Let me introduce myself ...

If you're new to the forum and want to introduce yourself, this is the place.
fifimae

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:38 pm

Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I am Fifi Mae and I have been privately writing poetry for about five years. I'm pretty shy to part with it, or to send it away - I often feel like it is unfinished. The more formal aspects of poetry/poetic form are not my strength. I guess I write free or blank verse and feel like I can relate the most to this modern/contemporary form. It would be grand to learn about more structurally poetic and traditional forms, though not sure I'm up to the task. I've enjoyed what I've read here so far and think that there is a lot of good discussions and interaction happening on this forum. Below is one of my blog pages.

Fifi M

http://sippingnectarontheprecipice.tumblr.com/
bodkin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no
Location: Two inches behind my eyes just above the bridge of my nose.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi Fifi,

If you need people to be gentle in their critique then stay in "beginners" for a while and also maybe mention what sort of feedback you want.

People should "critique the poem, not the poet" however and we will correct anybody who doesn't.

Feel free to be modern or ancient, formal or informal as you wish, although an obsolete feeling style will sometimes attract suggestions that the poet update... it doesn't sound like this will apply to you, however.

As regards poetry being unfinished, there is a saying: "A poem is never finished; it is only abandoned." And there is a lot of truth in that. You'll go through phases of big writing and fine-tuning and re-writing and at some point you have to artificially say "good enough" and call it done. There isn't any moment when it actually is definitively done, and years later you come back to a poem and your first instinct is to change something...

...the nice thing about a forum is you can put up "not sure whether this is finished" pieces and get some feedback on how you are doing.

Ian
http://www.ianbadcoe.uk/
Antcliff
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:36 pm

Greetings, Fifi :D
We fray into the future, rarely wrought
Save in the tapestries of afterthought.
Richard Wilbur