Best Mad Song

"Senor, Senor, do you know where we're headin'? Lincoln County Road or Armageddon?"
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:57 am

I'm going to start with a bang. It doesn't matter about the lyrics, it's more the type of music and in this case video. I'm not saying this is the best, it's just an example for those interested:

Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:00 am

Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:01 am

And since this is a poetry site, something lyrically 🤔

jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:30 am

OK, I'll bite. I'll post two songs about madness that have had an impact on me. Mad songs are a bit different from the mad poems thread - I'm unsure how much these singers have themselves dealt with mental illness. Kurt Cobain I think took lithium, so that's first-hand. In any case:

jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:44 am

Well, we seem mostly to be posting videos. Here then is another song that speaks and spoke to me, and again, it's first-hand, as far as I know (AFAIK).

Cheers,
John

Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:46 am

Interesting and thoughtful selection John, as I would expect from you.

DJ Avicii committed suicide as did Kurt Cobain after their battles, which included drug and alcohol addiction. I'm not sure about the grime from Dizzee but it sounds more bipolar than drugs based on the lyric "some people pay for thrills, I get mine for free, man I'm just living my life, there's nothing crazy about me!" That's a very bipolar thing to say. It's a fun song.

There's a kind of intellectual deeply philosophical madness ( captured by Pink Floyd) and there's also the base level primal instinct type. This kind of behaviour is prevalent in sections of the community. If you can get to the end of the video for the twist then I'll be impressed John. Apologies but it's rave/techno and the lyrics are offensive. I should post a warning for sex/drugs/violence content. Keith Flint also committed suicide.

https://videos.watchpeopledie.tv/16783233162993937.mp4
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:28 pm

Hi Morpheus,

THank you very much for the details on these various singers, many of whom I don't know! It looks like I will now be pretty busy for the next fortnight - I just got a set of MS. requirements from my publisher, with two weekly deadlines looming - but I hope to find time to listen to these songs in the interstices. I'm afraid I won't be clicking on watchpeopledie, though, on principle.

I'm glad you liked my selections! Each has spoken to me over the years. The Supertramp ends up silly but I find it quite serious up till then. The other tow I think are just good work and with something to say.

Cheers,
John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:45 pm

Hi John,

Good luck with your MS. It sounds like it's going to be worth the effort.

Understood regarding the link and you're probably right. The uncut version of the video is not on YouTube and I found it through a Google directly without having to navigate that horrible website. I don't like the sound of it either and although no one dies in the video ultimately there's a real possibility Keith did die as a consequence of this sort of lack of impulse control behaviour.

We're talking severe outcomes of madness here sadly and I would never glorify any of this.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:08 pm

Thanks, Morpheus - yes, there are glorifiers out there and it is good to hear your thoughts on the ethics of the thing. I'm less busy than feared but still have quite a lot to wade through today at least. We shall forge ahead!

Cheers,
John
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:55 pm

No one 'Madder' than Kevin Coyne. An under looked genius.

I first heard this whilst on magic mushrooms. Been a fan ever since:

http://www.closetpoet.co.uk
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:41 am

And of course this:

Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:01 am

Excellent choicesđź‘Ś

We do not condone drug usage on this thread however we accept that some drug induced experiences overlap with the kind that is more of a natural defect.

I think the diagnosis in the following case is actually Panic Disorder:

Last edited by Morpheus on Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:15 pm

Hmm. Good premise for a vido, it seems to me. Watching it, i get the feeling they've seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Good film, and about my favorite Jack Nicholson performance - before he started dialing it in.

Cheers,
John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:58 pm

I've never seen that film John and I feel as if I should because I occasionally refer to Nurse Ratched when using humour in the MH community. I'm aware of it and her character.

I've seen The Shining though. Mrs Morph was watching It's a Beautiful Mind the other day. I guess the academic schizophrenia experience is close to what we may have experienced but I don't think I've ever seen anything that does it justice. I used to think of it as obtaining the ring of power from Lord of the Rings. It's very hard to use that power in the right way but we can try.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:12 pm

It's a great film to my mind, and quite moving. The character actors in the mental ward are all brilliant, and Ratched may have been Oscar-nominated. Nicholson rises to the challenge, and I think got his first Oscar here. I agree, he's good in The SHining.

