Handy Hints

Check out the PG iPod: hear PG poets reading their poems.
Nicola
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:30 pm

If you have had a Featured poem or a poem (in the experienced section) which has been well received we would love to have a recording of it to upload to our audio section.

We need a good quality recording in either wav. or mp3 format. The finished file should be around 2MB depending on the length of the poem. I can adjust them to a small degree but it's best if the recording is done well in the first place.

There are a variety of free recording softwares available on the web. We used a 'SwiffRec voice to flash' programme and a cheap microphone.

The following are tips from kozmikdave:-

"There are some very low tech things you could be doing. To get rid of popping sounds from b-words & p-words etc., get some nylons/pantyhose, and after you have tried them on and paraded in front of the mirror a few times, take them off your head, stretch them over wire coat hanger (eqivalent) and fix them between your mouth and the microphone. Or you could pay good money for a commercially produced pop-guard (but that would be stupid, wouldn't it?)

Talking into a microphone scares some people. Get pretty close to it and imagine that you are talking to someone on the other side of the room. Time to get that imaginary friend out of the closet and be bold. People who sing to themselves always think they sound loud as it echoes around their sinuses. Don't be scared to look and feel stupid. You will notice the difference.

When recording, most programmes/recorders have a red zone which flashes up when the incoming sound is too loud. If you record in this area, it will distort on playback. So practice reading as loud as you can and keep nudging the recording volume down until you are just below this level. Of course your neighbours and family will think you are mad, repeating the same thing over and over. Hell, a couple of drinks and I do that in autopilot. And anyway, they knew you were mad in the first place".

If you are unsure of anything please contact me via pm.

Cheers
Nicola