The HyperTexts

The world outside PG
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:52 pm

Hi everyone,

Very much to my surprise, I was invited to submit to The HyperTexts by the editor, Mike Burch, back in June this year. Mike discovered me just chillin' on a little poetry site called PoetBay.

Mike published 10 poems in the Spotlight in the July issue; this was followed by a poem in the August Spotlight and another in the September Spotlight. I know, crazy!

If anyone's interested in reading, here's a link to my page, http://www.thehypertexts.com/F.F.%20Tea ... %20Bio.htm

This was, and is, a big thing for me, because I never really thought I'd amount to anything in Poetry World.

Mike is always interested in discovering fresh talent; and as a THT poet I'm able to make recommendations to him. So feel free to PM me here if you'd like to submit. Previously published poems can be included :-)

Best wishes,
Leaf
Macavity

Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:15 pm

Delightful leaf, brimming with musicality. kneadin u was so different. Loved it.

mac
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:17 pm

Thanks, mac!

Glad you enjoyed the musicality of it. Yes, a bit different there, lol. Funnily enough, together with 'Bite too', 'kneadin' u' triggered Mike's invitation to submit! I was just messing around, really, experimenting, so I didn't expect that at all.

Best,
Leaf
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:09 am

Congratulations, Felicity! Lovely poems! You are one of the few poets writing today who understands that poetry should be musical.
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:54 pm

Thanks, Caleb! Much appreciated. I do love music in poetry, probably because of my musical background. But I'll happily read anything, really :-)

Best wishes,
F.
pomespennyeach
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:56 am

Leaf,

I've not finished reading them all, but my favorites so far are Bite too (erotic), kneadin' you (frightening) and Lament of the Leaning Trees (just plain beautiful). All the lake poems struck a chord, though we didn't have swans. But I spent a lot of my happiest days at a Texas lake near where I grew up. Our main occupation (not mine, but everybody else's) was fishing for catfish. A bit of a different experience, but there's something about a lake that is universal.

PPE
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:21 pm

Hi PPE,

Thanks for selecting a few favourites! There are few things I enjoy more in life than visiting my local park, observing people and wildlife, and returning home to write poems about it. Your Texas lake sounds great; have you written anything about that? I like your thought that something about a lake is universal :)

Best wishes,
Leaf
pomespennyeach
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:28 pm

Finally got to Rat King.

Very cool.
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:37 pm

Thanks, PPE! I had a lot of fun with that one, kind of in X-Files mode :)
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:54 pm

Hi!

It's still September (just!), but the October issue of THT is up already... and I'm in the Spotlight again with two poems, via http://www.thehypertexts.com/Current_an ... Issues.htm (F.F. Teague) :)

'Moppet's Meteorite' describes the Winchcombe Meteorite from the perspective of a guinea pig belonging to the Wilcock family, on whose driveway the meteorite landed. The Wilcocks happen to be friends of the Teagues.

And 'The African jacana; or, Rhapsody in bluebeak' is about the breeding season of these beautiful birds :>)

Best wishes,
Leaf
Macavity

Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:49 am

and the air felt remarkably hot.
Joyous and delightful Fliss. Obviously, I appreciate a birdy poem, but loved the guinea pigs (appealed to my heart). Your r&r give a spring to the narrative. Have you thought of a pamphlet?

Your companion poets in Sept. I recognise too - Ann Drysdale and Martin Elster. I have an enjoyable day of readiing ahead with them and yourself :D

best

PhilMac or MacPhil or just plain Phil!

ps just one to keep on the radar in future:

http://theemmapress.com/about/submissions/
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:19 pm

Cheers, MacPhil! I enjoyed writing both poems and I'm pleased you found a spring there. The pamphlet idea is interesting and thanks for the link! I've just been reading 'About the Emma Press' and it's very cool :)

I know Ann and Martin from the Eratosphere and I got them into the HT. Well, Ann already had a page there, but I suggested she might like to submit a poem I'd particularly enjoyed on the 'sphere, a few years ago now. My latest recommendations have been John Isbell and Andrew Frisardi. I think I might be unusual in this, but I really am keen to make recommendations and see more poetry published. I hope you enjoyed your reading day!

Best wishes,
F.
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:36 pm

Hi,

I have two poems published in the Spotlight section of THT today and both were workshopped here. Link to November issue, http://www.thehypertexts.com/current_an ... issues.htm

Thank you!
Fliss
Macavity

Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:37 pm

I remember both of these Fliss. Pleased they have achieved flight from the PAT nest :D

congratulations

Phil
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:16 pm

Thanks, Phil! Happy that Mike published the photo by Bro Lego too :)

Best wishes,
Fliss
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:47 pm

Hi!

Mike Burch offered to publish 'Ode on Bird Island' in THT; I think that'll appear in the Spotlight in December (^v^)

Best wishes,
Fliss
Macavity

Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:15 pm

Great news Fliss. Many congrats 😃🍷
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:43 pm

Cheers, Phil. Are we drinking now? Hooray! :D 🍷
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:39 pm

Hello!

More good news thanks to THT. Today my poem 'The Penis Tree' appears in the Spotlight for January 2022. It was originally submitted to The Ekphrastic Review's Sex Contest; a different poem made the final, but I had an inkling Mike Burch might like this one and I was right, http://www.thehypertexts.com/Current_an ... Issues.htm :lol:

Moreover, Mike has agreed to publish a trio of swan poems in the Spotlight come February. One of these is 'The first contender', workshopped here. Thanks for help with this. 'Yay!' (^v^) (Word-Bird is pleased)

Best wishes,
Fliss
Macavity

Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:55 pm

Well done again Fliss on your continuing success. Pleased to see the swan poems finding a home and the nunnery dining was...😉

best

Phil
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:37 pm

Cheers, MacPhil! Nunnery dining, lol. Whatever next? I'm rather intrigued by the Romance of the Rose manuscript that includes the tree illustration. I might have to explore it further :shock: :lol:
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:17 pm

Hello,

I'm surprised yet pleased to report that my poem 'The Penis Tree' remains in the Spotlight this month at The HyperTexts, listed just below a treasury of Valentine's Day poems :lol:

I'm not sure what happened with my trio of swan poems, but perhaps I shouldn't enquire. I'm happy for them to receive some local appreciation and I might just pop them on my website with a photo for each one :D

Best wishes,
Fliss
Macavity

Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:27 pm

Congratulations again Fliss. Pleased to see the recognition of your talent.

best

Phil
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:35 pm

Cheers, Phil :)

Bw,
Fliss
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:52 pm

Back again :)

Astonishingly, I'm #18 in Mike's list, 'Our top 50 contemporary poets and translators for 2021', http://www.thehypertexts.com/Most%20Pop ... 0Pages.htm

I posted the link on my FB page earlier today, thanking Mike, and he commented, "It seems our readers like your work, which doesn't surprise me. It's what I've been predicting ...". It's true that he always thought I might be popular with readers, for some reason. Anyway, thanks to everyone here who continues to assist with my poems :)

Best wishes,
Fliss