What qualifications...

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun May 01, 2022 1:03 pm

... do you need to be an editor of a poetry journal?

I'm asking for a friend. He's had a lot of poems published in online journals; he's had one poetry book published; his second poetry book is forthcoming. He's very pleasant, if that helps, and he'd be supported by me, in an admin role. Cue good use of gmail's auto-response setting :lol:

Sorry if I've posted in the wrong area; happy to shift if need be :)

Best wishes,
Fliss
Macavity

Sun May 01, 2022 1:34 pm

My advice:

Don't get buried in the submission process...this is the best approach:

https://autumnskypoetrydaily.com/submission-guidelines/

No hassle for either side, editor/poet, and the mag gets read! The contributors don't have to wait months for rejection!

Publicity...I find some pubs on here...

https://www.nawe.co.uk/the-writers-comp ... sions.html

Word soon gets around Facebook/twitter

I've noticed some mags cultivate their regulars to guarantee a standard of submission. Or attach themselves to a forum like the sphere.

Hope that helps some

MacPhil
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun May 01, 2022 2:29 pm

That helps plenty, MacPhil!

Quite a streamlined approach from Autumn Sky there, which is good. I think I'd still be inclined to set up an auto-response, just to acknowledge receipt. It would be very courteous :D

At the moment, we have in mind a quarterly publication, but we were discussing monthly at some stage. The latter option would work better with the AS approach, perhaps. Hmm...

Thanks for the link to NAWE; that's great! I'm fairly proficient with Facebook and Twitter, I suppose. Yes, I've noticed some cultivation of regulars too. I've been thinking it might be better to make sure submissions are anonymous, so they'd come to me and I'd just forward the poems, without poets' names, to the ed. I wouldn't want to attach to the 'sphere in general, but I could post a link there and here and elsewhere, once we know what we're doing. We're also in favour of guest editors, just to keep things fresh, I suppose :)

Thanks again!
F.
Macavity

Sun May 01, 2022 2:45 pm

Good ideas Fliss...the auto-response, anonymity and guest editors! Theme editions can be popular.
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun May 01, 2022 3:08 pm

Hooray! Thanks, MacPhil :D

Themes are fun too. I think I submitted to Snakeskin for the first time when it was a short poems issue.

The overall theme of this magazine will be music, but there's scope within that for particular prompts, pocket poems, etc. We'll be open to all styles :)

🎹 <-- mini-keyboard
Macavity

Sun May 01, 2022 3:33 pm

pocket poems

🍾👍
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun May 01, 2022 3:51 pm

Yay!

Perhaps that could be the first issue. I tend to think of a pocket poem as 16 lines or fewer, but it could be smaller still.

Thanks for your responses, MacPhil; much appreciated! Off to make tea now ☕️ and maybe have a biscuit too 🍪 :D
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sun May 08, 2022 2:26 pm

There's no rule that an editor of a poetry journal needs qualifications, Fliss. But it does help if the editor has a good bio.

Lia
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun May 08, 2022 7:33 pm

🙂👍