A Meeting with the Almighty

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:59 pm

I'll see you
tomorrow,
I said.

I'll be there,
but you won't,
came the retort.

What makes you say that?

I know everything,
I made it so.

If you're saying it's all preordained,
then I'll prove you wrong.

I knew you'd say that,
so I moved you forward
by a day.
You never showed up.

How do you know,
you've been here all the time.

I'm omnipresent and omniscient.

You're a cheat.

Just omnipotent.

Do you exist, then?

Why,
asked God,
do you need proof?
After letting go of branches and walking through the ape gait, we managed to grasp what hands were really for......
BenJohnson
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster
antispam: no

Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:49 pm

I love the idea, but for some reason this doesn't quite work for me. it is fine up to and including
I knew you'd say that,
so I moved you forward
by a day.
You never showed up.
I'm not sure what the change is from there on. but it stops working for me. The quoted section is a highlight for me a great humorous moment in the discussion, God as a cheat, proving you wrong.
David

Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:58 pm

Phew. God's existence. Freewill. Foreknowledge and all that. You pick all the easy subjects, don't you.

This reminded me of something I read years ago, possibly in The Thousand and One Nights, which seems to have been summarised quite well here:

There is a merchant in Baghdad who sends his servant to buy provisions from the market. The servant soon returns trembling with fear and says: ‘Master, as I was going with the jostling crowds in the market, there was a push from behind. I turned and saw a woman. She was death. Now master, give me your horse. I shall go to Samarra and save myself.’ The master gave him his horse. The servant climbed it and dug his spurs in its flanks, and as fast as the horse could run he went. In the evening the Master went to the market and asked the woman: ‘Why did you threaten my servant?’ She said, ‘I was surprised to see him in Baghdad, for I have an appointment with him in Samarra.’

You'll have read that before, I'm sure, but I found the resemblance to your poem quite striking. Or am I barking up completely the wrong tree again?

Cheers

David
Ros

Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:55 pm

Ah, well, it reminded me of the story about the man in prison due to be hanged within the week but not when he expects it. So he reasons that it can't be Friday, because that's the last day and so he'd expect it, and so it can't be Thursday, for the same reason...so he works this through for the week and reasons that they can't hang him any day. Then they hang him.

But I digress...

One obscure bit: Is it the human saying

I think it must be, though it wasn't immediately obvious.

The argument: God would know whether the person was going to be there or not anyway, without having to move him in time. So I'm not sure about the logic of that bit. And I guess if you're omnipotent, perhaps you're in charge of the rules and so it's never cheating...

I do love a bit of ontological theorizing, Gromit...
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Prolific Poster

Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:30 pm

A Christmas entertainment to make the cream curdle after all those mince pies, barrie.

My only problem was the last Godly question. Is it,

'Why? Do you need proof?'

or

'Why do you need proof?'

Whichever it is I suspect it isn't the sort of read to wake to on a hungover morning. Not that I have those (much) nowadays.

Jimmy
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:08 pm

Thanks Ben - I get some strange ideas, so it's not surprising when they don't strike chord - I blame God.

Thanks David - Yes, I know the story, it's a good one, but the poem wasn't written with that in mind. The idea came from Thoke and his topic in Any Other Business on determinism - I'm more for indeterminism. I can't prove it though.

Thanks Ros - The N and God take each verse in turn to speak, so it was the N trying to disprove preordination.
Ros wrote:The argument: God would know whether the person was going to be there or not anyway, without having to move him in time. So I'm not sure about the logic of that bit. And I guess if you're omnipotent, perhaps you're in charge of the rules and so it's never cheating...
- Ah, the logic - Well, God would know, but the N wouldn't. God also knows that every effect has a cause, so the cause of the N missing the meeting was that God moved him through time.
The N (not me) calls God a cheat , and God replies - just omnipotent.

Just a lighthearted look at determinism, or preordainment for the religious minded.

Thanks Jimmy - I'm glad you asked that question. That's why I split the question with "asked God". If I'd put "asked God" at the end, then the comma, or lack of one, would have left you without a choice - I'd sooner you choose which question it is.

Cheers all

Barrie
After letting go of branches and walking through the ape gait, we managed to grasp what hands were really for......
juliadebeauvoir
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:24 pm

I knew you'd say that,
so I moved you forward
by a day.
You never showed up.
How do you know that God did not determine indeterminism? Mmmmmhhhh...
The above verse was the pillar of the poem and a perfect chess move.
How do you know,

I'm omnipresent and omniscient.

You're a cheat.

Just omnipotent.

Do you exist, then?

Why,
asked God,
do you need proof?
Then ending left me scratching my head but these are weighty thoughts so early in the morning. Its never explained why God is not always around or everywhere--just all powerful. Wouldn't he be omniscient if He moved the N ahead one day? Oh the theology....
I enjoyed this one. Wouldn't a question mark come after
How do you know,
Or maybe you have already gone back a day and put it in...

