Snow over Shirakami-Sanchi beech forest, Japan (revised)

Where poets, painters, photographers and other artists can mingle.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:30 pm

Here's a revised version based on the comments received. Thanks to all. Revision on top.

I used an acrylic underpainting of grey-blue hues and white. This was followed by an oil palette of - Titanium white, crimson (hint as a duller), Prussian blue, mixed black and some iridescent white. Everything is simply a variation of tone and tint.

Japanese Forest iphone 2018 Jan.jpg
Japanese Forest iphone 2018 Jan.jpg (99.32 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
Snow Over Shirakami-Sanchi Beech Forest, Japan.jpg
Snow Over Shirakami-Sanchi Beech Forest, Japan.jpg (299.29 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
Last edited by JJWilliamson on Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Long time a child and still a child
Macavity

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:31 pm

I don't know if it helps any JJ, but the photo offers a depth by implying a path. Perhaps the trunks could have more leafy/snowy dressing?

best

mac
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:40 pm

Thanks, mac

I moved the grove to a less central position, but I think the first shaded line looks like a ditch rather than a shadow. I'll fix that. Thanks.

Yes, the painting is dry now, so I can add some more whiter tones to the twigs. The actual painting has more detail in the foliage,
which is not really showing very well in this photo. Still, some subtle twig work would be in order. Agreed, and many thanks.

Best

JJ
Macavity wrote:I don't know if it helps any JJ, but the photo offers a depth by implying a path. Perhaps the trunks could have more leafy/snowy dressing?

best

mac
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:18 am

Hey JJ.
Great effort. :)
My first concern is your blue is too strong.
The photo offers a more subtle blue/grey.
Your trees are great and I love your snow.
Very realistic. :)
Shadows are spot on.
Moving up to the branches....
Hate saying this but it looks like Edward scissor hand has slashed this with a palate knife loaded with white paint.
It comes across very manic.
Which would look fabulous if that was the look you were going for.
However, I don't think that your intention.
I can offer no advice here as I am currently working on a very similar painting.
I have the trees and ground work and am about to embark on the snowy blustery stuff
and I don't have a clue as to how to do it.
I'm thinking Pollock.
:lol: :wink:
If you could soften the top half.... :)
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Great crit, Pauline. Thanks.
Pauline wrote:Hey JJ.
Great effort. :)
My first concern is your blue is too strong.
The photo offers a more subtle blue/grey.
Your trees are great and I love your snow.
Very realistic. :)
Shadows are spot on.
Moving up to the branches....
Hate saying this but it looks like Edward scissor hand has slashed this with a palate knife loaded with white paint.
It comes across very manic. ...It is as you say. A lot of knife work, although not quite manic. :)
Which would look fabulous if that was the look you were going for.
However, I don't think that your intention. ...Nope, it was not. I originally thought about adding some lighter tones once the paint had dried. IE Lots of tiny highlights to brighten the scene. BUT, I have my light source from the other side, so deciding just how light my highlights should be is tricky. I'm going to work from greyish blue on the outside to very light yellow near the light source, maybe pale blue. Hopefully that should soften it some.
I can offer no advice here as I am currently working on a very similar painting.
I have the trees and ground work and am about to embark on the snowy blustery stuff
and I don't have a clue as to how to do it.
I'm thinking Pollock. ...I thinned the oil paint down to a not quite ink consistency, loaded a small bristle brush then tapped it on the back of another brush over the painting, like a drummer with two sticks. The consistency is everything. I then removed the unwanted tiny spray droplets with a small liner, leaving a selection of droplets behind. The darker droplets had to be placed more carefully so I dabbed them in with spot touches. If you want windswept snow the same technique works well if you tap from an angle at the side, sending the droplets across the face of the painting. Make sure it splats with the wind and not against.

If you could soften the top half.... :) ...I will, I will. Promise!
Very helpful critique. Much appreciated.

