Timothy Murphy's last book

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:59 pm

Timothy Murphy's Last Poems has been out for a little while. The book mainly contains poems written during his final battle against cancer. He apparently wrote right up to the end. Apparently, he wrote so much during his life that he is now one of the English language's most prolific poets. And it was all written in meter and rhyme with a crystal clear voice.

Last year I also got W.H. Auden's collected works (he was also prolific). Both of these poets were so great that I sometimes find myself wondering why I am even writing, since nothing that I've written comes close to their best works. So my self-esteem has suffered a serious blow in the last year, but at least I have more poems to love and appreciate.

I was thinking that I might post a half-dozen or so of Murphy's poems here. That would be a violation of copyright, but I think Murphy would want his poetry to be widely read. It also might help to sell more of his books. Is it okay with the moderators if I go ahead and do that?
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.
Macavity

Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:57 am

Yes, I think it would be a violation of copyright Caleb.

best

Phil
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:32 am

So, you don't think I should post a few poems here? I'm sure Murphy would have wanted his poems to be read. Publishers tend to overlook it when small amounts of their books are posted on the internet because that stimulates sales.
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
Macavity

Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:44 am

As you said Caleb, unfortunately it breaks copyright.

Best

Phil
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:06 am

I assume it will be all right if I get permission. I exchanged notes with the publisher recently, so they know me.
Signature info:
Macavity

Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:46 pm

Hi Caleb,
I think it is fine to post with the copywriter's permission.

Best

Phil
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:45 am

Suzzanne Kelley, Editor in Chief of North Dakota State University Press, the publisher of Tim's book Last Poems, has given me permission to post five poems from the book in this thread. I'll try to select five good ones. I'm busy for the next four days, so I'll start after that.

Caleb
Signature info: