Making Contact - Poets' Graves anthology!

How to buy the book.......
Ros
antispam: no

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:07 pm

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=18093

Making Contact, the Poets' Graves Anthology featuring 25 illustrious names from this very site is now published, in case you hadn't heard - see link above for details of how to get hold of it. We're very pleased with the quality of the poems and the whole product.

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:25 pm

Well. I received my copy on Friday, and I'm about two thirds of the way through it, but my overwhelming feelings so far are of pride and astonishment. Did we make this? Yes we did. I think the standard of the poems is staggeringly good. And that is not veiled boastfulness. I am suffering from severe poem envy in respect of most of the poems I've read so far: "I wish I'd written that!"

It's all too easy, in the midst of the cut and thrust - or the flabby stab and parry - of everyday life here, to forget what heights so many of us can rise to on occasion. That it's only occasional is inevitable, but this collection is a more than honourable reminder of the days when we've been very good. And it's made me realise how rarely I reach that level, and made me want to be a lot harder on myself. (Although I also need to remind myself that not everything is going to be good, and the good can only arise out of a thick soggy mulch of the ordinary.)

And excellent editing too. Editing is a thankless task - everyone can cavil (personally I'd like to have seen more of Ray's poems in there, not to mention Geoff's wonderful Latin poem, although I understand that its omission was at his request) - so thank you editors. Starting with that poem of Jane's is inspired. And I haven't even got to the end of the book yet.

So, seasonally, let me say: God bless us every one.

David
Ros

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:15 pm

David, as one of the revered stalwarts of this site, whose standards are high and who had nothing to do with much of the process: this is high and worthy praise.

There are things I'd have liked to do differently and people who ought to have been included but didn't wish to be, but I think it's a fair representation of what we're capable of. The process was a bit hampered by people being busy at critical times, and then the last bit being rather rushed to get it out for Christmas - but the result is great. Everyone here should get a copy to see just how good we can be, and I think it's through supporting each other that many of us have got this far.

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:01 am

I could fall into a hole of sentimentality, oh I just did...

I've been here from the very beginning and to see how the standard of poems and poets have progressed via "workshopping" and to see those wonderful poems in print, is heart-warming.

I honestly choked a little when I read " In memory of Barrie Haughton" What a guy.

Of course there were ommisions, poets I'd love to have seen in print, but overall I think a splendid job and good representation of the poetic talent on here.

Again, well played to all involved.

Merry Christmas ya'll. x

And yes as an extra, the editing was very much appreciated...
http://www.closetpoet.co.uk
Magpie Jane
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:18 am

Thanks to all, congratulations to all!

Everything looks better by candlelight.
Everything sounds more plausible on the shortwave.
Nash

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:11 am

All I can do is add a big DITTO, to the above comments.

Actually, I'll also add a word of thanks to Ben who kicked the whole thing off, guided us through it, and brought the whole thing to fruition with such a wonderful final product.

Cheers Ben and all the very best for the future of Ravenshead Press!
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:29 am

Hopefully mine'll be waiting for me when I return home on the 29th.

Would love it if someone could scan and email the contents page or otherwise give me a clue as to what's inside. I'm not good with delayed gratification.
fine words butter no parsnips
Suzanne
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:50 am

Thanks for asking that k-j!
I'm still waiting too! Would love to see the contents page, please someone post the contents page somewhere? ?
Suzanne
Ros

Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:03 pm

Contents page available via the Kindle version preview http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ASSDYOS
Enjoy!
Preponderant Poster

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:01 am

Yes, I agree with all the above. An excellent body of work - and an anthology that stands up perfectly against other collections, if you know what I mean. I feel truly honoured to have a couple of poems rubbing shoulders with such good work!
Many thanks to the editors and Ben for all their hard work.

Very happy :)

Marc
oranggunung
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:27 am

My copy arrived just before Christmas and it felt just like a Christmas present.

Congratulations to all who were published and thanks to all who brought the idea to reality.

I'm keen to make some New Year's resolutions already.

og
brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:29 pm

Got mine yesterday. Christmas Day - perfect. Not started yet but I did notice I take up too much room. Apologies.

Well done everyone!

B.
Ros

Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:38 pm

Well, if anyone thinks we've got the balance wrong, write some great stuff and we'll have another go with volume 2!

Of course, Ben's got to sell enough too, so get publicising!

Ros
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:18 am

Ros wrote:Contents page available via the Kindle version preview http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ASSDYOS
Enjoy!
Marvellous, thanks!

I've looked up quite a few of them on the board and it seems that I somehow managed not to crit a single one... Always thought I was a fairly exemplary critter. Not so!

Some really great poems there. That will teach me to skip over poems from Suzanne or the two Janes. Ha ha, just kidding.

Of course there is the odd piece I think is a load of crap... wouldn't be an anthology if there wasn't.

