Hosting renewal

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:28 pm

THIS IS NOT A POEM>>

So, I pay for the hosting of this place, I also look after the updating of the software and general maintenance of the place. Basically I make sure it doesn't it doesn't go under!

And that's fine, in general it's no big deal. UNTIL:

I have to PAY!

Let me explain:

I now have to pay for virtual space.

Once upon a time (not too long ago) the hosting was “unlimited” which meant any number of files (meaning: images, text, uploads etc were FREE to store)

Alas, many hosts (including mine) are now changing the way they charge and the host I use is now charging for different levels of hosting, so I have to be very careful of the amount of space I use. Total pain in the arse!

So this is just a heads up to say: it may be a case at some point you may have to contribute to the hosting.

I took this place over for the love of it, not the fucking-financial-burden!

This years hosting has already been covered by a kind financial benefactor - Mr Jonas Chivery. Thank you Jonas.
http://www.closetpoet.co.uk
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:07 pm

I've been thinking about this for a little while, Kris. What if you put a funding page up on the site? Members could make voluntary donations via Paypal, perhaps, and there could be a counter running throughout the year with a target goal. The donations could be anonymous so that members could contribute what they can afford without feeling uncomfortable if they can only manage 50p. By the end of the year you could see if you've collected enough to fund 2023 voluntarily. If it works, then each year's funding would pay for the following year.
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:02 am

Camus (I've momentarily forgotten what your actual name is, sorry), as you'll recall, I paid for half a year a couple years ago. I can do that again. Indeed, I'll make a commitment to paying half of all the hosting fees going back to my first contribution, and then going forward for at least a few years. Just tell me what you have spent, and how much you need.

Oh, I see that someone else has covered this year, and that the fees have gone up. Is it possible that another hosting company might be a better choice? Moving a site from one hosting company to another isn't that difficult. You might consider hosting the site with a U.S. company. (Everything seems cheaper in the U.S., so I am guessing that hosting is cheaper too.) But if you host it in the U.S., you might have to drop the .uk extension. We would have to look into it.

In any event, let me know what your needs are and I'll help out.

Caleb
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:34 am

Lia,
I've been thinking about this for a little while, Kris. What if you put a funding page up on the site? Members could make voluntary donations via Paypal, perhaps, and there could be a counter running throughout the year with a target goal. The donations could be anonymous so that members could contribute what they can afford without feeling uncomfortable if they can only manage 50p. By the end of the year you could see if you've collected enough to fund 2023 voluntarily. If it works, then each year's funding would pay for the following year.
I think that's a good idea, that may work well!

The last thing I want to do is put any financial pressure on people. As you say 50p here $1 there, all makes a difference.

Caleb

I was actually referring to you, whilst protecting your privacy!

The hosting cost hasn't gone up and I'm very happy with my present hosts, I know them well. As I mentioned, it's not the cost that has changed, but rather the quota's allowed.
Moving a site from one hosting company to another isn't that difficult
On the contrary, for a site with the structure and information of this nature, it's a major pain, especially when changing domain names as well as hosting. I've already done it once, I'm not keen to do it again.

Anyhow there is no immediate problem and i'll most certainly look into Lia's idea.

Thanks all
Kris
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:06 am

Sorry, I didn't understand what you were doing by giving me a false name.

But wasn't it about two years ago that I sent you money? So how can I have covered this year's expenses?

I guess you don't want one person paying the entire bill, lest that person feel that he owns the site or has more rights than others, and I understand that. I'll make a donation once you set up a PayPal address. My only concern is that PayPal's fees have gone up in the last year. Since this is not a commercial venture, perhaps members could make donations as "friends and family". You could ask PayPal if that would be okay -- they may have lower fees for charitable adventures.

You could also set up a page on Go Fund Me. Go Fund Me allows contributors to decide how much of a fee they are willing to pay.

But let me add that my generosity doesn't come with strings attached. Although I offered to share responsibility for the site when you posted a note saying you didn't want to do it any more, I wasn't really looking forward to it. I just happen to have money these days, and I enjoy being helpful.
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:40 pm

You could also set up a page on Go Fund Me. Go Fund Me allows contributors to decide how much of a fee they are willing to pay.
Another good option!

Thanks Caleb, I'll have a ponder.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:08 pm

Hi Guys, it's official!

After consideration, gofund was by far the simplest and (so it seems) most efficient way of grabbing some cash from y'all.

So here is the link - https://gofund.me/c913c12b

I will though reiterate - there is no immediate issue with the hosting and if no-one contributes, then the site will keep sailing...That said, all contributions (great or small) are very much appreciated.

I should probably post this in a more appropriate forum, which i will.

Thanks
Kris
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:10 pm

So - One single person has contributed! Thank you x

I'll leave that here.

Any comments welcome.

Just ONE PERSON!
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:05 pm

Kris, instead of pinning the thread here, would it be a better idea if you created a subheading on the home page. For instance, it could be the third subheading in Forum Guidelines (below "Hello, Good Evening and Welcome"). You could call it something like,

"Hosting Renewal Tip Jar"

You could write the mission objective with an incentive, and include the link to the gofundme page. This is just an idea, Kris, but what if,
The Mission

Our mission is to raise funds for next year's renewal fees. The goal is £75.

If we pass our goal by the end of this year, any further money will go into a prize pot. The prize pot will be divided by twelve and we can start up a glorious monthly poem award (The Proles Award... The PAT Prize). Example;

If we raise £87 by the end of the year, then the monthly prize will be a round and shiny pound for the best poem each month in '23 (chosen by Admin/Mods).

