Coldplay

"Senor, Senor, do you know where we're headin'? Lincoln County Road or Armageddon?"
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:17 pm

What does everyone think? Is their popularity really justified?

I've heard them compared to U2 mostly, sad to say. They are so much more enjoyable to me.
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:21 pm

I think they're plodding, unoriginal, insipid, completely formulaic, soulless, monotonous, and the singer comes across as smug and self-righteous. I hate them and they will be the foundation of my forthcoming bonfire of British guitar bands, propping up the feckless likes of Athlete, Franz Ferdinand and Kasabian. They are Radiohead and U2 pressed in a rock formation for thousands of years, leached of all blood, spunk and sweat and welded together in a sludgy, corpsed amalgam of everything that pop and rock music shouldn't be.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:31 pm

I Loved "Yellow" thought it was a cracking song. They are good background music, but then again who listens to background music?

I do think elitist views are so very boring though. Fuck, there are so many shite bands in the world, so many crap genres of music. The likes of Franz etc should be recognised for what they are. Good ole fashioned rock bands writing their own music and lyrics, rallying against the Pop Idol mentality.
http://www.closetpoet.co.uk
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:13 pm

I'm not sure what's elitist about saying that the few British guitar bands to make any impact on the charts recently have been one-track ponies. And there's nothing intrinsically good about being old-fashioned, a rock band, and writing your own music and lyrics.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:21 am

KJ,

Well I'd say in todays climate of Limp R&B, Faux Rap, Boy Bands, fooking Ring tones and manufactured 15 minutes of fame crap, I'd opt for good old fashioned rock bands writing their own tunes anyday of the week.
http://www.closetpoet.co.uk
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:09 am

So would I, if their tunes were any good. But as you say, it's just background music.
seeksthebalance

Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:46 pm

I liked coldplay. I even liked them when the second album sounded quite similar to the first. I can't stomach a third album which combines the tracks from the previous two without actually developing in style, content or production. I've been told that 'fix you' is an awesome track, but it just about sums up Chris Martin's 'holier than thou' attitude.

There's nothing wrong with doing charity work, but it starts to look suss when you do more photo shoots in a day than Kate Moss does lines of charlie.

There are good bands out there, but lets face it, the days of quality music actually achieving popular success are over now that the public at large has their music fed to them in comfortable commercial packaging.

Check out Nizlopi if you get a chance for something new fresh and a little bit tongue in cheek. http://www.nizlopi.com

The underground hides much beneath the mass of shite called chart music.

Seeks.

P.S. Kasabian are a decent bunch of blokes who just happen to re-write stone roses songs for a living. Not that I'm bitter.
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:33 pm

Good thoughts guys.

I liked Franz' Take Me Out, though I guess you are right kj, they are one-hit wonders. They do seem to me to be like ska music - it's just about having fun - therefore the quality of the music is and isn't top priority. I'd take that over Chris Martin and Chris Cornell any day - taking themselves waaay too seriously, thus being thrown into the dreadful category with Bono and Sting.

Good point seeks:
The underground hides much beneath the mass of shite called chart music.
- Caleb
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:18 pm

I like the Ferdies too. Saw them last year at the Waterfront in Norwich and it was a fine gig. (The Stella Artois was off and I was very ill the next day.) (I don't normally drink Stella but when the only other option is Worthington Cream Flow - what can you do?)

Their second album is due out next month. Be interesting to see whether they are indeed a one album wonder.

Cam