Bandwidth issues

"There's more to life than books you know, but not much more."
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:57 am

I haven't been able to get on the site for about four days because the site ran out of bandwidth. Can something be done to prevent this from happening again? I'm prepared to make contributions towards the site, and I'm sure that other people would do that too.

And while I am at it, since the forum software was upgraded two or three months ago, the logo at the top of the board has been the logo for the publisher of the bulletin board software. I'd love to see that fixed. If someone would email me the Poets' Grave logo, I can adapt it to the new size (if that's the problem).
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.
Nicola
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:38 pm

We are having bandwidth issues due to bot activity. I have done some investigating and have banned some unspecified IP addresses. I will keep an eye on the stats to see if that has worked. We shouldnt need to increase our bandwidth package as we have more than enough for the normal use of the forum.

I am intending to change the logo ..just keep putting it off. I have yet another upgrade to do in the meantime.

Thanks for your offer of help though.
Nicola
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:22 am

Upgrade done, logo done...I was going to get the old pg colours back but it’s too time consuming so that will have to wait.

I have made some changes to the bandwidth use and so far it has been cut in half so we should avoid problems at the end of the month. I will keep an eye on it but please email me if you spot the site has gone down. Thanks
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:28 pm

Sorry, I didn't notice your posts until just now.

Thank you for answering and for taking care of all these things. I didn't even notice that for the last ten days I haven't been looking at the bulletin board's logo.

The name of the forum being what it is, I am envisioning a different graphic -- a grave with a hand coming out of it holding a pen, or perhaps a hand coming out of it pecking at a computer keyboard sitting on top of the grave -- something like that. Your logo seems to be just reddish-orange books.

What is the concept behind the name of the forum?
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.
Nicola
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:41 am

The name come from the main website ..www.poetsgraves.co.uk !
The forum is not linked to the main site but have a look at it. The name will be obvious then. Cam set it up several years ago and it still has up to 1700 unique visitors a day - lots of school and university students look at it for the glossary and classic poem sections.
The forum did have a special header but if I change that I have to change all the colours and it has to be done manually. I dont have the time unfortunately so for now it will stay as it is.