Dying to read the whole thing properly, as a book.

Would also love some insight as to how you went about ordering the poems in the book.
fine words butter no parsnips
Suzanne
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:19 am

Lol. Cheeky kj. You got a response, a little gasp... Then a smile.

Thanks Ros.

Hope mine arrives today.
Too much of B? Hmm. Can't be.
Ros

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:11 pm

k-j, Ben did the ordering - we ran out of time for much discussion towards the end. I think he tried to put appropriate ones together.

Ros
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:40 pm

Read it today. Very interesting selections. Some interesting absences too.

I thought Barrie's poems were very well placed. Not sure how an "outsider" would read them, but for me, knowing how important he was, is, to the vibe of this site, they felt like very considered punctuation. Perhaps they hit me more because, on the whole, I felt the general vibe of PG was under represented, so Barrie's poems went some way to redress the balance. Not fully, but like I said very considered and well placed.

Thank you to the editors for all your efforts. Must have been tough. I apologise again for having to bail out of such a huge task.

B.
Ros

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:57 pm

It was quite difficult to select poems. There are absences, but we could only go with those who wanted to submit. Although (apart from the hard core!) the membership slowly turns over I think the spirit of PG remains pretty constant. Not sure whether we've quite captured that, whatever it is.

Ros
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Reading it, it's obvious that some people didn't submit. Therefore it feels like an attempt is being made to achieve a tone that is inevitably going to be difficult without certain voices being present. Or maybe an agreed representative voice was lacking from the start? I dunno. And I don't mean to gush on the collective gush, but it just struck me is all. I reiterate my praise for the editors. Tough job.

B.
Elphin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:53 pm

I just want to add my "very well done" to everyone involved.

Many of you will remember when the idea was first raised that I wasn't a supporter of the Anthology but I have to say it is particularly pleasing to see Barrie recognised. The Anthology feels a little bit like a "Caesura" in the life of PG.

elph
brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:51 am

Elphin wrote:The Anthology feels a little bit like a "Caesura" in the life of PG.
Not terminal I hope. :)

B.
Suzanne
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:35 pm

Finally it came. Wonderful to see it. Nice to hold it in my hands.
Thanks Ben and the editing team! Ros, Ian and Nash.

Warmly,
Suzanne
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:40 pm

I've posted a picture of the anthology on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameron_se ... hotostream

(Hope Kris doesn't mind but I also added his lovely seagull poem to an appropriate seagull picture?)

Dedicating the book to Barrie was a very nice touch and placing his (funny and moving) funeral poem at the end was inspired.

Reading through the collection - it was nice to reacquaint myself with some old poems - such as k.j.'s Resolution and Lia's The Collar and also to discover some excellent new poems like Crook the Gardener and Jane R's Oblique Ascension. ( I could easily have highlighted many others.)

Selling poetry, as I'm sure you all know, is not an easy business. Very few people spend money on poetry and an even smaller number will buy new work by living poets - so this book (good as it is) is unlikely to knock Fifty Shades of Smut off the best sellers list. So, why not buy a few extra copies yourself and pass them to your friends or family or posse(if you have one).

Thanks again to everyone involved.

Cam
"And I meet full face on dark mornings
The bestial visor, bent in
By the blows of what happened to happen."

Larkin
emuse
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:37 am

Starting from the outside, I don't think I've ever seen a more elegant cover for an anthology. Sam Webster's Falling Leaves seems the perfect choice to complement not only the title but the inner workings of the poems and poets as they strive to connect with the reader and page to page. The color choice is perfection and if you are lucky enough to have a copy you'll notice the outside feels like suede. Delicious. I'm proud to be a part of this for the cover alone :wink:

My friend Lia Brook's poem The Collar was as much a thrill to read today as it was the first time. I am also deeply touched by Barry's wisened Appletree. I think somehow he is here to see the blooms he helped nurture. I counted on his honesty and wit and always thrilled to his "good one" when a poem I wrote passed muster.

I was proud the day Picasso's Garden was chosen as a feature long ago. Very.

The editing is sensitive and subtle, making connections from poem to poem. Well done for piecing together quality poems from the collective mind of PG. Fine work from Brian, David, Ben, Rosemary, Cameron and others. I'm still making my way through and enjoying many of the poems new to me.

Thank you PG! Let's buy some copies. Valentine's Day is coming ....

Cheers,
E
Raincoat
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:18 am

I just tried to purchase this - the billing address I put a UK address because the bank needs to check this, and for postal address I put an Indonesian address.

I logged into the final step on paypal and a notice came up saying "residents of the UK may not send purchases to Indonesia". Is this a new thing because I've bought books before on Paypal, I'm not sure why it's stopping me? Has this happened to anyone else, or is this just for Indonesia? If this is a new regulation then I'm basically screwed when it comes to obtaining books.
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." Henry David Thoreau