The Road from Kirkstone Pass

Where poets, painters, photographers and other artists can mingle.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:23 pm

This is an impressionistic come realistic oil painting of the valleys and road that descend from the Kirkstone Pass, heading for Ambleside and Windermere. The pass gets its name from a glacial erratic, which sits near the brow, and is not too surprisingly shaped like a church. Please click on the pic for the full image.

JJ
Kirkstone pass 006 (resized 800 pix).jpg
Kirkstone pass 006 (resized 800 pix).jpg (266.11 KiB) Viewed 5769 times
Last edited by JJWilliamson on Sat May 19, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long time a child and still a child
Lake
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue May 01, 2018 4:02 pm

My impression is : massive, vast and boundless. Is that a winding road on the right and a body of water in the middle of far distance?

Enjoyed it.

Lake
Aim, then, to be aimless.
Seek neither publication, nor acclaim:
Submit without submitting.

一 Cameron
David

Tue May 01, 2018 6:21 pm

Looks great, JJ. I've only seen it by road, but even by road it's impressive.

Cheers

David
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed May 02, 2018 7:49 pm

Thanks, Lake

Yes, you're right on both counts; one is the road leading up to the Kirkstone Pass and the other is a glimpse and glimmer of Windermere (lake). Only a fraction of the lake is showing. The Lake District is roughly 2,400 square kms, so it's pretty big. :)

Best

JJ
Lake wrote:My impression is : massive, vast and boundless. Is that a winding road on the right and a body of water in the middle of far distance?

Enjoyed it.

Lake
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed May 02, 2018 7:53 pm

Thanks, David

Yes, it's all pretty impressive country. I remember walking towards the KP one day when a cloud bank began to spill over the pass and down into the valley. It resembled a waterfall and was staggeringly beautiful. Didn't have a camera with me at the time.

Best

JJ
churinga
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Wed May 02, 2018 9:28 pm

Great sky. The muted palette used in the landscape reminded me of Corot. The sunlight on the land is also wonderful.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu May 03, 2018 5:44 pm

Thanks for the generous comments, Ross. Appreciated. Corot will do for me. :)

Best

JJ
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no

Tue May 15, 2018 8:47 pm

JJ. This is stunning.
Whooo! I'm loving the textures, and the colours.
This is a seriously splendid piece.
JJWilliamson wrote: This is an impressionistic come realistic oil painting of the valleys and road that descend from the Kirkstone Pass,
I love this looser style you have adopted JJ.
There's an enthusiastic energy radiating from this canvas.
JJ, you really need to be spreading your talent .
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat May 19, 2018 6:49 am

Wow, Pauline, you could knock me down with a feather. Thank you very much indeed for the more than encouraging comments.
Pauline wrote:JJ. This is stunning.
Whooo! I'm loving the textures, and the colours.
This is a seriously splendid piece. ...Aw shucks! :oops: :lol:
JJWilliamson wrote: This is an impressionistic come realistic oil painting of the valleys and road that descend from the Kirkstone Pass,
Pauline wrote:I love this looser style you have adopted JJ.
There's an enthusiastic energy radiating from this canvas. ...I tell you what, Pauline, that's exactly right. I painted this in a kind of bubble of concentration, focussing entirely on the image, dabbing and stroking colour quickly where I saw it. It helped that I premixed the palette of greens and transparent yellows, then painted what I saw, or thought I saw. The following morning I added a few high and lowlights and it was finished. Very quick for me. Your comment has really given me a lift. :)
JJ, you really need to be spreading your talent. ...Those days are long gone. :)

Whilst I'm here, I found some of those huge canvases you mentioned, the ones from Home Bargains and bought one. It's 90 x 90 cms and my wife went ballistic when she saw the size. It's a real challenge but I'm looking forward to it. I couldn't believe the price, although I had to sift through a few to find an undamaged one. £6.99.
Anyway, thanks very much for the generous review. Appreciated.

