So, what shall we do...

"There's more to life than books you know, but not much more."
bodkin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no
Location: Two inches behind my eyes just above the bridge of my nose.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:11 pm

...that is amazing in 2014?

Note: following the gratuitous misuse of the word "awesome" during the year 2013, including but not limited to one occasion when I offered somebody a chocolate digestive and was told it was "Awesome!", this word is being withdrawn for an experimental period. This decision will be re-evaluated in early 2015...

I think we should definitely have some competitions, but to my mind that is only "great".

We really need something to cap Making Contact which I re-read the whole of just last month and I am still gob-smacked at how good it is...

Any ideas? Landing a Poet on the Moon? Taking over a small South American country? Launching decentralized digital currency based on the requirements of encoding all transactions as an iambic quatrain with puns in two languages?

Even if you don't have any ideas, let me wish you a Happy New Year (delivery expected in about 2 hours, TBC)!

Ian
http://www.ianbadcoe.uk/
David

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:40 pm

bodkin wrote:e really need something to cap Making Contact which I re-read the whole of just last month and I am still gob-smacked at how good it is...
I do agree. Was leafing through it again last night.
bodkin wrote:Even if you don't have any ideas, let me wish you a Happy New Year (delivery expected in about 2 hours, TBC)!
Likewise!
Ros

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:47 pm

We could do a recap on our ANON competition, which, it was generally agreed, was a highlight of <insert year here>.

Happy New Year to all, though I'm expecting mine in a little over 3 hours... :D

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:49 pm

I think, after careful casting around and throwing our bread across various waters, that we have come to the conclusion that This Is The Place To Be! And long may it last!
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:54 pm

Ros wrote:We could do a recap on our ANON competition, which, it was generally agreed, was a highlight of <insert year here>.
Oh yes, that was a good one...
Happy New Year to all, though I'm expecting mine in a little over 3 hours... :D

Ros
I said it was TBC, looks like it's delayed until midnight. Probably fog in the channel, donchaknow...

Ian
Antcliff
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:29 pm

And there’s a hand, my trusty fiere !
and gie's a hand o’ thine !
And we’ll tak a right gude-willy waught,
for auld lang syne.
We fray into the future, rarely wrought
Save in the tapestries of afterthought.
Richard Wilbur
Antcliff
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:38 pm

We really need something to cap Making Contact
I really like the ambition of this......but have no ideas as yet.
Richard Wilbur
Magpie Jane
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:19 am

Surely we should be able to cook up something?

Myself, I have no ideas either, right now. But ideas often come when they're least expected.
Any road: Happy newyear, everyone! May we never cease to overtake ourselves by surprise.

Jane
Everything looks better by candlelight.
Everything sounds more plausible on the shortwave.
Nash

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:43 am

I suppose we could always set up a Poets' Graves magazine? Invite submissions from outside of the forum as well as perhaps having featured poems from the members?

But, then again, this may cause a conflict of interests for Ros, so perhaps not such a good idea. Perhaps make it a print magazine instead? Different editors from the regular members for each issue? Could be good advertising for the forum too, bringing in new members.
Ros

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:19 pm

Nash wrote:I suppose we could always set up a Poets' Graves magazine? Invite submissions from outside of the forum as well as perhaps having featured poems from the members?

But, then again, this may cause a conflict of interests for Ros, so perhaps not such a good idea. Perhaps make it a print magazine instead? Different editors from the regular members for each issue? Could be good advertising for the forum too, bringing in new members.
Even to do an online mag is a lot more work than you might imagine, and a print version even more so - and how would it be funded? I've no objection if anyone wanted to, happy to offer my experience, but not to do the work!

Ros

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:31 pm

Ros wrote:Even to do an online mag is a lot more work than you might imagine, and a print version even more so - and how would it be funded?
A lot of work? Definitely, I'd imagine. I was thinking if we shared the workload between members it would ease the load. Perhaps a pairing of two members for each quarterly issue? Of course, if anyone wanted to act as editor-in chief the all the better.

As for funding, The Delinquent ran successfully for 5 years (twenty issues) by using POD with Lulu. Customers bought their issues directly from Lulu. Something like an A5 size, 100 page book costs something like £2.95 per unit to produce. Sell it for something like £3.50 and your making a small profit which can be put back into PG for other projects etc.

Just some thoughts to put out there.

Nash.
Ros

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:43 pm

Interesting idea. Doesn't lulu tend to charge a lot for postage?

