1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
1 can cream of chicken soup
4 oz. drained water chestnuts

---

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped almonds (optional)
1 cup crushed corn flakes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, mix everything in a bowl except last 3 ingredients, then dump in a casserole dish. In a seperate bowl, melt butter, add almonds and cornflakes, mix thoroughly - sprinkle on the top of forementioned casserole dish. Bake for 35 min.

-----

Good stuff.

Anyone have other recipes? Post here and I'll give them a try.
Last edited by pseud on Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't treat your common sense like an umbrella. When you come into a room to philosophize, don't leave it outside, but bring it in with you." Wittgenstein
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:24 am

I'm always suss of a recipe with cornflakes in it pseud, but I'll see if I can persuade mrs kj to look after the sprog while I chop and bake. How do I get a teaspoon of onion? Do you seriously want me to divide my onions into fractions? This recipe looks like about one portion, should I double or triple it?

I have an awesome recipe for ginger-heavy chicken thighs which I'll locate when I'm sober.
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:35 pm

ah...typo. Should be....well looking in mother's cookbook it appears she is at fault and not me:

1 t onion
1 t lemon juice

My guess is 1 cup, like the celery. I'll edit accordingly.

Thanks for catching it.
"Don't treat your common sense like an umbrella. When you come into a room to philosophize, don't leave it outside, but bring it in with you." Wittgenstein
Ray Trivedi

Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:52 pm

INGREDIENTS

fresh coriander
1 tea spoon of sea salt
2 spring onions
1 diced chunk of fresh tuna
3 green chillies
1 clove of garlic
1 diced pineapple
rice estimated for however many people.

METHOD

1. boil the rice until it's cooked.

2. thinly slice the spring onions and the garlic.

3. put a frying pan on heat and add olive oil and heat it until the oil looks like it's heating up.

4. add the finely chopped garlic and spring onions and the sea salt. Let it soften up for 2 minutes.

5. add the diced pineapple and let it cook for five or so minutes.

6. add the diced tuna with the green chillies and the coriander and let it cook for another five or so minutes to infuse all the flavours.

et voila!

p.s. I try to use organic products most times, and support local fishmongers, etc. No supermarkets for me.
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:51 pm

I'm landlocked right smack in the center of North America. I do not have the luxury of fresh tuna fish. But I'll give this recipe a try. Thanks Ray!
Ray Trivedi

Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:15 pm

Well, you could try tinned tuna. :)
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:43 pm

That's the plan... :)
ki no sei

Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:26 pm

Trim, wash and dry 1.5 kg monkfish and cut into even slices.
Wash and dry the heads and shells of some langoustines.
Chop 4 shallots and crush a large garlic clove.
Chop a little parsley and 2 tablespoons tarragon leaves.
Skin 500 g very ripe tomatoes, remove the seeds, then chop the flesh finely.
Heat 6 tablespoons olive oil in a flameproof casserole or large saucepan and add the langoustine heads and shells and the sliced monkfish.
As soon as the monkfish has started to brown, add the chopped shallots and cook until just golden.
Pour in 1 liquer glass of Cognac and set it alight!
Add the crushed garlic, a strip of dried orange zest, the chopped tarragon and parsley, the chopped tomatoes, a small bouquet garni, 1 tablespoon tomato puree diluted with half bottle of very dry white wine, salt, pepper and cayenne.
Cover and leave to cook for 15 minutes; the fish must remain slightly firm.
Drain the fish and keep warm on a serving dish.
Remove the bouquet garni, strain the sauce and pour over the fish.
Garnish with tarragon sprigs and serve with black Thai rice or any other varieties of rice.
Dario

Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:42 pm

meatballs
great stuff
Minstrel
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:18 pm

Ingredients

4 Rashers Bacon
2 Handfuls Wild/ Field Mushrooms (sliced)
1 Qtr Pint Full Cream Milk
Salt/ Pepper

Fry bacon in a little oil. Add mushrooms (and small knob of butter) and fry until soft. Add milk and simmer gently for ten minutes. Season to taste and serve.

Good with buttered toast.

Note. If you are from Leigh and dont have access to bacon, use a bit of scragg end.
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:56 am

I don't live in Leigh anymore - Bacon grows on trees around Kendal (honest!).
Scragg end? That's more a Liverpool delicacy - they make 'scouse' with it.

Anyway, I'm off to make some lobby!
juliadebeauvoir
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:25 am

Someone please explain "rasher"--we get that here in Wisconsin when we walk through the woods. I am assuming it is an amount of bacon. Also, what we consider ham is actually bacon where you are.
What in the world is a scragg end and do I want to eat it?

:wink: Julia
"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:57 am

Julia.

A rasher is another name for a slice of bacon.

Scragg end refers to the cheapest cut of mutton or lamb. It was popular in Liverpool for adding to a local dish called 'Lobscouse' or 'Scouse'.

Come to think of it, when bacon was machine cut on shop premises, the clamped bit, which was left after slicing, was sold off cheap. This was just called bacon end in Leigh, maybe it was also called scragg end - I can't remember. (Is that what you meant Bongser?)

cheers

Barrie
juliadebeauvoir
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:06 pm

Off the subject just a bit--I had black sausage in Scotland once and cannot describe how terrible it was.
Of course I know that I am a hypocrite as I have a liking for Portugese blood pudding--which is probably dangerous but I eat it any way (but not often)...It's all cultural isn't it?
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:48 pm

Never heard of black sausage from Scotland - haggis is their dish.
Lancashire's famous for black pudding - made of dried pig's blood and spices, I suppose you could call it black sausage. Excellent with bacon, egg and fried bread - you can't beat a health conscious fry-up!

cheers

Barrie
juliadebeauvoir
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:40 pm

I swore they called it Black Sausage and it was mainly spices and probably 95% bread and 5% pig intestines..yum. I didn't have haggis--I know what that is and didn't get the honor of having any.
All I know is that it was served with bacon, eggs and stewed tomatoes. In London I was presented with a breakfast of baked beans, eggs and cooked tomatoes and I almost died.
We only eat baked beans with hotdogs and never, never, never for breakfast!

Cheers,
Julia
Minstrel
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:56 pm

' Bacon grows on trees around Kendal '

' Someone please explain " rasher " we get that here in Wisconsin when we walk round the woods '

Am I missing something here?...like a new process of crossing pigs with trees?

Would that make Poak?

Julia. Black Sausage is an inferior Scottish version of Lancashire Black Pudding which is traditionally boiled and served with Colemans English Mustard.

Barrie. Scragg End is, as you say, a cheap cut of mutton or lamb.
If you can get that, ask the butcher for knuckle joint, but tell him its for the dog, he'll give it you for nowt!
juliadebeauvoir
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:40 pm

Hey Ministrel,
maybe the 'bacon that grows on trees in Kendal' is a pignut hickory! I was only kidding about the 'rasher'--you always get a rash; poison ivy, something creepy-crawly up the leg, deer ticks when walking in the woods here.
Now why in the world would I ever want to ask my Butcher for a knuckle joint! :shock:
Minstrel
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:23 pm

Well they could be willows crossed with hogs, boars and pigs which would make a hollow, a billow and a pillow.
Since youve asked, ( and husbandry is not one of my favourite subjects ) the knuckle joint is either one of the ' ball ' bones from the shoulder of a cow!

Good for the teeth.....of a dog that is. Boiled can make a good stock for broth because is rich in marrow......which has to be good for you, doesnt it?