Greetings!

If you're new to the forum and want to introduce yourself, this is the place.
Jackie
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Greetings!

I was stuck when the PG registration form asked me what time zone I live in. Right now, and part of each year, I am in GMT -4/5. But most of the year I am in GMT, because I live in West Africa. I've had trouble on other poetry sites making myself understood; when I feel like I'm explaining too much to make a poem understood in another culture, people reading it tell me I'm not giving them enough background. So I'll be looking for help in how to transcend the barrier, and I'll be so grateful for whatever you have to say.

Jackie
Ros
antispam: no

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi Jackie, welcome to PG! What other poetry sites have you tried? I guess poetry that transcends cultures can be difficult - sometimes you may have to accept that some people will understand what you're saying, and others won't. What culture are you coming from?

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks, Ros. There was one called Alienflower, and Poets Workshop at iVillage. As for cultures, I guess the usual problem for me is that I'm trying to express something that sprouted from Africa to readers from the West.

Jackie
Antcliff
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:37 pm

Greetings, Jackie!
We fray into the future, rarely wrought
Save in the tapestries of afterthought.
Richard Wilbur
Jackie
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:24 am

Thanks, Antcliff.
bodkin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no
Location: Two inches behind my eyes just above the bridge of my nose.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:52 am

Welcome!

For the cross-cultural thing you can take two approaches:

1) explain a bit where the poem comes from before presenting the poem. Poets at poetry readings often do this when they introduce a poem. For me, this is not the ultimate test of a poem. Ultimately/eventually it has to stand on its own, but it can be the fastest way for an audience to get into it (and the idea of a poem entirely without context is nonsense, there is always some sort of assumptions that the audience (and poet) are making...)

2) warn that there might be cross-cultural issues, but do not explain them -- then you can get the reviewer's feedback without pre-loading their conceptions -- and then you can explain what you really meant afterwards, and they can give yet more feedback on how close they got to your intent.

Good luck!

Ian
http://www.ianbadcoe.uk/
David2
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi Jackie. Welcome, and good luck!

David
Jackie
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:31 am

Thanks, David. And thanks, Bodkin. I like the forgiving way you explained the alternatives. I tend to think there should be some universal plane on which the poem can stand on its own, but it is silly, isn't it, to think it even should be decontextualized.
shadwell smith
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

"Hello, Jackie."

Jackie
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Hey, Shadwell--thanks for the greeting.