What do I say to really bad poets?

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri May 05, 2023 8:18 am

I am the editor of an online anthology. The home page says I'm not developing it at this time, but I still get submissions.

I have someone now sending me really, really bad poetry. Poor grammar, poor punctuation, simplistic sentiments. In our exchange, he has already admitted that English is a second language for him. I am being pretty blunt that his poetry isn't good, and that he needs to learn English better. But that seems cruel.

What I don't understand is, if English is a second language for him, so much so that he can't even punctuate properly, why is such a person trying to get published? I mean, doesn't he have ANY objectivity on his work. I guess the answer to that is "no". Also, why isn't he writing in his native language?

Should I be blunt with such people, or should I just encourage them to keep writing?
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.
Macavity

Fri May 05, 2023 6:05 pm

He obviously has a drive to write Caleb. Perhaps encourage him to read more poetry. I'm sure you can recommend particular poets/poems.

Hope that helps

Phil
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri May 05, 2023 7:53 pm

Hi Caleb,

I'm surprised you're still getting submissions, if the home page says you're not developing the anthology at this time. I'd just ignore anything that came in, I think, or set an out-of-office. But as you've already engaged with this person, maybe a polite reminder is called for now. In general terms, I'd prefer to encourage people who want to keep at it to join a workshop group or even take a course if they have the funds :)

Bw,
Fliss
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat May 06, 2023 5:48 am

I didn't handle it well. His poetry was so poor I gave him a list of things to do, which included learning the English language better, reading more English poetry, living longer to gain more life experience, and trying to cultivate wisdom in himself. I guess I wasn't kind because he was very aggressive.
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat May 06, 2023 6:53 am

I'm sorry he was very aggressive, Caleb; perhaps he's feeling frustrated because he hasn't had many, or any, acceptances in poetry journals and so on. It was kind of you to help and I think that's the best you could have done in the circs. When I read that a poetry place isn't accepting submissions, I just don't submit; that's common courtesy, I think :)

Bw,
Fliss
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat May 06, 2023 7:36 am

Yes, maybe he'll process your crits over time, Caleb, and get better at poetry, a thing he seems to value. So that's a nice thought.
I agree with Fliss, he should also learn to tell when journals are not accepting and not submit at those times.

Cheers,
John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat May 06, 2023 8:03 pm

CalebPerry wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 5:48 am
His poetry was so poor I gave him a list of things to do, which included learning the English language better, reading more English poetry, living longer to gain more life experience, and trying to cultivate wisdom in himself.
Lol, this sounds like one of my submissions. Sorry Caleb, I was too busy being stuck on transmit to read that you are not actually in press at the moment.
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun May 07, 2023 10:34 pm

Reading that fellow's poetry made me realize a lot of people never develop a sophisticated sensibility about poetry. They read and love the simpler stuff all their lives. Not everyone is at the level which most of the poets here are at. People have their limitations, and I need to accept that.
Signature info: