see that this is difficult for me to say: Oasis are rubbish. The new single 'Lyla' (who? Lola? Layla?) is possibly the worst thing I've heard all year. I am pronouncing this opinion from a position of intimacy with their music - I own every album and most singles, but I have been increasingly disappointed. The Gallaghers are, in essence, silly little Lennon-wannabies. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but now that all that fantastic anger has gone out of their music, and now that it takes them 3 years to produce an album!! (it took the Beatles 6 months to produce Revolver after Rubber Soul), they have slowed down a lot and we are bombarded with utter shit like She Is Love - Noel Gallagher's laughable attempt at a Paul McCartney song.

I once read an interview with Noel himself, and he laid out his blueprint for creating a good song. 'Well', he said, 'you take your favourite Beatles song, move it up two keys, swop the chords around and there you go'. I promptly lost all respect for him.

This situation wouldn't be so bad if the brothers admitted they were past it. But with Noel behaving as if he were some sort of elder statesman of rock and roll, endorsing new bands left right and centre, I can't forgive him his complete and utter lack of any intelligence. Let us take some lyrical examples:

'But my God woke up on the wrong side of his bed' from Little By Little - pretentiousness without the charm

'I can see a liar, sitting by the fire' - I Can See A Liar

'Live for your toys, even though they make noise' - Little James, admittedly a Liam effort, but still...

And the song, tiringly, remains the same - every time they have a new album out, Noel claims it's just like Definitely Maybe (bull), and Liam gets his mug in the papers by scrapping with small journalists or rubbishing the new boys. Fact is, Oasis haven't got it anymore.

I recently got into a massive (and somewhat one-sided) debate, for suggesting in my local that the Libertines (but shock! horror! they're from London!) possessed a greater artistic integrity than 'those two fucking pikeys'. Seriously, their idea of an 'artistic difference' must be squaring up over who gets to be John. But I stick by my decision. Although I might not air it with such conviction when I go to watch Oasis play at the City of Manchester stadium this June 30th, which, if past gigs are anything to go by, will be fucking good.

You thoughts?
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun May 01, 2005 7:41 pm

I take Oasis as a light refreshment to be honest. They're cartoon characters, I don't look much deeper than that. They have some fucking great tunes to bounce about to, and to be honest I think Lyla is another one to add to the cannon.

To be honest I think the Libertines were highly overated, as are most bands today. Can't Stand Me Now was pretty good though.

The last Original band - The Smiths.
darkshines

Sun May 01, 2005 9:54 pm

I'd say Lyla is ok, but I certainly woudn't say it was a return to form that we want.

As for The Libertines, I'd say while the production on their last album was awful, the music was also of an incredibly consistent quality. I'd say their debut was better. I think Oasis were better in their prime, mind.
pb
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Mon May 02, 2005 5:35 pm

Camus, I wish it was an option, living where I live, to take Oasis as cartoon characters rather than the first great rockstars since the Beatles...
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon May 02, 2005 8:37 pm

PB,

Interesting that they still have such a hold in Manchester.

Although Madchester has a fine musical lineage, one to be proud of for sure.
Black eyed angel

Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:18 pm

I'm not too keen on Oasis, I must admit. They have really gone downhill and to be honest I just can't be bothered with them anymore.

(By the way I'm new :D )