The King with the Stone in His Heart

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:42 am

The King with the Stone in His Heart

Then a stone fell from the king’s heart,
and the salmon leapt upriver to spawn and die.
The shoots pushed through the dark soil and found daylight
all across the Northern Hemisphere,
as if there were no police force and no border agents.
In every town and village, people spoke the same language.
It was Easter, and the revolving Earth
had come to spring again and younger days.
As the king wept, he left his golden throne
and embraced his daughter. The wandering planets
moved slowly through the sky of early morning.
His eyes were opened, and his heart was full.
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:45 pm

I like it John and I wondered if it relates to a Bible story or fairy tale but a quick internet search didn't help. Although I do note that Ezekiel crops up in Das kalte Herz, which sort of links the two nicely but I could be reading too much into it.

And, of course, Easter is symbolic of New Testament and a fresh start after the burden. The boundless salmon and roots are very striking too. I think it's quite enlightening as a journey through human condition, John. Nice work.
Last edited by Morpheus on Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:14 pm

Very interesting poem, John. I really like it. It has an epochal quality which grabs the reader's attention.

My only thought is that the phrase "and younger days" just seems to hang there. I'm not sure what it means.

Otherwise, very good.
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:01 pm

Hi Morph, hi Caleb,

Morph, I seem to remember reading the opening line in a fairy tale somewhere. Das kalte Herz is an interesting tale, but not the one I’m thinking of. 😊
Easter is a fresh start, both to the liturgical and the seasonal calendar: longer days, spring and all that. The salmon, I’d always understood, leap upriver to spawn and then die, though a Spokane Indian I know, who should know, told me this is not the case. I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Caleb, I’m glad this spoke to you. For younger, I could say longer: it’s the idea of spring rebirth, Fruehlings Erwachen. I’m not sure that will come through for all though!

Cheers,
John