The IBPC and Poets' Graves

Please read the rules before you post.
Ros
antispam: no

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:56 pm

It is with regret the Poets’ Graves has decided to withdraw from the IBPC.

I’m afraid the confusion over Ben Johnson’s poem not being a pantoum but this being missed by the judge and Rus Bowden (the administrator of the competition) caused a tirade of emails. The problem was aggravated by a poet (not from this board) attempting to inform the judge that an error had been made. The judge rather objected to this and things escalated. It really was just a mistake, but Rus refused to admit that any error had taken place. None of this was anything to do with PG.

However, it was suggested by Rus that PG might have been part of a conspiracy regarding these emails and that Ben ‘may easily have been trying to set a judge up for a neo-formalist argument.’ Again, this issue escalated and Rus Bowden became increasingly insulting and rude towards all the PG reps and any of the other reps that supported us. He has also attempted to control what comments are made on individual boards, a matter quite outside his remit. On enquiring of the Directors of the IBPC, it is clear that they endorse and condone his tone and attitude. The mods no longer feel that they can work with him or the other Directors and so we will no longer be participating. I can’t imagine any real-life organisation being run in this way and being so insulting to its members. Really, you wouldn't believe it.

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:15 pm

"Directors of the IBPC, it is clear that they endorse and condone his tone and attitude."

"I can’t imagine any real-life organisation being run in this way and being so insulting to its members. Really, you wouldn't believe it."

Unbelievable.

Really too bad as Ben and Clarabow just shined.
That is very disappointing. Sorry this had to happen.

Warmly,
Suzanne
Ros

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:34 pm

Yes, me too. Seems likely that another forum may follow suit.
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:04 pm

Poets, eh? You have to laugh.I'd believe it, though. A person in authority becoming increasingly rude and insulting to the proles, and his peers making it clear that they condone and endorse his attitude. Not that unfamiliar, surely?
I'm out of faith and in my cups
I contemplate such bitter stuff.
Danté
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:30 pm

PG was a damn fine place to work before involvement with the IBPC. It continued to be so while participating, back to business as usual me thinks.

Danté
to anticipate touching what is unseen seems far more interesting than seeing what the hand can not touch
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:32 pm

Ros wrote:it was suggested by Rus that PG might have been part of a conspiracy regarding these emails and that Ben ‘may easily have been trying to set a judge up for a neo-formalist argument.’
I always had the feeling he was a wrong 'un, but this is very funny indeed - you couldn't make it up.

I'd pay good money to see the correspondence. Like five quid. Do you accept paypal Ros?
fine words butter no parsnips
David

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:58 pm

Ros wrote:However, it was suggested by Rus that PG might have been part of a conspiracy regarding these emails and that Ben ‘may easily have been trying to set a judge up for a neo-formalist argument.’
Brilliant. It's a long time since I had a good neo-formalist argument. It's a classic Watergate scenario, though, isn't it? The (attempted) cover-up was worse than the original indiscretion.

Ah well. Tomorrow to fresh woods and pastures new, and all that, what? Tally ho.
bodkin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
Location: Two inches behind my eyes just above the bridge of my nose.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:30 pm

So did anybody ever discover what neo-formalism was?

It must be bloody powerful stuff if it can disguise non-rhyming, non-repeating couplets as a pantoum.

Possibly it only becomes a real problem if it has been cut with Novocaine?

While I applaud the idea of the IBPC, they've always seemed a little weird somehow, and I know they've fallen out with other boards in the past...

I don't think I'll miss them, and I also think I won't be letting my poems get subbed to them from any other board.

Ian
http://www.ianbadcoe.uk/
Sharra
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:29 am

I'd also like everyone to know how fantastic Ros has been at dealing with all this. A big public thank you to her handling it all in a manner that does PG proud. And Brian was like a terrier, refusing to let Rus get away with his behaviour - something Rus is obviously not used to happening. :)

And people's responses on here are a good reminder that PG is the kind of board that doesn't need any artificial input to make it great.
Nicky
x
It is at the edge of the
petal that love waits
Marc
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:16 am

Wow, it's amazing how these kind of things can blow up.
Combination of egos and the power of email/text where we have all no doubt experienced the ease with which it's possible to be far ruder and more insulting than you would be if you were talking face to face. Dangerous and stupid.
I too would love to read their messages and have a good laugh.
Of course the IBPC is possibly the most important thing in the world.....

Oh well, won't make any difference to me as I doubt I'd ever have been a contender for a prize, mainly because I don't know what a neo-formalism argument is.

Marc
twoleftfeet
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
Location: Standing by a short pier, looking for a long run-up

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:30 am

This is too much!

