Asymptote

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:30 am

Asymptote

You cannot go back to Ohio. You can maybe
reach Indiana; settle down. A child
can jump in leaves there, where the mottled trunks
of sycamore and maple come to mark
a sort of glory, like the pregnant air.

You cannot ride in the Lincoln Continental
down Lee Road. You can’t spring from the garage
through open air to catch that branch and arc
down gently to the back yard. You cannot
watch Saturday’s cartoons, for all your pleading.

On Lee Road, where the storefronts face the shark-
finned traffic, you cannot leap off the roof
across the alley on a day when time
winds to a stop. That Lincoln Continental
can’t freight you back down Lee Road to your home.
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:11 pm

Greetings, John!

Now, 'Asymptote'. Members of the Coo-mmunity were not familiar with this word, so off we went to Prof. Wiki, who advised as follows:

"In analytic geometry, an asymptote of a curve is a line such that the distance between the curve and the line approaches zero as one or both of the x or y coordinates tends to infinity. In projective geometry and related contexts, an asymptote of a curve is a line which is tangent to the curve at a point at infinity."

Members of the Coo-mmunity look confused together. But we note that a lot of the poem is about not being able to do things, so maybe it's relevant to that. We discerned something of a compromise in S1, which set us to expect a similar approach through subsequent stanzas, but this did not occur. So perhaps the overall focus is the not-doing. Sometimes the tone seems that of a parent or guardian advising a child. We like the description through the poem, particularly the trees in S1. We shall re-read and return (^v^)

Cheerie,
F & (^v^)

PS: Sorry if there's not much sense in this; Arthur Ritis is flaring at the moment, so I'm even blurrier than usual (*&*) (Coo too)
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:43 pm

Greetings, Fliss and Coo!

An asymptote curve approaches a point but never reaches it. Just as I can never return to the Lee Road of my childhood, even were I to walk down that street. I hope that helps!

Cheers,
John
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:51 pm

Greetings, John!

Ooh, thank-coos for the explanation. Yes, it helps a lot. Now we understand the poem much better, while continuing to appreciate its structure and imagery (^v^)

Cheerie,
F & (^v^)
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:41 pm

:)

Cheers,
John