Eye eye

"There's more to life than books you know, but not much more."
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:53 pm

Well, I've finally had my much awaited eye operation and I'm pleased to report it all went swimmingly.

The sight in my right lamp is still dodgy but what a difference the op has made. It feels near enough normal and I'm no longer left sided.
Of course things could change, but as I stand now everything is pretty clear, with no streaks, shadows, clouds or obscurity.

I had a vitrectomy and lens replacement, which was followed by gallons of eye drops to help the healing process. I'm on my last bottle now.

The guy in the next bed/chair needed to have an oil bubble replaced by an air bubble in his left eye and he kept telling the nurses
he was in for an oil change. Not only that, but every time a doc or nurse passed by he cried out "aye aye", like they'd never heard that one before.
I couldn't help wetting myself laughing. Speaking of which, I was desperate for the loo just after the op'.

Why did I tell you that?

Just thought I'd let you know, given the false alarm of the last visit to the hospital.

Best to all

JJ
Long time a child and still a child
David

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:54 pm

And best to you too, JJ. Hope you continue to make progress.

Cheers

David
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks very much, David, for the good wishes. Appreciated.

Best

JJ
Antcliff
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:04 pm

Big congratulations, JJ. Terrific to hear it went so well. Gonna be a happy strolling Summer I hope...you deserve it.

Seth
We fray into the future, rarely wrought
Save in the tapestries of afterthought.
Richard Wilbur
lotus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:38 pm

dear JJ

i am always pleased to hear that eye patients have been helped
congratulations and best wishes for a full recovery

silent lotus

and i just happened to be reading this a few days ago

Macular degeneration: 'I've been given my sight back'
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43458365
“A poem should have the touch ... the way sunlight falls on Braille.” .......silent lotus
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:27 pm

JJWilliamson wrote:Well, I've finally had my much awaited eye operation and I'm pleased to report it all went swimmingly.
Yay. That's great news :)
JJWilliamson wrote:he sight in my right lamp is still dodgy
:lol:
Sorry for laughing but, that is something I would say.
JJWilliamson wrote:It feels near enough normal and I'm no longer left sided.
Of course things could change, but as I stand now everything is pretty clear, with no streaks, shadows, clouds or obscurity.

I had a vitrectomy and lens replacement, which was followed by gallons of eye drops to help the healing process. I'm on my last bottle now.
and you have painted these wonderful paintings, and posted your cracking poems all the while. :)
High 5 JJ :D
JJWilliamson wrote: The guy in the next bed/chair needed to have an oil bubble replaced by an air bubble in his left eye and he kept telling the nurses
he was in for an oil change. Not only that, but every time a doc or nurse passed by he cried out "aye aye", like they'd never heard that one before.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
One of my pals has just returned to work after having a hole repaired in her retina. Her eye is still rather bloodshot, and she cringes every time I tell her to keep an eye on it. :wink:
I laugh... :lol:
JJWilliamson wrote:I couldn't help wetting myself laughing.
That could be your age JJ. :wink:
JJWilliamson wrote: Speaking of which, I was desperate for the loo just after the op'.
Confirmed :lol:
JJWilliamson wrote: Why did I tell you that?
Yeah. Why? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, chuffed to bits you have it over and done and you are up and running again. :D
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:32 am

Thanks, Seth

Roll on summer. Bring it on! (slowly) :)

JJ
Antcliff wrote:Big congratulations, JJ. Terrific to hear it went so well. Gonna be a happy strolling Summer I hope...you deserve it.

Seth
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:03 am

Thank you very much indeed, Lotus for your kind words and wonderful link.

During my last appointment with the surgeon, she asked if my vision was still distorted in the right eye. I said it was, but when the damaged eye worked in conjunction with my good eye I experienced near enough normal vision. She paused then spoke slowly and deliberately saying "We'll leave the treatment there for now in that case". I wondered what she was thinking about but didn't ask. It seems stem cell therapy could take things even further. How very interesting.

I know it's still early days, judging by your link, but you just never know.

Best

JJ
lotus wrote:dear JJ

i am always pleased to hear that eye patients have been helped
congratulations and best wishes for a full recovery

silent lotus

and i just happened to be reading this a few days ago

Macular degeneration: 'I've been given my sight back'
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43458365
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks, Pauline, for a hoot of a reply. I thoroughly enjoyed your comments, laughing all the way through.

