EveryPoet.org?

"There's more to life than books you know, but not much more."
LadyforCamus

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:02 pm

Hey, everyone!

I’m new here, and so excited to have found this forum! I used to write poetry often in my early twenties, and I took several workshop courses in college, but it’s been twelve years since I did any writing/critiquing. I was wondering if any of you have any experience over at the Poetry-Free-For-All (everypoet.org)? It seems like also a nice workshop forum but it’s totally dead over there! They have like, one new post per week on average, it seems like. Is that normal for a poetry forum? I was just curious if anyone here has had any experience there.

Anyway, glad to be here! Cheers!

Michelle.
Ros
antispam: no

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:12 am

Hi Michelle,

It used to have a reputation for shredding anyone they didn't approve of. I'm rather pleased if it's dying! Forums tend to have ups and downs but in general I have an impression many are struggling to keep committed members. It takes time to do it properly.

We are rather more welcoming here, I believe.

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Prolific Poster

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:59 pm

I'm also rather glad to see free for all is grinding to a halt. I was with it years ago and it had an agenda, namely to school poets in their own idea of what poetry should be, if you were outside of their agenda they attacked you. I think Poet's Graves in a good forum.
LadyforCamus

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:04 pm

I got that same impression. I have no problem with blunt, brutal honesty in critiques. My primary goal is to improve, and accepting honest critique is the only way to accomplish that, but its almost as if you aren't already a part of the well established clique, people can't even be bothered to comment at all. I definitely like the 'team effort' atmosphere here much better!