I have done it again.

If you're new to the forum and want to introduce yourself, this is the place.
birdboy

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:29 am

Lady Lazarus
I have done it again.
One year in every ten
I manage it——
Hello everyone,

I am a university student in India. Until a few years ago I used to read and write poetry, except, I struggled with intonation and other poetic devices (and I still do). Being worried that I could not derive the same enjoyment out of reading poems as others did, I tried to understand and apply poetic devices but failed. So if reading poetry was like having bread, I imagined poets to derive joy by identifying the seasonings and appreciating the softness of the loaf while I stood in a corner with a damn dry bread. So I set aside eating bread/poetry for a while.

However, I still want to derive joy from reading poems and I've decided to renew my efforts. I'll look forward to reading a lot of the poems posted on this forum and by reading the critiques posted on threads I will be able to understand poetry better. Initially, I will be able to offer only my view on the poems and I am still apprehensive about posting poetry here because I'll be very bad at it. However, I will practice writing poetry and take notes from the critiques posted while also giving my honest opinion on the poems posted.

A lot of times I've come across this quotation by Emily Dickinson- "If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can warm me I know that is poetry. If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry. These are the only way I know it. Is there any other way?” and I've always wanted to experience this. Or maybe there is another way. I don't know. Again, hello everyone!
David

Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:16 pm

Hello birdboy, and welcome.

If you have a less unflattering real name - I'm sure you do - then feel free to share it. Or keep it to yourself, if you prefer. I'm really not sure how I feel about addressing someone as birdboy. It sounds just a bit insulting to me, but that's up to you.

I'm David anyway.

Cheers

David
birdboy

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:29 pm

Hello David!

My real name is Atharva. I am okay with being addressed as birdboy or by my real name. Thank you for welcoming me here.

Regards

Atharva
David

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:39 pm

Atharva! Yes, that's much nicer. I shall use that, if you don't mind.

It's Christmas here, of course, so things are pretty quiet. Don't be deterred. They'll pick up.

Cheers

David
birdboy

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:57 pm

No, I do not mind at all :D I understand that it is Christmas time so I'm dipping into the resources posted here and reading the very helpful guides. Have a merry Christmas David!

Regards

Atharva
Firebird

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:32 pm

Welcome Atharva.

As David said please don’t be deterred by the Christmas lull here. Things will definitely pick up in the New Year.

I look forward to reading your work.

Cheers,

Tristan
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:52 am

Hello, BB, from JJ. :)

A hearty welcome to you, Atharva, and please do share your poems with us when you have the time and feel the urge.

As for worrying about your approach to poetry, I wish I had a pound for every duff one I've written. :)

For me poetry should provoke a reaction of some sort. If I don't react emotionally, in some way, I can be left feeling rather flat. That said, some verse can burn slowly, where it grows on you as you think about the content, metaphors, applicability to personal circumstances and that sort of thing. Poetry, also, doesn't always have to be complex or academic or both, a vehicle for proving how clever you/we are. It can, in fact, be simple and to the point, although simplicity isn't necessarily the only way. Poetry is so many things to so many people, so I'd say just try to find your voice and say the things YOU want to say. I'm sure you have a wealth of experiences and knowledge to share, so tap into them and see what occurs.

All the best

JJ
Long time a child and still a child