Even Better than the Real Thing

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:32 am

Even Better than the Real Thing

This is the high and noble tone. It’s not
in fashion now, but fashion comes and goes
as sure as last year’s dresses. I who once
was featured in a fashion show, I have
no beef with the demotic. There are those
who favor Pepsi over Coke, but I
like Coke, it’s what I want. I do not think
to swim downriver with the crowd. A man
will sometimes make a choice and when the dust
clears, all this may look different – we’ll all
speak for ourselves and no-one else when we
collect for judgment. You can call me daft,
but I choose Coke, it’s what I plan to drink.

Macavity

Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:11 am

'A gender will sometimes make a choice'.

Just a thought John, has some resonance these days. The 'a man will...' makes me think of the John Wayne era. Or will this skew the poem to the latest divisive 'topic'? Of course, 'a man' could be your humour at play 🤔
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:54 am

Hi Phil,

Well yes, I am a bit dry! I'd missed the John wayne overtones to that choice, but you are quite right, they are inescapable. Your "a gender" has a good deal of appeal, so i shall give it some thought!

It's a bit of a throwaway poem really, but It speaks to my feelings about the call for the demotic in poetry today. I grow weary of that slightly worn fashion statement, a language is bigger than that, as the OED attests. Why limit ourselves for no good reason?

Cheers,
John
Firebird

Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:22 pm

Hi John,

When I read this I thought it was a parody, but then I read your comments to Phil and found out it was your reaction to the popularity demotic language in poetry. I fully agree with your viewpoint, but I’m not sure this is the best way of expressing it.

Of course, you are right, the register we choose to use is so often influenced by what is fashionable. Maybe write a poem about language in two verses - one being written in colloquial language and the other in a much higher register with less used words. Only a thought. Maybe make the topic about Coke. I thought that strand of the poem worked really well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tristan
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:32 pm

Hi Tristan,

I'd forgotten about this poem! Thank you for reminding me. The poem itself is a bit of a throwaway effort, but the sentiments that produced it are very real for me. Fashion is a funny thing, in language as in clothing. Bell-bottoms are IN! Bell-bottoms are OUT! Who can keep up? But it does successfully make the world smaller, as many people I think prefer it. Anyhow, you have a lot of good points and i shall have to give them some thought. Maybe I should make more of this, since it matters to me.

Cheers,
John