Poets' Graves Anthology - call for submissions!

The world outside PG
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:59 am

Ros wrote:take each other to bed
Alright, I'm in!
fine words butter no parsnips
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:00 am

k-j wrote:
Alright, I'm in!
I mean, I will submit some things before the deadline, as I always intended to!
David

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:12 am

k-j wrote:
k-j wrote:
Alright, I'm in!
I mean, I will submit some things before the deadline, as I always intended to!
Yay! I was going to say that a book without your poems in it would be the poorer for it.

But your early comment about vanity publishing - i.e., in what way is this not vanity publishing? - expressed some of my doubts about the project (as did Elph's). As you can see, I have capitulated too - resistance is futile - but I have been giving the whole matter some thort.

1. I don't think this is vanity publishing in the true sense of the word, although clearly we are publishing the book at our expense (on which see 2 below), which is one of the key characteristics of vanity publishing. But we are not each publishing our own work alone, we are celebrating a community of poets (okay, would-be poets if we're honest, but quite good would-be poets) - so this is not vanity publishing: this is amity publishing. (Boom tish.)

2. If I understand this correctly, Ben is going to bear the brunt of the cost? I may have got that wrong but, if I haven't, I don't think it's fair, and some way should be found to share it.

3. I think there should be at least one Barrie poem included, either as the first or the last, and I think we should tell his nearest and dearest that we have done this. He was my Yoda when I first joined the forum - a role now taken, in part, at least, by Geoff - and a lot of us owe him a similar debt of gratitude.

4. For similar reasons, we should ask Cam whether he would like to have a poem included, and if he does we should simply accept it; there is no suggestion of its being a submission for consideration. He is our great progenitor, after all, although now, like his Great Predecessor in that role, not much seen about the place. There are, however, occasional fleeting glimpses of his handmaiden.

5. Finally, I think the editors should be given a discretionary right, once they have reviewed all the submissions, to contact any poet direct to ask whether such and such a poem could be included. It's like dry stone walling; sometimes you need a stone of a certain shape to get the others to fit together.

And them's my thorts.
Ros
antispam: no

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:46 am

They seem reasonable thorts to me. I believe Ben isn't considering this as something that he is paying for; I believe he thinks he can, at least, cover costs. Vanity publishing would mean contributors paying - Ben is suggesting all contributors get one copy free, and buy more at wholesale cost - which would be higher than printing costs, thereby helping pay for the free copies. Whether, if we all get a free copy and buy at least one or two others, we can break even (or more), I don't know, but I believe Ben is thinking so. The idea is we buy at wholesale and sell(!) for a bit more, thereby profiting the poet too. Again, no idea if anyone has a ready market out there! Perhaps one or two of us do.

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:46 am

I'm curious how things are going.

Are submissions still being accepted? Is the deadline still soft?

Just curious, no pressure.
Suzanne
Ros

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:50 pm

I reckon we have submissions from about 22 people. Most of us have voted on the majority of them, but a couple of editors are slacking rather...

I think at present if people still wanted to submit that would be ok, but we will be drawing it to a close very soon. I'd like to see some firm decisions over the next few weeks.

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks for that update, Ros.

How about the cover jacket. Can it come from our own talent as well? Would that be great???
We've got some very talents artists here.

Perhaps those 22 contributors could vote on a jacket?

??

Suzanne
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Suzanne wrote:Thanks for that update, Ros.

How about the cover jacket. Can it come from our own talent as well? Would that be great???
We've got some very talents artists here.

Perhaps those 22 contributors could vote on a jacket?

??

Suzanne
I vote for that photo of Travis with the beer cans - or in fact, any photo of Travis.

Edit: bottles, not cans: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2154&start=100#p110263
Antcliff
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:49 pm

My vote would be for this sweet picture (by Lake) on the cover.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=17744
We fray into the future, rarely wrought
Save in the tapestries of afterthought.
Richard Wilbur
Travis
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:05 pm

k-j wrote: I vote for that photo of Travis with the beer cans - or in fact, any photo of Travis.
I have a selection of nudes, sexual artifacts of the long-distance portion of my current relationship. I'll be sure to submit them for consideration.

