Cliffs

Where poets, painters, photographers and other artists can mingle.
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:14 pm

cliffs.jpg
cliffs.jpg (104.12 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:54 am

Wow, Pauline

This is astonishing! The images are as crisp as ****, particularly where the cliffs meet the skyline. I love that sky colour btw,
and the sea looks positively wet. Are those cliffs real!!? See, I'm stumbling over myself.

What method are you using? Is there some kind of digital enhancement taking place? What is your palette? I want that blue!
Where can I buy it, how do I mix it? It looks like phthalo blue, softened with white in places, maybe a touch of red, with the sun directly overhead.
Could be a North East sea, this one, with a convincing mishmash of white dominating the foreground. I love the contrasting blues of the background sea,
with its realistic strokes of white water, even though they're not white. :)

I have a project on my mind for an oil painting of Trow Rock, in South Shields (taken the photos already). There's an interesting rock islet
on the north side, locally known as The Middler (think that's how its spelt) where the waves chop and dance all over it when the tide runs. I want to try and get
a flavour of the delightful turmoil. Your painting reminded me of this scene. I have several photos of waves crashing over the various rocks at Trow Rock
and its now just a case of getting my toes wet.

Is your painting of a real place, somewhere known to you. Looks great.

Really caught my eye, did this, and I'm not just saying it.

Best

JJ
Long time a child and still a child
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:47 pm

Hey, cheers JJ.
Thrilled you like this. I've got the biggest smile on my face. :D
JJWilliamson wrote:The images are as crisp as ****,
Made me laugh out loud.
JJWilliamson wrote:I love that sky colour [/quote
Me too. It's one of my favorite colours. Its Reeves Cerulean Blue.
No mixing required :wink:
JJWilliamson wrote:Is there some kind of digital enhancement taking place?
Nope. That's my picture.
The cliffs are built up of many layers and because they are thick with texture they stand out against the plain unfussy sky.
I was going to put some clouds in there ( I did actually have some but removed them) but I wanted this to simply be about the cliffs.
JJWilliamson wrote:Could be a North East sea, this one, with a convincing mishmash of white dominating the foreground. I love the contrasting blues of the background sea,
with its realistic strokes of white water, even though they're not white.
Yay. It's definitely a North East sea. :wink:
I've made this whole picture up.
My hubby asked me to paint him a picture.
"I want rocks and water." So that's what I did.
It's a 90x90cm simple painting.
Maybe I should have added a little more detail to it.
A speedboat in the background, or someone diving off the cliff.
Hey ho. It is what it is. He liked it.
I have to laugh because he says he loves my skies.
How plain is this sky :lol:
But this painting (for me) needed a plain blue sky to make the cliffs stand out.
I had no reference pictures to work with. It was just in my head, so I'm thrilled that this works.
JJWilliamson wrote: I love the contrasting blues of the background sea,
Another favorite colour of mine (Paynes Grey) gives a wieght to the background sea
and watered down in the foreground (for me) gives a realistic watery feel.
JJWilliamson wrote: I have a project on my mind for an oil painting of Trow Rock, in South Shields (taken the photos already). There's an interesting rock islet
on the north side, locally known as The Middler (think that's how its spelt) where the waves chop and dance all over it when the tide runs. I want to try and get
a flavour of the delightful turmoil

I look forward to seeing this JJ.
I know you will do a great job.
JJWilliamson wrote: its now just a case of getting my toes wet.
Go on. Dive in.
Thanks again JJ for the positive feedback.
Means a lot.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:58 am

