What's your poison?

"There's more to life than books you know, but not much more."
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin
antispam: no

Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:53 am

Although I like a glass or two of red wine, I'm basically a real ale man at heart. Living in Norfolk, I'm spoilt for choice. Favourites include Woodfordes Norfolk Nog:

http://www.woodfordes.co.uk

Buffy's Bitter:

http://www.buffys.co.uk

or Adnams Bitter:

http://www.adnams.co.uk

Adnams is brewed out of the county at Southwold (Suffolk) but I'm prepared to make an exception.

Batemans - brewed at Wainfleet in Lincolnshire - is also up there.

C
Ray Trivedi

Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:09 pm

I would recommend "Mondovino" a film-documentary about the wine business.

Organic French wine is my poison but then again I drink like once a month these days.

Prefer Murphy's for having weird dreams.

My father-in-law, Ivor (the man who built his own computer by buying the parts himself), brews his own but I wouldn't drink it even if he paid me. His living room isn't like a lab, it is a lab.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:34 pm

Ah "Wainfleet"

I know it well, just down the road from Skeggy.

A friend used to live there, very much a "Local town for local people" type place.

I spent my Acid days there - frightening.
http://www.closetpoet.co.uk
dillingworth
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:23 am

i too am a real ale fan, particular favourites include coniston bitter, theakston old peculiar and the summer ale brewed at the turf tavern in oxford. i also drink plenty of sherry and port just to keep up the oxford stereotype...
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:55 am

Kris - Acid Days in Wainfleet - might make a good title for your autobiography!

I once went on a brewery trip round Batemans - courtesy of the Hull uni Real Ale Society. As you can imagine, it was all a bit of blur, following the post tour tasting session. I also stopped in Wainfleet once on the way to a Norwich V Grimsby FA cup game (when you still had that Italian manager?? who threw plates in the dressing room). Great Yorkshire Pud/sausage thing, if I remember rightly. Wainfleet always reminds me of the children's novel 'Moonfleet'.

dill - I stopped drinking Old Peculiar after 4 rushed pints in the Old Dungeon Ghyll in Langdale in the Lake District, which resulted in the rather inevitable chat with Ralph and Huey.
Minstrel
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:01 pm

BENT AND BONGS BEER BASH!.....errr...Atherton and Tyldesley real ale festival...in two weeks and counting. A beltin' do. Usual tipples, if they are still being brewed are Owd Rodger or Owd Tom. Have to say my favourite is the Cumbrian brew Black Sheep Bitter. Real ales definately result in a more pleasant kind of stupid.
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:42 pm

As a proud immigrant I evingelise about our "local" wines - the Okanagan region of B.C. produces some of the best vinos in the (new) world; the pinots noir, syrahs and Gewürtz's in particular knock the socks off 90% of California's output (sorry Keith). Unfortunately it's almost impossible to get this stuff abroad, but if you're ever in B.C., go to a good restaurant and sample it, or better still head out to the interior and tour the wineries yourself.

N.b. be very careful with any and all other Canadian wines. Vancouver Island is a real lucky dip and Ontario is - well, it's the Bulgaria of the New World.

Used to enjoy a pint of real ale but although we have various microbreweries it's just not as good as the UK product.

Got a free shot of vanilla vodka with my bottle of real vodka the other day. Not bad, tasted exactly like vanilla ice cream.
Ray Trivedi

Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:23 am

k-j wrote:As a proud immigrant I evingelise about our "local" wines
I'm intrigued, where have you come from?

Anybody tried Samuel Smith's (brewed in Tadcaster)? In my'umble opinion if you'ven't tried that then you are clearly not qualified to talk about bier. :-)
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:55 pm

I'm from Ingerland, Ray. Moved to Canadia two years ago.

I've had Samuel Smith's (I think). I know I once tried a Tadcaster ale.
Ray Trivedi

Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:18 pm

k-j wrote:"local"
Why have you quoted this word?
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:40 pm

Because the main winemaking region is about 250 - 300 miles inland from me. So it's local in the North American sense.
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:31 pm

Taylor's Landlord's Bitter, Hawkshead Bitter, Dent Bitter, Holt's Bitter and my favourite, Wahrenstephaner Weissbier.

time for a pint.
that girl
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:00 am

I'm too young to drink.
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:43 am

If you're old enough to write poetry then you're not too young to drink. - Lancashire proverb. (it is now).
Last edited by barrie on Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:23 pm

Are you sure the Chinese haven't beaten you to that? I seem to remember a fortune cookie with something similar...
"Don't treat your common sense like an umbrella. When you come into a room to philosophize, don't leave it outside, but bring it in with you." Wittgenstein
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:47 pm

Not as far as I know - mind you, they seem to have said almost everything, so I wouldn't be surprised.
Saul
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:31 am

/
Last edited by Saul on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:42 am

Your right there. It's made, I believe, by one of the Theakston family who refused to sell out to one of the big breweries (S&N?) when Theakstons was bought up - That's why it's called Black Sheep.

cheers
Minstrel
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:02 pm

I stand corrupted.