Andy (pastel and charcoal)

Where poets, painters, photographers and other artists can mingle.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:43 pm

I painted this one in approx' two hours after watching a documentary about Jean Michel Basquiat a couple of nights ago. He paint Warhol in double quick time and only hinted at the identity of his subject. So, I've kept this deliberately loose, using the eye only and have kept it unpolished. See what you think.
Please reduce the image to 50%.
Andy Warhol.jpg
Andy Warhol.jpg (193.01 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
Long time a child and still a child
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:19 pm

I watched the same documentary and found it extremely motivational.
I'd never heard of this guy.
Damn shame his life came to such an abrupt end.

Again, i am impressed by your portrait of Andy Warhol.
The fact you spent just 2 hours on it it even more impressive.
:D
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:35 am

Yes, it was a fascinating documentary, loaded with social commentary and artistic expressionism. He seemed to be bursting with anger.
It was interesting that Warhol attempted to warn him about his drug habit, and sad that it eventually took him.

The "art world" certainly values his contribution but was his "skull" really worth $110, 000,000? Doomed, tragic and dead seems to send the prices through the roof. A heavy price to pay, on more than one level. :) I've read since that some of the art critics were/are sceptical about his talent, one describing him as a "featherweight". Nothing new there, then. :)

His untimely death will almost certainly secure his place in art history.

Delighted you liked this drawing, Pauline, because I'm liking this style more and more. I've tidied the nose and mouth since posting but not by much. Just a tweak.

Good to see you again

Best

JJ
Pauline wrote:I watched the same documentary and found it extremely motivational.
I'd never heard of this guy.
Damn shame his life came to such an abrupt end.

Again, i am impressed by your portrait of Andy Warhol.
The fact you spent just 2 hours on it it even more impressive.
:D
churinga
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:03 pm

I think you have made Andy better looking than he was. I have looked at several of you landscapes, I liked the seascape best because of the way you capture the movement of the waves.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:11 am

Thanks for taking a look at these pictures and commenting, Ross; it really is appreciated.

I've changed this drawing since posting, only slightly, and made him even MORE better looking. I would never describe him as handsome but I wouldn't say he was ugly either. He did have a very interesting face and style, but was a bit self-centred, egotistical. Maybe you need a bit of that to do the things he did. :)

I think I know which seascape you mean. It's one of my favourites too, along with "Striding Over the Edge" and "The Lookout". Thanks for letting me know. Once again it's very much appreciated.

Best

JJ
churinga wrote:I think you have made Andy better looking than he was. I have looked at several of you landscapes, I liked the seascape best because of the way you capture the movement of the waves.