Thanks, Pauline, for the great reply.
Pauline wrote:
JJWilliamson wrote:I love that sky colour
Me too. It's one of my favorite colours. Its Reeves Cerulean Blue. ...I have cerulean blue in my art box. It's a bit lighter than your version, so a touch of Phthalo blue might work for me. I notice your sky lightens from right to left and top to bottom, which works a treat. Thanks for that.
JJWilliamson wrote:Is there some kind of digital enhancement taking place?
Nope. That's my picture. ...Even more impressive, then. I wondered if there'd been some kind of digital layering taking place. Not that it would be a problem btw. I've been chatting to some American digital artists for some time now, and they're having a lot of success with their art, especially on the publishing front.
The cliffs are built up of many layers and because they are thick with texture they stand out against the plain unfussy sky. ...The cliffs were one of the clues. You can see this kind of rock formation along the cliffs of Marsden Bay and beyond to the main beach at South Shields. In fact much of the North East coast has this kind of rock and I'm not surprised it caught your attention. They are a conglomerate rock of many layers (SS ones, that is) which entice the young and unwary to climb, often with tragic consequences. They crumble too easily.
I was going to put some clouds in there ( I did actually have some but removed them) but I wanted this to simply be about the cliffs. ...Interesting that you should say that, because I noticed the wisps and thought they were nicely understated, AND this kind of sky is not uncommon in the North East.

I've made this whole picture up. ...That is amazing. No reference material at all? The detail is SO believable, and I have seen a few that didn't work. I have a couple under the stairs. OK loads. :)
My hubby asked me to paint him a picture. ...My wife asks me to stop!!
"I want rocks and water." So that's what I did. ..."I want out", she said. (only kidding)
It's a 90x90cm simple painting. ...That's big. A friend of my wife's, Helen shields, paints big pic's on hardboard and they do look powerful.
Maybe I should have added a little more detail to it.
A speedboat in the background, or someone diving off the cliff. ...Diving into that sea!! You're kidding, right? :)
Hey ho. It is what it is. He liked it. ...Well, there's a lot to like. I know I'm always tempted to add detail at the end, never knowing when to stop, but some expected, realistic detail can work. Even the ever-present seagull or two would be convincing. All but two of my recent research photos captured kittiwakes in flight, without me even looking for them.
I have to laugh because he says he loves my skies. ...He has a good eye. I think this sky is great. They don't all have to be heavy on the drama. Tempting, though.
How plain is this sky :lol:
But this painting (for me) needed a plain blue sky to make the cliffs stand out. ...Yes, it does that, and it allows the cliffs to act as one of the main players. I've just finished a misty sea, sailing ship (tall ship) painting, and was desperate to add some more detail, until my son, Jack, simply said, "Just leave it alone, dad." One of my art friends keeps on saying that we shouldn't have more than three players at the fore, because more would distract the viewer. So I'd be sparing on the final details, if I was you, because I think you've captured the spirit of your husband's commission very well. Of course, I'm still learning and studying, so take my opinions with a pinch. :)
I had no reference pictures to work with. It was just in my head, so I'm thrilled that this works.
JJWilliamson wrote: I love the contrasting blues of the background sea,
Another favorite colour of mine (Paynes Grey) gives a wieght to the background sea ...It's perfect for the North Sea.
and watered down in the foreground (for me) gives a realistic watery feel.
JJWilliamson wrote:
Keep painting

Best

JJ
Long time a child and still a child
Macavity

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:56 am

I enjoyed the work too Pauline. An interesting mix of painterly/photographic visuals. For me, the contrasts were most effective with the sky and rock.

best

mac
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:46 pm

Thanks JJ for the great feedback.
I, like you am learning as I go along.
I have zero knowledge regarding art.
I have never drawn a picture since I was knee high to a grasshopper.
My only experience in painting was covering up dodgy walls in my house.
A few year ago my neighbour out my back gave me a small canvas and a small selection of acrylic paints.
"Paint me a picture" he said.
Whaaaaaat!!!
I had never painted a pictue since I was five years old.
"Are you mental" I asked.
"Just do it." He said.
I painted a moon in a purple sky with purple and blue waves.
I came alive.
OMG.
I have so much to thank this guy for.
He ignighted my passion to paint.
I love it.
I have lots to learn.
I'm excited and isn't that lovely :D
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Hey Mac, I'm thrilled you like my pic and took the time to tell me so.