The Pikes of Langdale (oil on canvas 50 x 40 cms)

Where poets, painters, photographers and other artists can mingle.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:27 am

Here's a rendition of the Langdale Pikes, in the Lake District. It's one of my favourite valleys, and yes,
I have climbed these mountains/fells with my dog, all be it twenty five years ago. Feels like yesterday.
This view is the one most visitors remember, mainly because it shows the Pikes from Lake Windermere,
one of the most popular tourist honey pots of the region. See what you think.
Langdale Glazed and retouched 002 Resized (750 pix) 2.jpg
Langdale Glazed and retouched 002 Resized (750 pix) 2.jpg (245.35 KiB) Viewed 3787 times
Long time a child and still a child
lotus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:57 pm

dear JJ

and interesting hue

the arid mountainous range

separated from fall

by the evergreen

and placing the small sign on the bottom right
as if there is a diagonal from upper left endlessness
increases the western focus of reading from left to right

silent lotus
“A poem should have the touch ... the way sunlight falls on Braille.” .......silent lotus
David

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:34 pm

I like it, JJ. And I've never been up these ones.

Cheers

David
Lake
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:19 pm

It has luxuriant vegetation at the foot of the mountain.
The detail of the small sign adds the finishing touch.

Lotus has a very interesting comment by saying:
"as if there is a diagonal from upper left endlessness
increases the western focus of reading from left to right " :)

Similar to "open the upper left to breathe and sit solid on the lower right", I think. :D

Lake
Aim, then, to be aimless.
Seek neither publication, nor acclaim:
Submit without submitting.

一 Cameron
Macavity

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:30 pm

Enjoyed this too JJ. The shadow cutting up between the mountains. Like the greens too. Chrome?

mac
churinga
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:50 pm

The 'shadows on the hills' really got me, the forground not so much, seemed blurry which may be how the trees looked but it is almost a reversal, the background being sharper than the foreground. Do you ever get blue skies over there? I can understand why so many painters (even Winston Churchill) went to the South of France.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:04 pm

Thank you very much, Lotus, David, Lake, Mac and Ross for the very interesting and assorted replies. Appreciated as always.

A point I hadn't considered, lotus, but I like the way you've viewed this painting, applying your own reality.

They are great fells, David, consisting of Pavey Ark, Pike O' Blisco, Loft Crag and Harrison's Stickle. Harrison's is the flat topped one
and one of the most remembered fells in the district. If you get the chance give them a go because I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
The views are sensational.

I'm glad you noticed the sign, Lake. The lake is festooned with such signs, mainly warning about shallow water or landing permission, or lack of it.
Most people take little or no notice about the landing restrictions. I, of course, do exactly as I'm told. :)

The green, I am pleased or embarrassed to say, is one of my own making, Mac. I had some yellow, crimson, cobalt and Prussian blue, and ivory black
on the palette and I mixed a variety of ad hoc greens by just chucking them together to see what emerged. The results were great but could I mix them again? :)
I'm delighted you enjoyed this one, mac.

Pleased the shadows are working, Ross. I'm using aerial perspective for the background to indicate the distance of the mountains from the lake. They are so big that many of the seemingly small details are, in fact, significant topographical features, giving the impression of fine detail. So I have to dull and lighten the background by reducing the hue intensity to show the distance. Linear perspective is harder to achieve. I think the foreground could stand a nudge here and there, especially with regards to clarity. Good point. The Lake District is renowned for its rain, often making the seasons almost impossible to determine. There's a famous postcard that shows the Lakes in summer on one side and the Lakes in winter on the other. The thing is, they're both the same. Yes, the light attracted many, many painters to the South of France. Vincent Van Gogh moved for the quality of the light but we Brit's are stuck with our gloomy, but dramatic, skies. Blue is a rare colour round these parts. (not really)

Thanks again to all for the generous comments.

Best

JJ
Macavity

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:25 pm

hi JJ

I'm always surprised when you mention 'black' - does raw/burnt 'umber' offer richer tones?

mac
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:38 pm

Yes, I think it does, Mac. The ivory black seems to have a lot of blue in it and I've noticed how it throws a green at the mere mention of yellow.
That was one of the reasons I started fiddling about with the possibilities. Can't argue with the logic of your pov, though. :)

JJ
Macavity wrote:hi JJ

I'm always surprised when you mention 'black' - does raw/burnt 'umber' offer richer tones?

mac