Cheers,
Kim
Last edited by juliadebeauvoir on Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."
Danté
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:04 pm

You certainly come up with some varied poems that explore religion and death.
This is very entertaining and also interesting to ponder, enjoying the humour along the way.

Yes, I have a bottle open, and the bubbly is in the appropriate bucket.

All the best for the coming year, Cheers, and thanks

Tim
to anticipate touching what is unseen seems far more interesting than seeing what the hand can not touch
dogofdiogenes
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:46 pm

'I made it so'

am I the only sad puppy who was reminded of Captain Jean-Luc Picard? Doh!

dogbyday
I never give explanations-Mary Poppins (Management in the NHS-rewritten by Nightingale F,. original by Hunt,.G)
twoleftfeet
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
Location: Standing by a short pier, looking for a long run-up

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:16 pm

Wow! A real brain-twister!
My head hurts and I HAVEN'T been drinking..

The absence of a question mark after "Why" at the end is a nice touch.

Next time you have a word with Big G, Barrie, ask him if female bishops are pre-ordained.

Geoff
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:12 am

Thanks Kim & Tim.
dogofdiogenes wrote:'I made it so'

am I the only sad puppy who was reminded of Captain Jean-Luc Picard?
- Never saw it 'til you mentioned it - he always gave the instruction. Now that you have mentioned Picard, I can imagine the poem being a dialogue between him and Q.
twoleftfeet wrote:Next time you have a word with Big G, Barrie, ask him if female bishops are pre-ordained
- Mention female bishops - Do you want to see me thunderbolted??

Cheers everyone

Barrie
beautifulloser
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:27 pm

Freakin' Jesus, Baz. Admire how much brain ache you've crammed into realtively few lines. Fave part was the ending, which has already been commented on but further thumbs up from me. My brain now needs massaging, fanning and sweet nothings whispered to it by naked virgins . . . .

big love
x
I'm sick of it, sick of it all. I know I'm right and I don't give a shit!
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:10 pm

Thanks beau - Can't help you with virgins I'm afraid, I dont know any.

cheers

Barrie
Nigel
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:54 pm

hmm . . . I can't help feeling that the metaphysics behind this poem couldn't have been handled more imaginatively. I found the dialogue rather lack lustre and the reasoning somewhat dubious. Sorry but this poem simply doesn't have enough about it to make me want to look into its mechanics further.
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:54 pm

Thanks for the honest reponse, Nigel. There isn't much in the way of mechanics to look into and the metaphysics should be read more tongue-in-cheek. Like I said in an earlier post, it's just a light-hearted response to the idea of determinism, a thread that was started in Any Other Business by Thoke - Something I don't subscribe to, nor do I believe in God.

cheers

Barrie
Sharra
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:52 am

I've finally had a chance to reply to this one. I wanted say I thought was great and made me chuckle.
It reminded me of a quote from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy;
The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn´t it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don´t. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn´t thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
It is at the edge of the
petal that love waits
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:30 am

BUMP.
http://www.closetpoet.co.uk
twoleftfeet
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
Location: Standing by a short pier, looking for a long run-up

Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:23 pm

barrie wrote:Thanks for the honest reponse, Nigel. There isn't much in the way of mechanics to look into and the metaphysics should be read more tongue-in-cheek. Like I said in an earlier post, it's just a light-hearted response to the idea of determinism, a thread that was started in Any Other Business by Thoke - Something I don't subscribe to, nor do I believe in God.

cheers

Barrie
I hope you are wrong, Barrie, because I am missing you already
Travis
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:54 am

No offence to anyone else, but our loss here has made me realize how often I would wonder what Barrie would think of this or that. Much more so than most other people. I had great intellectual respect for the man. Huh, "had". The finality of this makes me a little angry. That may very well be a selfish thing to say coming from a stranger in the proverbial night, considering that as such I know little more than most of you, if anything more at all. But I have to wonder, and I don't mind doing it out loud, if perhaps happiness intead should be in order if whatever it was that overtook the beating heart of this place was such that death would be a reprieve. But enough of that. I don't want to invite any discussion on the matter. It's cheap and ultimately unimportant. He's gone and we loved him in our own ways and that's that.

I miss you too. Would you have thought such a thing? Beyond moderator civility I mean. Well, I do. The line between Newfoundland and PG has been blurred. You've left an emotional bruise as palpable as any I've known. Just thought you should know, in case It does exist. I'm agnostic myself.
There's only one rule in street and bar fights: maximum violence, instantly. (Martin Amis, "Money")
dedalus
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:21 am

Yes, it is a kind of puzzled anger ... an "emotional bruise". Thanks for that, Sam. You've spoken up for many of us.

Bren
emuse
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:53 am

"Do you exist, then?

Why,
asked God,
do you need proof?"

Did you ever find out?

Miss you Barrie.

E