The funny thing about painting with only one lamp working is the loss of depth (stereo disparity). I would often miss my mark and put a huge splodge of paint anywhere but where I intended. To get round this I would bring my face close to the canvas then guide the tip of the brush to the general intended location, ensuring it was placed away from the edge, but on a part of the pic that was the same colour. Then I'd gradually move the brush outwards to where I wanted the final stroke to fall. It took me some time to develop this technique but it worked. It works, it works, it WORRRRKS!!! (Sorry, I was having a Young Frankenstein moment.) :)

Your friend has my sympathy, especially with her bloodshot eye.
And HOW people stare! (Sorry, I was having a Brideshead Revisited moment. ) :)
Actually, I'd bet my bottom dollar (if I had any) that your pal appreciates the banter. I know I did.
In three words I can sum up what I've learnt about life: it goes on. (Sorry, I was having a Robert Frost moment. :D )

OK, I'll stop there (said the actress to the bishop). Sorry!
Pauline wrote:
JJWilliamson wrote:Well, I've finally had my much awaited eye operation and I'm pleased to report it all went swimmingly.
Yay. That's great news :) ...Long may it last. Fingers crossed.
JJWilliamson wrote:he sight in my right lamp is still dodgy
:lol:
Sorry for laughing but, that is something I would say. ...Made me smile too.
JJWilliamson wrote:It feels near enough normal and I'm no longer left sided.

and you have painted these wonderful paintings, and posted your cracking poems all the while. :)
High 5 JJ :D ...Ah did me best, like.
JJWilliamson wrote: The guy in the next bed/chair needed to have an oil bubble replaced by an air bubble in his left eye and he kept telling the nurses
:lol: :lol: :lol:
One of my pals has just returned to work after having a hole repaired in her retina. Her eye is still rather bloodshot, and she cringes every time I tell her to keep an eye on it. :wink:
I laugh... :lol: ...I bet it lightened her mood no end. It's just the kind of thing to keep you ticking over. You know, when people let you know that it's no big deal and things will soon be better.
JJWilliamson wrote:I couldn't help wetting myself laughing.
That could be your age JJ. :wink:

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. (Sorry, I was having a Mark Twain moment).

Ok, I really will stop.

JJWilliamson wrote: Speaking of which, I was desperate for the loo just after the op'.
Confirmed :lol: ...I was listening to all the post-op advice and wondered how do you say, "Any chance of a p***s".
JJWilliamson wrote: Why did I tell you that?
Yeah. Why? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, chuffed to bits you have it over and done and you are up and running again. :D
Thanks again, Pauline. I did really enjoy your post. Smiled my head off.

Best

JJ
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no

Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:09 pm

JJWilliamson wrote: The funny thing about painting with only one lamp working is the loss of depth (stereo disparity). I would often miss my mark and put a huge splodge of paint anywhere but where I intended. To get round this I would bring my face close to the canvas then guide the tip of the brush to the general intended location, ensuring it was placed away from the edge, but on a part of the pic that was the same colour. Then I'd gradually move the brush outwards to where I wanted the final stroke to fall. It took me some time to develop this technique but it worked.
WOW. I'm absolutely stunned and amazed hearing this JJ. :o
Holy Jayzus!!!!
WOW,WOW,WOW.
I'm lost for words.
I have always respected and admired your work and held you in high regard , but , jeez, you have cranked it up some here like.
JJWilliamson wrote:It works, it works, it WORRRRKS!!!
Ya telling me it does. :)
JJWilliamson wrote:In three words I can sum up what I've learnt about life: it goes on.
Doesn't it just. :wink:

You are in great spirit JJ, and that's wonderful to hear so soon after your op. :)

Can't wait to see what you will produce now that you can actually see what you're doing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks again, Pauline, for the kind and supportive reply. Very nice of you.

I managed to thread a needle yesterday to sew my son's trousers and it felt like an achievement. :)

Pauline wrote:
JJWilliamson wrote: The funny thing about painting with only one lamp working is the loss of depth (stereo disparity). I would often miss my mark and put a huge splodge of paint anywhere but where I intended. To get round this I would bring my face close to the canvas then guide the tip of the brush to the general intended location, ensuring it was placed away from the edge, but on a part of the pic that was the same colour. Then I'd gradually move the brush outwards to where I wanted the final stroke to fall. It took me some time to develop this technique but it worked.
WOW. I'm absolutely stunned and amazed hearing this JJ. :o

Holy Jayzus!!!!
WOW,WOW,WOW.
I'm lost for words.
I have always respected and admired your work and held you in high regard , but , jeez, you have cranked it up some here like.
JJWilliamson wrote:It works, it works, it WORRRRKS!!!
Ya telling me it does. :)
JJWilliamson wrote:In three words I can sum up what I've learnt about life: it goes on.
Doesn't it just. :wink:

You are in great spirit JJ, and that's wonderful to hear so soon after your op. :) ...It's been a fairly uplifting experience so far and I'm enjoying it while it lasts. I'm off to thrash Jack (son) at pool in a mo'. AGAIN!! :lol:

Can't wait to see what you will produce now that you can actually see what you're doing. :lol: :lol: :lol: ...Ha! Just finished one and it was craap!! Started another snow scene, definitely the last one of the season.
Thanks again

JJ