It was almost Marsden.

Where poets, painters, photographers and other artists can mingle.
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:06 pm

It was almost Marsden.jpg
It was almost Marsden.jpg (84.51 KiB) Viewed 2263 times
A 80x30 attempt JJ.
The title reflects the fact it looks nothing like Marsden Rock.
My hole is way too small :lol:
Hey ho. I enjoyed doing it. :wink:
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:47 am

Great painting, Pauline.

Did you know the arch has collapsed now? It went down in 1996 after some terrible storms, leaving an unsafe stack, which was later detonated.
The remaining rock is still impressive and still one of the most important kittiwake colonies in Britain.

Where are you buying your canvases? I'm using pre-stretched at bargain basement prices whilst I learn the ropes. I love this one because it's perfect for a seascape. Your colours are also striking. Every acrylic paint I've used in the past is either too unreliable regarding hue, or tone vulnerable on drying. It's the way colours fade that really gets up my nose, but your colours look brilliant.

The sky is very reminiscent of the Northern Lights and is beautifully reflected in the sea, especially where the water shallows to the rocky sandbar.
The rock, itself, is delightfully abstract and I guarantee it would be well received by the locals. The entire painting has an abstract feel that once more reminds me of modern expressionism. I think you're a modern expressionist, or could be if you wanted to hang a label round your neck. :)

I know I've said it before but your colours are incredibly vibrant. Are you using expensive acrylics? They are SO colour-fast. I'm paying roughly £10 a tube for oils, which I supplement with some cheaper paints for tinting purposes. This and refined linseed oil & white spirit eats into my already tight and scrutinised budget. (She's a hard woman :) )

This is a truly lovely painting.

Best

JJ
Long time a child and still a child
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:40 pm

JJWilliamson wrote: Did you know the arch has collapsed now? It went down in 1996 after some terrible storms, leaving an unsafe stack, which was later detonated.
The remaining rock is still impressive and still one of the most important kittiwake colonies in Britain.
I did JJ. You mentioned this in another post.
I was devastated I never got to see the Rock in all its glory.
I'm ashamed to say I hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it.
JJWilliamson wrote:Where are you buying your canvases?
Well, I used to buy them from The Range. Quite pricey on my budget however still reasonable.
Then I discovered where I was paying £20.00 for a 90x90cm canvas in the range, i could get the same size ( maybe not the same quality)
canvas in Home Bargainns for £7.00. Whoooo! :)
Deep edge JJ. Always deep edge.
The 80x30 are only £3.00 or maybe £4.00.
Massive savings.
Once you've thrown paint on it you can't tell the difference.
JJWilliamson wrote:I love this one because it's perfect for a seascape.
Isn't it just.
JJWilliamson wrote:Your colours are also striking.
JJWilliamson wrote: The sky is very reminiscent of the Northern Lights and is beautifully reflected in the sea, especially where the water shallows to the rocky sandbar.
The rock, itself, is delightfully abstract and I guarantee it would be well received by the locals. The entire painting has an abstract feel that once more reminds me of modern expressionism. I think you're a modern expressionist, or could be if you wanted to hang a label round your neck.
Well thank you kindly for that. :)
I'm thrilled you like it.
I would never label myself. Simply because I paint what I feel in the moment.
JJWilliamson wrote:I'm paying roughly £10 a tube for oils,
Whaaaaaat! I don't use oils. I buy whatever is on offer in Boyes sales or Home bargains or wherever.
Cheap, cheap cheap.
See the pic above.
Poundland had an abundance of Teal they wanted rid of.
I spent £30.00 on a fantastic amount of a great colour I could freely pour over my cheap canvases.
People have often questioned me as to the cost of paint I use .
It matters nothing to me.
I buy cheap and use it freely.
Of course there are paintings where I use more expensive stuff and am less extravagant .
JJWilliamson wrote: The sky is very reminiscent of the Northern Lights and is beautifully reflected in the sea, especially where the water shallows to the rocky sandbar.
The rock, itself, is delightfully abstract and I guarantee it would be well received by the locals. The entire painting has an abstract feel that once more reminds me of modern expressionism. I think you're a modern expressionist, or could be if you wanted to hang a label round your neck.
Well that put the biggest smile to my face.
How lovely is that :D
JJWilliamson wrote: This is a truly lovely painting.
This means more than money JJ :)
I've never painted for cash JJ. Purely pleasure.
Thanks for the great feedback.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:49 pm

Pauline wrote:
JJWilliamson wrote: Did you know the arch has collapsed now? It went down in 1996 after some terrible storms, leaving an unsafe stack, which was later detonated.
I did JJ. You mentioned this in another post. ...I did, didn't I. I'll tell you again next month. :)
I was devastated I never got to see the Rock in all its glory.
I'm ashamed to say I hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it.
JJWilliamson wrote:Where are you buying your canvases?
Well, I used to buy them from The Range. Quite pricey on my budget however still reasonable.
Then I discovered where I was paying £20.00 for a 90x90cm canvas in the range, i could get the same size ( maybe not the same quality)
canvas in Home Bargainns for £7.00. Whoooo! :) ...Now that IS a bargain. Thanks a lot for that.
Deep edge JJ. Always deep edge. ...Is that to prevent warping? Acrylic tends to warp because of the high water content, I think.
The 80x30 are only £3.00 or maybe £4.00.
Massive savings. ...That's good, really good.
Once you've thrown paint on it you can't tell the difference. ...True. I wonder if they'll stand the test of time.
JJWilliamson wrote:I love this one because it's perfect for a seascape.
Isn't it just.
JJWilliamson wrote:Your colours are also striking.
Well thank you kindly for that. :)
I'm thrilled you like it.
I would never label myself. Simply because I paint what I feel in the moment. ...Exactly how I feel. If I'm not steeped in my own feelings I lose interest. Mind you, the results are never as good as my mind imagines. :)
JJWilliamson wrote:I'm paying roughly £10 a tube for oils,
Whaaaaaat! I don't use oils. I buy whatever is on offer in Boyes sales or Home bargains or wherever.
Cheap, cheap cheap. ...I've tried cheap acrylics and never managed to achieve the colour finish you're getting. That's the main reason I switched to oils. My oils are 220 mls.
See the pic above.
Poundland had an abundance of Teal they wanted rid of.
I spent £30.00 on a fantastic amount of a great colour I could freely pour over my cheap canvases.
People have often questioned me as to the cost of paint I use .
It matters nothing to me.
I buy cheap and use it freely.
Of course there are paintings where I use more expensive stuff and am less extravagant .
Well that put the biggest smile to my face.
How lovely is that :D
JJWilliamson wrote: This is a truly lovely painting.
This means more than money JJ :)
I've never painted for cash JJ. Purely pleasure. ...If I ever sell a painting you'll be the first to know. :)
Thanks for the great feedback.
JJ
Long time a child and still a child