Best

JJ
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no

Sun May 20, 2018 8:43 pm

JJWilliamson wrote:Thank you very much indeed for the more than encouraging comments.
You are more than welcome JJ.
JJWilliamson wrote:I painted this in a kind of bubble of concentration, focussing entirely on the image, dabbing and stroking colour quickly where I saw it. It helped that I premixed the palette of greens and transparent yellows, then painted what I saw, or thought I saw. The following morning I added a few high and lowlights and it was finished. Very quick for me.
I can tell this by the loose strokes. Like I said, there's an energy to this piece that ( for me ) makes it stand out from many of your other posts. Now, you know I'm a fan of yours so you will also know I don't mean that in a derogatory way :)
The colours and texture are fab.
JJWilliamson wrote:JJ, you really need to be spreading your talent. ...Those days are long gone.
Whoa!!!!! JJ. It's never too late. What age are you? I'm almost 59 (July. Don't tell anyone :wink: )
I only started painting a few years ago by pure chance. Never painted before in my life.
I'm having the best time. I joined Cleveland Art Society, am friends with some fantastic artists, got myself a studio at a local gallery, and I'm very active in the local Art scene, taking part in many exhibitions.

Also, not sure if you have heard of Grandma Moses. Check her out. She only started painting when she was 78 years of age. Had a fantastic career. One of her paintings sold for over 2 million. Painting kept her alive. Lived until she was 101 years old, so like I say, it's never too late to show the world just what you can do :D
JJWilliamson wrote:I found some of those huge canvases you mentioned, the ones from Home Bargains and bought one. It's 90 x 90 cms and my wife went ballistic when she saw the size.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
JJWilliamson wrote:It's a real challenge but I'm looking forward to it.
It's a great size canvas to work on. Pretty much everything I paint is on a 90x90cm canvas :D
JJWilliamson wrote: I couldn't believe the price,
They are a bargain like :)

Look forward to seeing your next massive painting :D
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat May 26, 2018 9:08 am

Hi Pauline

Sorry about the tardy response but I've been full of busy. I really enjoyed your reply.
Pauline wrote:
JJWilliamson wrote:JJ, you really need to be spreading your talent. ...Those days are long gone.
Whoa!!!!! JJ. It's never too late. What age are you?

I was 60 on May 5th, born in 1958, and celebrated my ridiculous age in South Shields on the day itself. We had a big family and friends party and had a fantastic time, even though the wine etc flowed too liberally. I'm ill at ease with 60, because I was 30 only last year! My head still is. :)

I'm almost 59 (July. Don't tell anyone :wink: ) ...Your secret is safe with me. :)
I only started painting a few years ago by pure chance. Never painted before in my life.
I'm having the best time. I joined Cleveland Art Society, am friends with some fantastic artists, got myself a studio at a local gallery, and I'm very active in the local Art scene, taking part in many exhibitions. ...That is fantastic to read and I'm delighted you told me about your very exciting activities with the Cleveland Art Society. It sounds absolutely great. Well done you!

Also, not sure if you have heard of Grandma Moses. Check her out. She only started painting when she was 78 years of age. Had a fantastic career. One of her paintings sold for over 2 million. Painting kept her alive. Lived until she was 101 years old, so like I say, it's never too late to show the world just what you can do :D

Excellent point, Pauline. It's the difference between desire and intent. It's no good just dreaming, you have to do something about it. Point taken.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
JJWilliamson wrote:It's a real challenge but I'm looking forward to it.
It's a great size canvas to work on. Pretty much everything I paint is on a 90x90cm canvas :D

I have a few ideas/projects in mind so I might have to buy some more. Dangerous territory for me, given Di's propensity for ruthlessness. :)
JJWilliamson wrote: I couldn't believe the price,
They are a bargain like :) ...It's a shame so many were quite badly damaged, but maybe that's why they're such a good buy. I'll keep my eye open for more.

Look forward to seeing your next massive painting :D ...Ha! My latest is 9ins x 8 ins, a small impressionistic piece. I've been revisiting some older paintings and am itching for something new.
I've a couple of poems to finish (been slow in that department) so I'm off.

Thanks again for all the news. Great stuff.

Best

JJ