Ode to Bottom

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:30 pm

O Bottom! Bottom! What a name!
Not quite a hero, not quite a dame,
You dreamed of acting to Greek applause
yet you bowed out to their guffaws.

A donkey head, oh what a fright!
Queen Titania saw no wrong nor right,
she wanted to be your demoiselle
under King Oberon’s impish spell.

But Puck had another plan in store
and you woke up to dream no more.
Your days of consort faded fast
from fairy plaything to outcast.

You made us smile in woods enchanted
by magic scenes that Shakespeare planted.
Last edited by Morpheus on Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:58 pm

Greetings, Morph,

I think you've shown me this one, via Twitter? Sorry I didn't get back to you; I think I mentioned something about not being especially familiar with the play, and not knowing wherever it is you plan to submit this, apols (*v*)

It's tet, yes? Coo hands you a capital 'P' for Puck. We might also suggest 'yet' in place of 'but' at S1 L4 and perhaps a rethink of the 'long'/'along' rhyme. Small things for now, as I need to get back to work shortly. Hopefully others will assist you (^v^)
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:11 pm

Thanks Fliss, I'll try and make those fixes and rethink long/along. I'm seeing my tooth fairy poem for Lucy as the better of my two fairy efforts although I am intrigued to see whether I can find interest in an AI assisted effort too.
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:03 pm

You're welcome, Morph. I think I'd caution against using AI for creative writing, though. I've never used it and I don't intend to because I love the very human buzziness I get from using my own brain. I'm just thinking about your reputation as a poet, I suppose. Better to post whatever you, Morph, come up with, and we'll do our best to assist, humanly and birdly (^v^)
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:09 pm

Thanks Fliss, good point, I should think more about my reputation. There's a fine line between disruptive innovation and scoring an own goal.
NotQuiteSure
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:51 pm

Hi Morph.
Don't think this one's working. The meter's ... irregular, and it seems to end at line four (anybody who knows the play won't find much of interest in the rest, those that don't know the play won't, I don't think, be better informed. Also, not seeing Bottom as a pantomime dame.)

I return your own suggestion to you. Turn S1 into a limerick and be done with it.

Regards, Not

Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:45 pm

Not, you'd be surprised how much effort and tinkering is involved in trying to make these AI template poems remotely readable. It's not really been worth it so far and then there's ethical questions to contend with on completion.

I didn't change the first two lines so it's interesting that you like the first stanza best. I've never read a Midsummer Night's Dream but AI can make it look like I have... ish. It's like being a naughty cheating student isn't it?

Perhaps we'll see an AI only poetry journal at some point but I think the idea of sending this anywhere is a bit silly for now.

Oh and Max Guttmann has a complete collection of Shakespeare in limerick form. I shall not tread on his toes.
NotQuiteSure
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:08 pm

Morpheus wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:45 pm
these AI template poems remotely readable. It's not really been worth it so far and then there's ethical questions to contend with on completion.
Something you might have mentioned upfront. I'd not have bothered had I known.
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:48 pm

Thanks Not for allaying my concerns that AI can write better poetry than me. It's not a complete waste of your time I hope.
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:11 pm

I like it, especially the first stanza. I think line 6 and the final 2 lines are weak.
I'm out of faith and in my cups
I contemplate such bitter stuff.