We keep thinking about print ideas as a spin-off from Antiphon, but haven't actually got to grips with anything yet. One problem is that we'd like to offer a free copy to contributors - so that would have to be funded somehow. Producing something contributors have to pay for seems like vanity publishing to me, and I've always wanted to avoid that.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:53 pm

Ros wrote:Interesting idea. Doesn't lulu tend to charge a lot for postage?
Not sure about the postage, I don't know a great deal about Lulu, other than having a quick browse last night.
Ros wrote:One problem is that we'd like to offer a free copy to contributors - so that would have to be funded somehow. Producing something contributors have to pay for seems like vanity publishing to me, and I've always wanted to avoid that.
I know what you mean, Ros. But The Delinquent was fairly well respected I believe and the whole POD thing went well with their edgy, post-punk attitude.

Another benefit of POD is that you can start off by letting customers buy their own copies directly from Lulu. Once you've got a feel of the customer base and how many units you'll be shifting each quarter, you can always buy yourself in bulk and make more profit per unit. I think Lulu have an option of kindle editions sold through Amazon too.
bodkin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:54 pm

It is always that free copies issue (the issue of issuing free issues, that is...) that seems to get in the way of using POD for a poetry periodical...

...maybe we just have to get past that. Suppose we called the magazine "No Freebies" and just made it an up-front point that we couldn't afford to send any author copies. It isn't like we would oblige the author to buy any either...

Ian

p.s. Or, we could call it "Without Compliments" :-)
Ros

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:59 pm

If you can get more than contributors paying money for the thing, then you can subsidise the contributors. But getting anyone to pay money for poetry is tricky.
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:51 pm

As an option, could we go for small themed books rather than a mag? Ink,Sweat and Tears did "Slanted Xmas Poems", a slender poetry volume. Summat along those lines. We would then not need to face the "complimentary copy" question, clash with Antiphon, or face a mountain of editorial work.
Richard Wilbur
Ros

Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:28 pm

Antcliff wrote:As an option, could we go for small themed books rather than a mag? Ink,Sweat and Tears did "Slanted Xmas Poems", a slender poetry volume. Summat along those lines. We would then not need to face the "complimentary copy" question, clash with Antiphon, or face a mountain of editorial work.
If we assume we're pretty much making and selling them for ourselves, that sounds like a good idea. We could produce really nice pamphlets for a few pounds each, probably.

Ros

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:12 pm

Ros wrote: If we assume we're pretty much making and selling them for ourselves, that sounds like a good idea.
It does sound like a good idea. I cannot possibly exaggerate the indifference of my friends to my poetical endeavours, so I'd just need a small print run.
Oskar
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:43 pm

May I suggest promoting the audio section more than is being done at the moment? I’ve always liked walking in and listening to Barrie, Kris et al read their poetry. Listening, instead of reading, brings its own peculiar pleasure. It gives words voice and personality. I particularly relish listening to a reader’s accent. It’s a very up front and personal way of enjoying the written word.

It might also be interesting to have a You’ve got a minute… audio section, in which people are invited to say, in a minute, ANYTHING that occurs to them about their life in poetry e.g. why they write poetry, poets or poems that inspire, “coming out” as a poet and how family and friends respond to such an appalling revelation! Anything. It’s an opportunity to vent, but you’ve only got a minute.

There is also some very good poetry to be found on YouTube. There might be some mileage in having a sub-section for classic poetry readings, like the Masefield clip that Seth recently posted, and clips that showcase current poets who read and/or perform.

There you go. That's me done.
"This is going to be a damn masterpiece, when I finish dis..." - Poeterry
Ros

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:15 pm

Antiphon is keen to produce some pamphlets this year - I was thinking of approaching particular poets, but it might be an idea to produce a number of pamphlets with perhaps of 4 or 5 poets that go well together in each and could be classed under a 'PG' label. I think if I was to be involved it would have to be under the Antiphon heading. Would also mean that it didn't count as self-published, too.

Good ideas about the audio too, Oskar. There is a youtube video of me reading, but I'm hesitant to post it because it's a bit rubbish and mildly embarrassing.

Ros
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:57 pm

Missed this thread...

I think we're doing great as it is... the challenge/exercise thing every couple of weeks seems to have injected some real vim into PG... the new features board is cool...

That said, the ideas about beefing up the audio section and doing pamphlets etc are good too.

The ANON comp thing I really want to do again, but I can't quite remember how we went about it last time - can someone remind me? I've lost the spreadsheet I used and which I was so proud of, but I can make another once I figure out the mechanics of it.
fine words butter no parsnips
Ros

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:31 pm

Yes, PG generally doing fine!

The anon comp - we had one account that anyone could use for their post, I think, and you kept a list of titles. People must have confessed at the end which poem was theirs.
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:05 am

Wow! It's good to see this place so active. Lovely. Just wanted to say so. Nice to see you all. I should write something..er? I hope to be more active in 2014.

Warmly,
Suzanne