Tell me where Rus/Russ(?) lives and I'll go round and scratch his eyes out!
Instead of just sitting on the fence - why not stand in the middle of the road?
Ros

Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:04 am

I'm heartened by all your responses. Marc has it right, things did get ruder and more stupid than would have been possible face to face. But with the IBPC unwilling to even meet us part way, admit they may have been even slightly wrong in this situation, we didn't have much of a choice. At least we left at the top! I believe various boards have fallen out with them over the years - in fact it transpires that's how we got in in the first place. If they carry on this way the standard of competitors will drop, anyway.

Ros
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:39 pm

I'd like to endorse Nicky's comments: both she and Ros were magnificent. PG should be very proud.

B.
Marc
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:19 pm

Wasn't it Rus who was trying to drum up poetry for a wrestling related theme/contest/celebration? Perhaps there is something here we could work on:

Poet wrestling! (with or without mud)

After a brief declamation of their finest piece we should see all in wrestling... Perhaps each board needs to nominate a gladiator, possibly not the best poet but the biggest.... (probably rules Ros out as I imagine her to be petit and slightly learned/wise looking). Brian, Geoff or Dante perhaps?

Marc
twoleftfeet
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
Location: Standing by a short pier, looking for a long run-up

Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:45 pm

Marc wrote:Wasn't it Rus who was trying to drum up poetry for a wrestling related theme/contest/celebration? Perhaps there is something here we could work on:

Poet wrestling! (with or without mud)

After a brief declamation of their finest piece we should see all in wrestling... Perhaps each board needs to nominate a gladiator, possibly not the best poet but the biggest.... (probably rules Ros out as I imagine her to be petit and slightly learned/wise looking). Brian, Geoff or Dante perhaps?

Marc
Don't look at me, I'm 10 stone dripping wet! :lol:
Luckily I have friends at sumo-poets.com.
If Rus (are you guys sure it's only one "s"?) gives us any trouble - I'll send the boys round.
Come over here if you're bard enough!
Instead of just sitting on the fence - why not stand in the middle of the road?
Ros

Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Quite right. I am not-terribly-tall but immensely wise-looking. I love the idea. Us girls will stand at the sides with the buckets and stuff. We might even be able to raise a few cheerleaders - we could chant well-known sonnets to keep your spirits up!

Ros
Preternatural Poster

Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:09 pm

ooh can we have pompoms?
Come over here if you're bard enough!
:lol: :lol:
It is at the edge of the
petal that love waits
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:16 pm

I'd like to nominate Dogofdiogenes and oranggunung as our poet/wrestler tag team. Whilst we're here I think we should start voting on stuff again. Best Poem of the Month would be a good start, Worst Poem of the Month would be better still. Or best anagram of a poet's name. Or worst. Anything would do me, I just wanna vote all of a sudden.
Ros

Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:17 pm

We're on the veritable cusp of starting another comp, Ray, so you'll be able to vote to your heart's content.
Preternatural Poster

Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:56 am

Don't any of you people ever fight?

I'm surprised by how often the Internet is mentioned as the ultimate gonads magnifier because of its relative anonymity and therefore, it's lack of real world consequences and/or boundaries.

If you really think that Internet fights completely surpass "standard" human quarreling then you either need to get out more or grow a pair, IMO.
There's only one rule in street and bar fights: maximum violence, instantly. (Martin Amis, "Money")
brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:58 am

Select Samaritan wrote:Don't any of you people ever fight?

I'm surprised by how often the Internet is mentioned as the ultimate gonads magnifier because of its relative anonymity and therefore, it's lack of real world consequences and/or boundaries.

If you really think that Internet fights completely surpass "standard" human quarreling then you either need to get out more or grow a pair, IMO.

I agree. I'm just as much of a bastard in the flesh as I am online.
Sharra
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:26 am

lol I believe that Brian ;)
I think the thing is that it takes a certain amount of guts to say things face to face, any annoying little twonk can be insulting online.
It is at the edge of the
petal that love waits
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:06 am

Ooooh! The rednecks are adjusting their ties.Goodness knows what The Select One is talking about, probably mirror-fights before bedtime, but Brian, Brian, if you were to spout your "this poem is absolutus crappus shittus" in the street or at a gig to my face, I would've knocked seven sorts of shit out of you. And I believe it would have done you good, they used to call it Thump Therapy in the old institutions, you can be too jaunty, 'specially on a hired horse.

Love and Peace, Brothers
brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:08 am

ray miller wrote:Ooooh! The rednecks are adjusting their ties.Goodness knows what The Select One is talking about, probably mirror-fights before bedtime, but Brian, Brian, if you were to spout your "this poem is absolutus crappus shittus" in the street or at a gig to my face, I would've knocked seven sorts of shit out of you. And I believe it would have done you good, they used to call it Thump Therapy in the old institutions, you can be too jaunty, 'specially on a hired horse.

Love and Peace, Brothers
Yes, exactly what Nicky means.
PM me your address if you dare.

B.
Ros

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:10 am

Round the back of the pub, please, lads, if you're going to fight. I don't want any more blood on the floor. The cleaners are complaining.

Ros