How exciting is that! So roll up your sleeves and search your settees. All those coppers cluttering up pockets?... we want them! Find a lucky penny on the path?... no problem! Pennies make pounds and pounds make millionaires out of poets, this time next year...

All contributions great and small will be welcomed with open arms and squeals of delight. Here's the illustrious link:

https://gofund.me/c913c12b

And just imagine. If we beat our goal early, we don't have to wait so long to start the PAT Prize!

camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:49 am

A most excellent idea, and this is why you should probably be a moderator? If of course you'd be happy accepting such a role? You'd be a very welcome addition and would most definitely lively up the place.

Anyhow something to ponder? Thanks for your input.

Cheers
Kris
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:42 pm

Well Kris, I'm glad you like the idea. It might actually work, too. Plus it would be something a poet can add to their bio. "Winner of the PAT Prize" (or Proles Award etc) sounds good, doesn't it.

As for moderator. I'd be thrilled to bits and would accept in a heartbeat, so thanks very much for suggesting it. I've always wanted a green name (most important thing, obviously). It might also mean that I could help the other mods pick the winners, which I'd love to do most of all. I've been thinking about running my own comp one day, you see.

But there's a two-pronged problem. Firstly, though I'm an old member (no quips!), I haven't been back long and I don't even have four stars. The locals might get rowdy. Secondly, I'm not very technological.

I will definitely ponder it, though, while I write 500 haikus....

Lia
Macavity

Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:23 am

Your energy would be as much appreciated as your poetry Lia :D

Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:16 am

haha! That takes me back, Phil. I remember jumping up and down to that in some club once upon a time. Now, with horlicks in hand, it's more like....(especially from 2:50)

Macavity

Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:56 am

👏😂
Macavity

Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:52 am

A thank you to Fliss, Caleb and Anon for their contributions to funding this site👏

All the best

Phil
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:17 am

Oh! The target has been met already and it's only September. Great work to all the contributors!

You do know that we could actually start a Pat Prize come January. Any more money raised between now and 31st December could go into a prize pot, then be split by the 12 months of 2023. But... what do people really feel about having a Pat Prize? I have lots of ideas about how it might work and I'm sure others do too, but is there interest in a monthly prize?

Lia
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:53 am

Yes, a HUGE thank you to all who have contributed, much appreciated. Target reached and surpassed, brilliant.

I'm all for distribution of wealth. So any ideas welcome.

Thanks again
Kris
Macavity

Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:24 pm

Just noticed John's support too! Much appreciated John👍

Phil
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:25 am

Okay Kris, so this is what I've been thinking, but I'd be keen to have thoughts from everyone.

Ideas.

Instead of once a month, it could be a quarterly prize. This would mean that the prize pot would be divided by four instead of twelve. Therefore, bigger winnings! It would give the 'scout/s' more time to find contenders, too, and would be less of an undertaking.

The first PAT Prize would take place on the 31st of March, 2023.

Between the 1st of January and the 31st of March, the scout/s would select work from 'Experienced', 'Beginners', 'Touch' and 'Prose'. Maybe a limit of four poems a month, which would mean that the maximum number of contenders every quarter would be twelve and a minimum of three.

A scout would simply write PAT in the thread of the poem they like and then jot down the name of the poet and the title of the poem. If the poet doesn't want their poem to be considered, all they would have to do is reply in the thread or send a private message to the scout.

On, or just before, the 31st of March, the scout/s would private message the judge/s with the shortlist so a winner can be chosen. I don't think there should be a 2nd, 3rd, or honourable mentions. This would make things more complicated. But the shortlist would be put on the PAT prize board each quarter; the winner and their poem pasted above the list when it was chosen.

Edit: Further Thoughts:

The judge/s and scout/s could change every quarter so that they have an opportunity to take part in the prize and also, because tastes differ, it would make for a fairer selection process.

Alternatively, you could have one person who chooses the shortlist and picks the winner (again, this person changing every quarter).

Lia
Last edited by Lia on Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:50 am

I've just noticed that the funding has risen again! Many thanks to Tristan and everyone else. It's a lovely thing that PAT has been taken care of for another year.

Because the funding pot is still increasing, does this mean that members are interested in a prize? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts. Even a yes, no or maybe would be useful.
Macavity

Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:48 am

My personal view is that monies were donated for the continuance of the site and not for prizes.

Best

Phil
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:06 am

That's very useful, Phil. And quite right, too. Whether a prize helps to incentivize members into donating towards the hosting renewal, is a question I don't know the answer to. But that was the main aim.

For a long time, I have been planning to run my own competition here in the South so that a percentage of monies raised can fund the local environment (nature and community), whilst promoting poetry at the same time. But it is an undertaking.

Thanks for your thoughts. I suspected there was no interest in it here.
Macavity

Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:17 pm

Macavity

Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:03 pm

Please note Kris' update to this thread:

https://www.proleartthreat.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=26205
ton321
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:53 am

Ok Kris

Thanks for giving it a go anyway. I appreciate the work you've done keeping it going. (Like flogging a dead horse?). Maybe this forum won't survive, but I know the instinct to write poetry will always be there.

By the way you also fucked up this place from the start with your wanky, obtuse forum name.
Blame yourself as well.
Tony
Counting the beats,
Counting the slow heart beats,
The bleeding to death of time in slow heart beats,
Wakeful they lie.

Robert Graves