Moving House

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:01 pm

Mac, I did have a quick look at the Imperial press releases and they are interesting. The underlying studies would be well worth delving into.

With Science, as I'm sure you'll know, there has to be agreement by consensus and, unlike climate change causes, I don't think an absolute consensus had been reached on man made causes of coastal erosion although climate change certainly does appear to be a significant factor and managing coastal defences is expensive. Prevention is always better than cure.
Macavity

Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:09 pm

Morph

Somewhat tangentially, after some discussion with John, and in the interests of geographic consensus, where would you locate the beginning/ending of the English Channel?
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:53 pm

Jumping in - On that note, I'll have to push out my definition a bit to take account of the Channel Islands. I'd not thought of that. But basically for me growing up in Kent, the Channel is what you swim. North is the Thames Estuary. West is - the Solent, I guess, then the Atlantic after the Isle of Wight?

Cheers,
John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:56 pm

Je ne pense pas aux frontières mais certains disent que les Français aimeraient avoir leur Cabillaud à la Provençale et le manger.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:58 pm

Cabillaud I believe is cabilhau in Occitan. The word seems to come from the Basque. As I understand it, it's morue until it's cooked, then it's cabillaud.

Cheers,
John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:03 pm

Thanks John, I was thinking of cake as a cooked thing and I'm no poet in French clearly.

In answer to the English Channel question. I think it begins at the Atlantic and ends at the North Sea but I wasn't sure if that was a trick question?
Macavity

Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:11 pm

jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:00 pm

Ah! Well, cabillaud is cod. :)

I clicked on the English Channel link but it puts an ad on top of it and won't let me scroll, for whatever reason.

Cheers,
John
ton321
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:27 pm

Hi Lia

Enjoyed the piece very much, the way it builds up, to it's watery conclusion. Agree with others with the phrase -it's great -"the lands loose and brittle hip", it seems to be at the core of the poems meaning, not just a nice metaphor. I actually enjoyed the increasing white spaces, which brought an extra dimension to the piece, ironically taken from Concrete Poetry, where everything is starting to crumble like RAAC because of coastal erosion.
Counting the beats,
Counting the slow heart beats,
The bleeding to death of time in slow heart beats,
Wakeful they lie.

Robert Graves
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:17 pm

Look what happens when I go off to work just for one day - the thread becomes a strange land where cake is now cod and there's a sudden difficulty in locating the English Channel. I blame the French.

Are we talking fish cakes?

At the risk of annoying some (or everyone), there was a useful study this year about coastal erosion. It was found that during the last significant warm period, about 100,000 years ago, the rising sea levels weren't caused by the Arctic melting, but by the Antarctic melting. The study explained that the sea levels hadn't currently risen for two main reasons – rising land and the current stability of the Antarctic (which isn't melting for some reason). So, it appears that coastal erosion is not currently caused by rising sea levels. However, it is caused by the sea, and also by rainfall (the main two troublemakers). I gather there's not much that can be done about the rain (unless we invest in a good few buckets and some decent guttering), but there are ways to slow down the impact of the sea. Maybe we should talk to the Dutch? - they know all about sea defence! Mind you, I think we know quite a bit too, we just don't fund the work like we should.

Here's one of the articles about coastal erosion:

https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/news/fossili ... al-warming

Well anyway, that's my general thoughts on it. The environmental issues that bother me most are probably waste and plastics.

Lia
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:27 pm

Thank you, T. It's nice to have another vote for the crumbling visuals. I've been thinking about this and might try something where the poem starts off with neat and tidy five-line stanzas and then falls apart. At the moment, it's a bit crumbly right from the beginning. There's work to do on it, but I'll try to be careful as I revise.

Lia