The heaven of an over turned
Bowl full of dust and tar. I've learned
That happiness is not a thought
Which opens to a thing this close.
It is a breathing in, to cut
That short. I'm glad to be here, but
These people are too strong a dose.

How would you scan this???
"It is not necessary that a poem should rely on its music, but if it does rely on its music that music must be such as will delight the expert."
Ros
antispam: no

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:45 am

No time now - I find the first 3 lines not regular, then it becomes more iambic.

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:15 pm

The main stick points are bowl and my... But isn't is true that my only needs to be stressed if you want to emphasise it being my mind rather than someone else's? Ie, moot.
"It is not necessary that a poem should rely on its music, but if it does rely on its music that music must be such as will delight the expert."
Jackie
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:49 pm

Clemon, I just saw this. You may have moved on past it, but why not check out the stress (peaks in amplitude) in your own speech using spectrum analysis software? Such as Praat or WaveSurfer?

The assumption being that metrical beats in poetry (ought to) follow the natural stresses in speech.

Jackie
clemonz
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:43 am

i don't think that's the issue; i don't think the issue is being tone deaf. i think it's that i'm not compellingly musical.