Best

JJ
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:53 pm

:) Hi JJ.
JJWilliamson wrote:I think the first shaded line looks like a ditch rather than a shadow.
Yes, it does. Looks like the trees are balancing on the edge of a bottomless chasm :?
Doesn't that just piss you off. :x
You don't see it when you're painting it. It's only when you step away and and look it over with a critical eye you spot it and you think "Shit"!
FFS!
At least we learn from it :wink:
JJWilliamson wrote:I'm going to work from greyish blue on the outside to very light yellow near the light source, maybe pale blue. Hopefully that should soften it some.
Sounds great :)
JJWilliamson wrote:.I thinned the oil paint down to a not quite ink consistency, loaded a small bristle brush then tapped it on the back of another brush over the painting, like a drummer with two sticks. The consistency is everything. I then removed the unwanted tiny spray droplets with a small liner, leaving a selection of droplets behind. The darker droplets had to be placed more carefully so I dabbed them in with spot touches. If you want windswept snow the same technique works well if you tap from an angle at the side, sending the droplets across the face of the painting. Make sure it splats with the wind and not against.
:) Thanks for the tips. I'll try that. :D Thing is, I'm painting in acrylic. Hopefully I should get the same results.
I've never used oils. I have them but I love the fact acrylic dries quickly. Oils take so much longer to dry don't they, and I am rather impatient.
Also,I love texture, and many of my paintings have layers thicker than a wrestlers neck. Will I get the same results with oils ?
JJWilliamson wrote:If you could soften the top half.... ...I will, I will. Promise!
:D
:D So pleased you took my crit in the manner it was delivered.
I welcome constructive criticism. I learn from it. :)
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:20 am

Pauline wrote::) Hi JJ.
JJWilliamson wrote:I think the first shaded line looks like a ditch rather than a shadow.
Yes, it does. Looks like the trees are balancing on the edge of a bottomless chasm :?
Doesn't that just piss you off. :x ...LOL :lol: I wanted a ditch on the right, but not so much on the left. That's where I'll address the land.
You don't see it when you're painting it. It's only when you step away and and look it over with a critical eye you spot it and you think "Shit"! ...Yes!
FFS!
At least we learn from it :wink:
JJWilliamson wrote:I'm going to work from greyish blue on the outside to very light yellow near the light source, maybe pale blue. Hopefully that should soften it some.
Sounds great :)
JJWilliamson wrote:.I thinned the oil paint down to a not quite ink consistency, loaded a small bristle brush then tapped it on the back of another brush over the painting, like a drummer with two sticks. The consistency is everything. I then removed the unwanted tiny spray droplets with a small liner, leaving a selection of droplets behind. The darker droplets had to be placed more carefully so I dabbed them in with spot touches. If you want windswept snow the same technique works well if you tap from an angle at the side, sending the droplets across the face of the painting. Make sure it splats with the wind and not against.
:) Thanks for the tips. I'll try that. :D Thing is, I'm painting in acrylic. Hopefully I should get the same results. ...It works for oil AND acrylic, although you'll have to hurry with acrylic.
I've never used oils. I have them but I love the fact acrylic dries quickly. Oils take so much longer to dry don't they, and I am rather impatient.
Also,I love texture, and many of my paintings have layers thicker than a wrestlers neck. Will I get the same results with oils ? ...Yes, you can although they do take a long time to dry, AND, you need at least student grade oil paints or the results will be too runny and sticky. I know, I've ruined loads of stuff with cheaper paints. Some of the cheap oils work well enough for tinting, especially the reds. I don't go for expensive oil paints, using "Daler and Rowney Georgian" and some "Pebeo". I'm trying Pebeo after having had a chat with the art guys in the art shop. I've only tried the Pebeo titanium white and ivory black so far, so the jury's still out.
JJWilliamson wrote:If you could soften the top half.... ...I will, I will. Promise!
:D So pleased you took my crit in the manner it was delivered.
I welcome constructive criticism. I learn from it. :) ...Yes, I welcome any constructive feedback, good, bad or indifferent. It often confirms what I thought.
Best

JJ
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:54 pm

Revised
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:02 pm

Whoah!!!
:D :D :D
Is this the same painting ???
Toning down the blue, shifting the light source and moving the grove has given this a completely different vibe JJ.
You've changed the trees and softened the whole viewpoint.
I love it.
Great revision JJ.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:41 pm

Thanks, Pauline

I've learnt a lot from this painting and would probably thin the tree trunks considerably if I was to paint an alternative version. The real forest has a slender elegance that helps to define it as Japanese.

I'm really pleased you think the revision is an improvement. Delighted in fact. :)

Happy new year

JJ
Pauline wrote:Whoah!!!
:D :D :D
Is this the same painting ???
Toning down the blue, shifting the light source and moving the grove has given this a completely different vibe JJ.
You've changed the trees and softened the whole viewpoint.
I love it.
Great revision JJ.