In the meantime, here I am outcooling the ferns on my last trip to the redwoods:

Ros now wants to be a Sequoia...
There's only one rule in street and bar fights: maximum violence, instantly. (Martin Amis, "Money")
Ros

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Select Samaritan wrote:
Ros now wants to be a Sequoia...
not sure what to read into that...

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:09 pm

You know the best bit of this anthology? Finding out all your real names...
Preternatural Poster

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Select Samaritan wrote: Ros now wants to be a Sequoia...
Ros wrote: not sure what to read into that...
Are you making a "wood" reference? Not that I would (Ha. Would.) entirely get the joke. I just...I just hate to miss anything. Anyway, I was merely alluding to what I remember as a brief period of faux flirtation between us. And Ray. Ray might have been involved.

It just felt natural--seeing as I was already laughing at myself--to broaden the scope of things and move in that direction. A farcical nod if you will, meant only to elicit a dry smile. I did, after all, accuse you of wanting me on at least one occasion. Although it was probably more. I remember it being more of a theme than an isolated event.

Jus' bein' foolish b'y. Havin' a laugh.
There's only one rule in street and bar fights: maximum violence, instantly. (Martin Amis, "Money")
Ros

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:08 pm

Indeed, SS, I remember a time when we got on well, until you accused me of being a ***** **** ****@@!!"!!@@***! Pretty sure Ray wasn't involved, though, unless you were flirting with him. I have, however, of course never stopped wanting you.

Ros
Preternatural Poster

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:37 pm

Yeah, I've actually considered apologizing to both you and Nash for being a prick on a couple of specific occasions. But I decided instead to just act like less of a prick in the future. You may have noticed. You might not have. Either way, mollified.

As for the rest, Ray is no doubt bursting with jealousy. And yes, of course.
Ros

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:16 pm

Select Samaritan wrote:Yeah, I've actually considered apologizing to both you and Nash for being a prick on a couple of specific occasions. But I decided instead to just act like less of a prick in the future. You may have noticed. You might not have. Either way, mollified.

As for the rest, Ray is no doubt bursting with jealousy. And yes, of course.
Sounds like a eminently suitable attitude. Find us a comfortable copse.
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:47 pm

How about a composite cover with photos of each contributor standing in front of a Giant Redwood?
Oregon B 046.jpg
Oregon B 046.jpg (174.76 KiB) Viewed 12486 times
brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:40 am

Ros wrote:You know the best bit of this anthology? Finding out all your real names...
Sorry for disappointing in that respect.

B.
Ros

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:22 am

brianedwards wrote:
Ros wrote:You know the best bit of this anthology? Finding out all your real names...
Sorry for disappointing in that respect.

B.
That's ok, Englebert.
Preponderant Poster

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:46 pm

Whoops - late to the party as always. Been a bit of a strange year for me one way and another...

Anyway I have just submitted some poems - all of which have been posted here prior to July.
Hope you're still holding it open... but if you don't like my poems :( you can always just say 'Sorry - you're too late Marc' and I wont be hurt!

Thanks all - look forward to seeing the final work - which will have high quality content (apart from any of mine of course!) I'm certain.

Marc
Ros

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:14 am

Submissions are now closed.

We've had poems from 28 poets - I haven't added them up, but I think it's over 150 poems - thanks, everyone. It should be great anthology. Now we have the tricky part!

Ros
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:32 am

Just curious. Might this still arrive for xmas?
seth
We fray into the future, rarely wrought
Save in the tapestries of afterthought.
Richard Wilbur
Ros

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:14 pm

Antcliff wrote:Just curious. Might this still arrive for xmas?
seth
I think that's the plan, but we tend to go in fits and starts. We've got the poems selected, but it's all gone quiet again. I'll try rattling some timbers.

Ros
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:54 am

Ros wrote:We've got the poems selected

Ros
Have you let people know yet?

B.
Ros

Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:27 pm

brianedwards wrote:
Ros wrote:We've got the poems selected

Ros
Have you let people know yet?

B.
No. I was rather hoping Ben would do that, it being his ball.