Best Mad Song

"Senor, Senor, do you know where we're headin'? Lincoln County Road or Armageddon?"
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:17 pm

More heroin chique, it probably needs it's own thread. Again there's read across on the themes though.

jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:41 pm

Golden Brown may be the best thing they ever did, and I think The Stranglers are good. Channeling their inner Doors.

Cheers,
John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:42 pm

I agree John, and a love interest is often used as a metaphor. Falling in love is an experience most people experience in a transient form so it's a relatable kind of madness where people might behave in peculiar or disinhibited ways. You might want to keep that feeling going for as long as possible or you might take the long view and be med compliant. I believe this song was written on LSD:

Another one that has in the past been on high mood playlist. There a fair few qualifying Bowie songs:

jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:29 am

Hip hop and Afrikaner Christian rock sounds like a wild mix. Talking about Xhosa's clicks, I was going to post The Click Song, by Miriam Makeba, but I'm sure you know it, having lived there and all.

Yup, Forest Fire precisely expressed how I felt about my wild life.

Cheers,
John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:30 am

Lowry in northern accent:

And mad song about painting:

jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:45 am

Now there's a man who had an ear. If you'll excuse me saying so.

Nice to see some Lowry, it's been a while. I like the Van Gogh poem - the whole album isn ot bad, actually. I'm sure there's a Plath song out there.

Cheers,
John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:59 am

I'm not aware of a Plath song so you've got me thinking there John ??

Oasis counts as delusions of being the Beatles ...but as we discussed on PM last week they're not the only ones. AM eat your hearts out.

I'm trying to learn Wonderwall accompaniment on piano at the moment and it has to be quite rhythmic to mimic the guitar in right and cello in left so is proving challenging. F# minor is a beautiful key to play chords in though and a bit out of the ordinary.

I named my daughter after this song and the Chronicles of Narnia:

jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:08 pm

I found one by Ryan Adams. Not a name I know.

Yup, I like Oasis and The Beatles both! The Velvet Underground racked up some drug songs, but there are of course a million of those.

Cheers,
John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:35 am

I believe this is actually about the NHS and not inter-city coaches.

jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:50 am

That's a resonant image to go with the song. Cheers Morph.

John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:47 am

This is a M.A.D. song. I love the Grasmere reference. Hang the poet too. It's actually about fallout from Chernobyl I believe.

jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:37 am

Morrissey is certainly a man with his own mind. I'm glad to have them contributing to the texture of rock music.

A friend had a theory about their next single, back in the day: "Christ I'm still so f-ing miserable."

Cheers,
John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:48 am

He's not everyone's cup of tea and I suspect Trump might be a fan.

Lyrically there's a lot going on for me so overall I'm a fan too and he makes the playlists

jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:25 pm

Yup, the former inspired my friend's alternative title, I believe. THeir music bears listening to.

Cheers,
John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:34 am

My favourite pop song in the German language and it's a song about paranoia, fragility of peace and escalation. It's perfection to my ear and a reminder that German can be a beautiful language musically.

jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:32 am

German certainly can! The art song is mostly sung in German, like this for instance, with a brilliant English singer who died young:

99 Luftballons is brilliant, and very Cold War, since Germany would have been Ground Zero. I like it a lot, but I think my favorite German rock song is this, which I find hypnotic:

And then of course, there's this:

And Rammstein, but I'll leave their videos for another time!

Cheers,
John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:55 am

Superb stuff John! I've not heard that Queen version before. Credit to them.

The Beatles did some if their early songs in German for Hamberg tour too of course.

jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:08 pm

Yup, The Beatles even did Get Back in German, Geh raus, in about 1968, so pretty late. We had a German music contest in my classes and they would show up regualrly. Elvis did at least one German song, Wooden heart (Muss i denn).

Glad you enjoyed the Queen and the others! The Queen evidently took something like 100 hours to complete, they put some work into it.

Cheers,
John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:00 pm

This is the first film I took my eldest daughter to see at the cinema. I've got to be careful, she's a chip off the old block. :lol:

Your eyes so full of wonder
Your heart an innocent warrior
There’s a task for you
Our dearest one

Let it flow over you
This freedom you feel
And your deep thoughts
Our young girl

You'll come to understand
There's not much time left
To save the future
Of all our islands
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:36 pm

Camus, I'm not sure what you're recovering from exactly but I hope you're back to 100% soon.

I think we're roughly the same age, I'm early 40s, so you'll remember this song from the 90s. It's not about bipolar but the ending lyric and theme is a pertinent one "What if you never come down?"

I never did the UK rave scene but I had experiences jungle raving on Thai Islands in the bioluminescent South China Sea, which was something else.
Thanks Morph. Yes the BIG C i'm afraid. All good though. I'm basically recovering from the radiotherapy, it's nasty and affects all manner of your functionality. An evil necessity. But recovering well.

I'm slightly older, but was always a big Pulp fan. Babies and Do you Remember The First Time, brilliant stuff.

I was always more of a stoner than a raver, so missed out on that scene really, regrettably so. BUT like you I had some rather vivid times in both Thailand and Vietnam. I visited Thailand last year again actually., spent most of it on Koh Chang Island. Weed is now legal there, but vaping isn't, go figure...

Here's one for the Mad list - Mad by the fact that Nick Drake died via an overdose of Anti-depressants. There's a new covers album coming out and this is from it:

http://www.closetpoet.co.uk
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:43 pm

Kris, thanks for sharing what must be a very difficult experience for you.

There can be a big overlap between the serious mental illness and the physical ones I've noted e.g. a lot of Parkinson's disease suffers go manic because their drugs treat a dopamine deficiency and they can overshoot. Equally there can be reports of manic behaviour and big personality shifts in people with brain tumours. Sometimes they are suddenly able to play a musical instrument or paint in watercolour.

My Thai Islands experience was more Koh Phangan Full Moon or Half Moon Parties. I also got out to some of the smaller undeveloped islands by small boat where I slept on the open beach under the stars and ate barbecued fish that we'd just line caught fresh. On Koh Phangan there were quite a lot of drugs on offer and they also liked to lace their Whiskey cocktails with LSD and serve the drinks in buckets. This was the year after my bipolar diagnosis so I had to be careful. People think you are on drugs anyway so it's easy to fit in.

camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:51 pm

My drug taking days ended at Glastonbury one year. I had a psychotic episode, whereby I believed I was on the main screen of the Pyramid stage and everyone was watching my every move. It was truly terrifying. I ran miles to my car and drove home. Never touched weed or acid again.

http://www.closetpoet.co.uk
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:41 pm

That sounds like a horrible experience Kris. Grandiose delusions can very easily tip over into paranoia and dysphoria. I was fortunate during paranoid psychosis because I was euphoric at the same time rather than terrified or anything disturbing.

Paranoia is very show not tell in the way it presents. I get people in the bipolar community telling me they're paranoid all the time and I don't buy it. My friend who has a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia never calls me to say he's paranoid. He calls me to say he's come up with an idea that needs taking to the leaders of the free world.

I do get a kind of rational unease about things still. For example, today I found out that a picture of me featured in a success story that was distributed around the world on the MoDs internal online newspaper (it would have gone to overseas stationed troops etc.). It's a bit of an odd feeling that no one asked me about it and the first I knew was when someone shared a screenshot over Teams. I'm not only being watched, I'm being reported on by someone in Whitehall for the rolling news. :?
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:34 am

ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:50 pm

I'm out of faith and in my cups
I contemplate such bitter stuff.