I've spent some time trying to make sense - to recount - my own experience, mostly in my religion MS., Ice Cream and Talmud. In my case, it was always religious mania. The Second Coming, etc. etc. All Creation to be redeemed, which was a challenge.

If you pick up the book A Beautiful Mind, you'll find my dad in the index, he was there at the time and knew Nash.

CHeers,
John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:55 pm

John, I don't get the Ice Cream and Talmud reference. Is that one of your poems?

My psychosis went on for months so it took a few different forms both mood congruent and incongruent. I did have a week were I descended on a Catholic priests house for a few late night conversations I recall but I was largely triggered by my first job working for a defense research establishment and staying with the SAS before I got booted out of my lodgings with subsequent paranoia about surveillance and grandiose delusions. I'm glad I had the experience though, I wouldn't be here or have written any poetry without it.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:06 am

Hi Morpheus,

Well, that's my religion manuscript.

Psychosis is already pretty complicated! Then it intersects with life events. No two stories are the same, id' say.

CHeers,
John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:20 pm

John, I'd love to see more of that manuscript if you're able to share.

jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:34 pm

Aha! Well, I don’t think I can PM it to you, but if you have a suitable email address you could PM me, I could email it to you. It’s a solid 80 pages, and I would be interested in your thoughts! Of course, you’d be more than welcome to dip in or skim as you think best. It’s a lot of text.
Cheers,
John
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:03 pm

Not a fan of Alice Cooper at all really, but back in my drug taking days i came across an album by him called "From the inside" a concept album really about life in a mental institution, worth checking out.

I grew up in a very small town reality were everyone took drugs, so no offence, but it's part of my DNA and i discovered some fucking great music! I'm a grown up now.

Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:32 pm

Camus, thumbs up to the video posting

There's no offense taken in the slightest, I do have to be wary online because I have the DVLA reviewing my case every year for licence renewal and I have the cabinet office writing to my GP at the moment regarding clearance for work so I'm always hyper-vigilant online about not associating with any substance misuse (he's says having posted an extreme Prodigy video example).

I also grew up in a small town (up North) where I once had the reputation of being the local crazy kid and was barred from several pubs. I have also had some amazing adventures with music in abnormal mood excursions albeit mania, hypomanic or mixed affective states.

I get the feeling you have a lot of stories to tell if you fancy a pint sometime? My plans for world domination have really taken shape and are in the implementation stage. I've already got Australia on side and I'm eyeing up New Zealand and Canada next. US I'm leaving well alone, too much trouble. :lol:

camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:48 pm

I get the feeling you have a lot of stories to tell if you fancy a pint sometime?
Sounds like an offer I can pretend I'm interested in, but really aren't. I'm vey unsociable.

Nah, sounds good to me, it's a rare thing to connect with people of a similar mind-set. When i'm a little more recovered, let's get it on.
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:08 pm

Camus, I'm not sure what you're recovering from exactly but I hope you're back to 100% soon.

I think we're roughly the same age, I'm early 40s, so you'll remember this song from the 90s. It's not about bipolar but the ending lyric and theme is a pertinent one "What if you never come down?"

I never did the UK rave scene but I had experiences jungle raving on Thai Islands in the bioluminescent South China Sea, which was something else.

jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:51 pm

Here's a song I listened to a lot back when I was doing LSD in '86.

"If she don't come down
She will burn herself out
Like a forest fire ..."

Cheers,
John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:11 pm

Very interesting John, I don't know it. Did I tell you I used to produce radio in South Africa? It was mainly hip hop and Afrikaner Christian rock, which I had a soft spot for but best of all was the Xhosa dance music. I was a voluntary teaching assistant for Primary age children in Kayamandi township for a while and the nursery rhymes in African regional dialects are adorable. In Xhosa, which is Madiba's home tongue, the 'x' sound is a click noise and it sounds amazing in their version of Frère Jacques.

The next song is more heroin than LSD I understand from the Wikipedia info but it sums up my situation at the moment. Things are easy when you're big in Australia too. :lol: