Toppings in Bath

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:28 pm

Toppings in Bath

I thought I'd mention that I've been away gallivanting in Bath, Somerset. It wasn't just a trip for sight-seeing – though I certainly had a good look round and also found an extraordinary lemon drizzle cake in Parade Gardens (!) – I had been kindly invited to read alongside a few poets at Toppings Bookshop. These were the American poets Carrie Etter, Elena Karina Byrne and Lois Jones.

https://www.toppingbooks.co.uk/events/b ... ia-brooks/

The day of the event had become a bank holiday for the Queen's funeral so the bells played throughout the day from every church while a quietude descended on the golden sandstone of the city and the Avon trundled beneath the moored barges and sunlight. The day made for a calm and thoughtful evening as we took our turns to read. I can't think of anywhere better than to be surrounded by books: the new location for Toppings bookshop is stunning and I certainly recommend visiting it if anyone is ever in the area. It's huge, with a high mezzanine running the circumference, again packed with books.

All of the readings were inspiring and the audience, which was seated around small tables dotted throughout one area of the bookshop, was so attentive. It seemed to me that you could hear a pin drop and somehow the area and shelves of books acted a bit like an amplifier. This was useful because I had the quietest voice out of all of us and didn't have a microphone! Another useful circumstance was that a lady wandered about with unending bottles of Malbec. I think this might be why I remember very little of my own reading... the lady was eager. You'd only take a sip and she'd swoop in and top up your glass (maybe this is why it's called Toppings). It's a curious thing, but there always seems to be free wine at poetry events.

Anyway, just wanted to say something about my poetry travels. I'll put some photos in the thread as soon as I've had a good look through them. But first of all, seeing as I'm back to work tomorrow, I'm going to do some serious snoring. I've been sleepless in Bath for several days and just now all I have is a blur of restaurants, cafes, sandstone and pillars, river walks, poems, cream teas, fudge, plus the strange and fascinating conversations of writer folk and taxi drivers combined, even the occasional pigeon.

Lia
Macavity

Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:56 am

🍷Well done Lia. Never done a reading myself!
NotQuiteSure
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:59 am

Well done Lia.
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:47 am

Congrats, Lia. Bath is a lovely place. We used to live down that way. I know Lois Jones from somewhere. Did she once post here and maybe Wild Poetry under the pseudonym emuse?
I'm out of faith and in my cups
I contemplate such bitter stuff.
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:52 pm

Thanks Phil. That surprises me. It was my first time. I've read a poem at a few different events, but never a set of poems.

Many thanks, Not.

Thank you, Ray. How lovely that you lived in that area for a while. It's interesting and stacked with history, including the surrounding hills. Yes, she's the person you're thinking of. I made friends with Lois (I know her as E) on Wild Poetry Forum in 2003/4. She was known as Emusing on there. Then I came to Poets' Graves and she joined maybe a year later as Emuse. I don't know how long she was here... a few years maybe? But I've been on many trips with her over the years.

Lia
capricorn
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:16 pm

Well done, Lia. This was an interesting read - how lovely! I hope you post some photos.

I knew Lois (emusing) from Penshells Poetry where she was administrator. Good days! Then someone else took charge for a while, then disappeared without trace. Penshells has never recovered :(

Eira
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:23 pm

Thank you, Eira. I'd forgotten about the photos! I'll see what I can find.

What a small world it is! After I left WPF (2006, I think), I went to Penshells for a few weeks or so, though Lois wasn't administrator at that point, and then I discovered Graves. Several of the forums went through a rough time of it. A good few never recovered sadly. Do you still visit Penshells?

Lia
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:14 pm

Hi Lia,

I really enjoyed reading this and I'm glad you had such a pleasant time. Please consider writing a poem about the strange and fascinating conversation of the occasional pigeon :lol:

Well, it's possible I misread that last bit; I'm a bit of a birdbrain at times (*v*)

Best wishes,
Fliss
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:21 am

haha no, you didn't misread that, Fliss.

I was sitting in the garden at the rental place and a pigeon suddenly dropped down on the table right in front of me. It looked up, titled its head and said, 'You ain't no spring pigeon, are ya.' At least, that's what I think it said. Either that or, 'Gimme some food or else!'

And then, on another day whilst having a cream tea,

The Birds...

I actually started to write a poem on the train ride home, but it was about being a pigeon rather than talking to one.

Glad you enjoyed the post.

Lia
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:15 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A poem about being a pigeon sounds great, Lia! (^v^)

Bw,
Fliss
capricorn
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:55 pm

What a fantastic video, Lia. You were clever to catch the situation. Another poem?

Yes, what a small world - I don't post at Penshells now, only 2 people go there, post all their poems, but never reply. I think they are just using it as a storage place (sad :( ) Lots of places did become inactive/close down. I can think of at least 6 sites that I used to visit.

Looking forward to a pigeon poem :lol:

Eira
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:24 pm

That's very sad about Penshells, Eira. I didn't know. How strange it is that people are posting their poems and never responding. I think you're right that they're using it as a storage place.

I'm glad you like the video. I forgot that I'd recorded the moment so it was nice to stumble across it on my phone. The pigeon poem needs some work but I might share it at some point. It centres around the paper from someone's discarded fish 'n' chips!

Lia
capricorn
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:35 pm

Lia wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:24 pm
That's very sad about Penshells, Eira. I didn't know. How strange it is that people are posting their poems and never responding. I think you're right that they're using it as a storage place.

I posted a poem at PS a few years ago, as I'd heard they were trying to make a go of it again, but no one commented :( yet they replied to my comment on their poem. Same happened to my friend. There are 2 there who post their poems a few times a week. It is sad as it used to be a good place.
I do visit sometimes if I want to revisit a poem written there and remember comments. Went there last week to see 'Salad Days'

I'm glad you like the video. I forgot that I'd recorded the moment so it was nice to stumble across it on my phone. The pigeon poem needs some work but I might share it at some point. It centres around the paper from someone's discarded fish 'n' chips!

I love poems/pictures about birds I find their behaviour fascinating

Lia