Mauritius Para's

Where poets, painters, photographers and other artists can mingle.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:28 pm

You may or may not remember this one but It's been completely repainted and revised. Oil on Canvas 40 x 30 cms.
Windermere and Mauritius 05 09 2018 009 (resized 800) POL.jpg
Windermere and Mauritius 05 09 2018 009 (resized 800) POL.jpg (294.86 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
Long time a child and still a child
Macavity

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:17 am

I do remember the pic JJ., can't recall my response, but I feel elements intrude on the space. Perhaps because I want to sit on the beach and enjoy the blue :)

cheers

mac
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:38 am

Thanks, mac, for dropping in to comment. Appreciated, as always.

Here's a link to the original, and as you can see I've upped the ante on the sea colour and scenery significantly, to the point where no section was left untouched. It's even more apparent in real life.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=22725

I've got this thing with birds at the moment, mainly because I've been watching them since childhood, in a passive sort of way.

Best

JJ
Macavity wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:17 am
I do remember the pic JJ., can't recall my response, but I feel elements intrude on the space. Perhaps because I want to sit on the beach and enjoy the blue :)

cheers

mac
churinga
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi JJ

I'm guessing this is from a photo. i prefer your en plein air paintings, I think they have more life in them. I also think it gives the painter more life to get 'out amongst it'. Of course it depends on the weather.

kind regartds

Ross
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:02 am

Thanks, Ross, for looking and commenting. Much appreciated. Your astute observations are spot on. Yes, this was influenced by several photos, and my heart wasn't really there, although I was keen to trap a touch of the exotic. :)

Much of the scene is typical of a brochure, so I added the parrots for good measure. They are Mauritian Parakeets. It was a good exercise in colour.

Best

JJ
lotus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:48 am

reminds me of a morning in the early 1990's on the island of Taha’a

watching fisherman in small boats
bringing in a fresh catch
of parrot fish

silent lotus
“A poem should have the touch ... the way sunlight falls on Braille.” .......silent lotus
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:34 pm

Thank you very much, Lotus. Delighted this painting evoked such a pleasant memory, and especially pleased that you told me.
I quite fancied the idea of revising this piece to see if I could up the ante on the original. It's tricky to escape the holiday brochure look,
so your comments were very encouraging.

Best

JJ
lotus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:19 pm

JJWilliamson wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:34 pm
It's tricky to escape the holiday brochure look,

Best

JJ

dear JJ

yes that is indeed an interesting vantage point challenge
one might consider a Henri Rousseau type approach
to avoid brochure type image

silent lotus
“A poem should have the touch ... the way sunlight falls on Braille.” .......silent lotus
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:37 am

Thanks, Lotus, for getting back to me with your kind suggestion.

I'm familiar with Henri Rousseau and his exotic foliage, and there might well be something there to study.
He certainly adopted a different approach, as did all the post-impressionists, although I tend to wander
between realism and romantic realism, even though you have to be brave to admit it. :)

As with most people, the Impressionists made a lasting impression on me, (pardon the pun) and I was considering
something along those lines for future tropical paintings. All suggestions are welcome, though.

My initial thoughts are to stick with what I know, have experienced, or am experiencing, mainly because it seems to work better, as if
the experience of having been "in the moment" positively influences how art is presented.

Thanks again for your interest and comments. Much appreciated.

Best

JJ
lotus wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:19 pm
dear JJ

yes that is indeed an interesting vantage point challenge
one might consider a Henri Rousseau type approach
to avoid brochure type image

silent lotus