The Black Spot (Y Blotyn Du) - Hedd Wyn

Translated any poems lately? If so, then why not post them here?
Amadeus
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster
antispam: no

Thu May 17, 2007 12:02 am

NID oes gennym hawl ar y sêr,
Na'r lleuad hiraethus chwaith,
Na'r cwmwl o aur a ymylch
Yng nghanol y glesni maith.

Nid oes gennym hawl ar ddim byd
Ond ar yr hen ddaear wyw;
A honno syn anhrefn i gyd
Yng nghanol gogoniant Duw

We have no right to the stars,
Nor the homesick moon,
Nor the golden-edged clouds
In the centre of the long blueness.

We have no right to anything
But the old and withered earth;
That is all in chaos
At the centre of God's glory.
Last edited by Amadeus on Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu May 17, 2007 9:24 am

Thanks for posting this Amadeus - nice one.

My total Welsh vocabulary is as follows:

heddlu (police)
araf (slow)
canolfan (centre, as in health/bike centre)

- so I can't comment on the accuracy of the translation I'm afraid.

This is very "poetic" isn't it? I baulk a bit at the religious content of the last line but hey ho.

I'll try and post the picture of Hedd Wyn's statue (Trawsfynydd) when I get it.

Cheers

C
Last edited by cameron on Fri May 18, 2007 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amadeus
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Thu May 17, 2007 10:35 pm

Thanks Cameron. I love the work of Hedd Wyn, and I am currently in the middle of translating all of his work. At the moment, I am in the middle of translating his epic ode "Yr Arwr".
http://freepages.books.rootsweb.com/~al ... arwr.shtml

I'll post it when I am finished.
Dee

Fri May 18, 2007 8:41 am

The written welsh language always looks poetic and although I don't understand it I get a definite feel of poetry from just trying to read it.

Well done for taking on what seems to me to be an incredibly difficult undertaking.

I study Spanish which is a phonetic language and therefore it is usually possible to have a guess at the translation, but not always easy to define the meaning.

Look forward to seeing some more of your work.

Dee
Amadeus
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Fri May 18, 2007 4:08 pm

Dee wrote:The written welsh language always looks poetic and although I don't understand it I get a definite feel of poetry from just trying to read it.

Well done for taking on what seems to me to be an incredibly difficult undertaking.

I study Spanish which is a phonetic language and therefore it is usually possible to have a guess at the translation, but not always easy to define the meaning.

Look forward to seeing some more of your work.

Dee
Thanks dee. Yes, that is talways the problem with the welsh poetry - it is very hard to put into other languages, as it's form a lot of the time is something called Cynghanedd which is a type of inner-harmony within the lines which only tend to work in Welsh really, given the nature in which the language is spoken. This is the reason that Weslh poetry is not meant to be read, ideally, but heard.
Dee

Thu May 24, 2007 9:30 am

Your description of 'inner harmony' sounds very musical. The Welsh choirs have a unique sound. Is this a similar meaning?

Dee
Minstrel
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon May 28, 2007 9:02 pm

I'll be happy to read your translation of Yr Arwr if you care to post when finished. I have read a translation somewhere but can't remember the source. A worthwhile undertaking.

David.
Amadeus
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:22 am

Dee wrote:Your description of 'inner harmony' sounds very musical. The Welsh choirs have a unique sound. Is this a similar meaning?

Dee
Sorry, I missed this question.

Yes, these two are linked. A lot of Welsh poets write in Cynghanedd, as it is believed to express true skill and mastery of the language. Therefore, in the National Eisteddfod, the greatest poetry prize is reserved for the poet who writes in Cynghanedd. Cynghanedd creates a unique sound, depending on which form one uses. There is:

Cynghanedd groes ("cross-harmony") -
All consonants which appear in the line before the caesura must be repeated after it, in the same order. For example:

clawdd i ddal / cal ddwy ddwylaw
CL Dd Dd L / C L Dd Dd L

Cynghanedd draws (also "cross-harmony")
Like the cynghanedd groes, except not all of the consonants are repeated.

Cynghanedd sain ("sound-harmony")
The line has two caesuras, and thus has three sections. The first and second sections rhyme; the consonants of the second section are repeated in the third section. For example:

pant yw hwy / na llwy / na llaw
/ N Ll / N Ll

Cynghanedd lusg ("drag-harmony")
The first accented syllable in the line rhymes with the second-to-last syllable of the line. For example:

duw er ei radd / a'i addef,,

All these create beautiful sounds, which do not really work when read, but Welsh poetry is designed to be heard, and not read. Therefore, this form works fantastically.

Edit: don't worry, trying to get your head around cynghanedd is like trying to squeeze toothpaste back into the tube. It is a real pain, and is very hard to describe. It is more reliant upon people knowing what it is, really. It's a bit like the Island in Pirates of the caribbean that can only be found by those who know where it is.
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:55 pm

I'm having trouble getting hold of the picture of Hedd Wynn's statue but here is the butcher's shop in Trawsfynydd.

It made us laugh because every time we went past it was "Open" but there was a conspicuous lack of meat for sale!

C
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:41 am

No meat, is it?

Going by the butcher's name - Maybe the dog's run off with it!
Amadeus
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:58 pm

Cameron - I have a photo of his statue which I will pst, alongside a biography if you want

Gareth
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:56 pm

Gareth,

Yes, be good to see a photo. However, might be best to post any biographical info in "Poetry Discussion".

Cheers
Cam
Lake
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:16 pm

I am only able to read the English version and I've enjoyed it very much. It is an easy read, flows well and has a pleasant sound to the ear.
liz armstrong

Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:23 pm

I'm accompanying a group of GCSE history students to France/Belgium next month. As we will be visiting Artillary Wood we hope to attend the graves of Francis Ledwidge and Hedd Wyn. I was wondering if anyone has translated all or part of 'Yr Arwr' - 'The Hero'?
Liz
Amadeus
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:59 pm

liz armstrong wrote:I'm accompanying a group of GCSE history students to France/Belgium next month. As we will be visiting Artillary Wood we hope to attend the graves of Francis Ledwidge and Hedd Wyn. I was wondering if anyone has translated all or part of 'Yr Arwr' - 'The Hero'?
Liz
Liz,

Appologies for not having replied earlier. I am nearly done transating Yr Arwr, and have translated much of is other work. When i finish the translation, I'll post it for you.

Regards

Gareth