We are upgraded!

Get help with technical problems and keep up to date with any changes to the forum.
Nicola
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:39 pm

I'm sure you've noticed but I have upgraded the forum. I have to say at the moment it's a bit confusing but there's lots of tinkering to be done yet.

Please let me know if you find things that are not working etc.

You can now upload attachments which will be useful especially in the post-a-lyric section. I have not set all the permissions yet so at the moment you can only upload to that section.

The blue colour may have to go - not sure at the moment.

Your profile is now called the 'User Control Panel'.

Moderators seem to have gone 'global' (actually that seems to be just myself and Cam)

etc etc etc

Nicki
ps I'm sure there will be a debate as to whether you prefer your avatar etc on the left or right. However, at the moment it will be staying on the right...
David

Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:51 pm

Wow! Stunning. It's going to take a bit of getting used to.

This is probably a bit late, but there's no chance of a spell check procedure, is there? Not that I need it myself of course - my problem is that I can spell, but I can't always type.

Still, at least it might stop Kilravock visiting Prauge and slagging off The Hauge etc.
Minstrel
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:55 pm

Lol.......

Impressive, well done.

Minst.
Nicola
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:56 pm

This is all Kim's fault! It started when she asked for a spell check. As far as I can see this doesn't have one but apparently Firefox has some sort of checking thing. I'm still working on it.
David

Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:00 pm

Slightly sinister footnote ... "you will be upgraded" - isn't that what the cybermen say? I'm not complaining, I'm all for upgrades, expecially as - so fas as I can remember - the alternative is deletion, which I'd really rather avoid.
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin
antispam: no

Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:14 pm

Exterminated, assimilated and then recycled.

Sorry, I'm just testing the new system.

I don't know how she did it because I couldn't even understand the first sentence of the notes:

"If you have shell access to your account (via telnet or ssh for example) you may want to upload the entire phpBB3 archive (in binary mode) to a local directory on your system using your favourite compression programme."

Probably, yes.

C
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:17 pm

Eyyup -this is posh intit?

Where am I?

nicely blue

Barrie
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:20 pm

Brave New World indeed.

I like the avatars on the right hand side and the text looks good on the page. The blue's a bit overwhelming though.

Lots of gizmos and gadgets.

C
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:55 pm

Very snazzy, well played.

I agree the blue is a little overwhelming, perhaps some colour experimentation is required.

As for the left/right debate I opt for the left, but no big deal.

Now, where do i go?
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:45 pm

Stop moaninng about the blue - I like blue, blue's nice - I like the aviators on the right too. Can they be made blue?

Gainsborough.
Wabznasm
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:25 pm

Crikey.

A quick test for indentation... does it work?

Well?

EDIT Ah, that's a shame

I like this cool, modern blue. Shall we fire up a few new threads about our favourite types of iPod?

Great jobs guys

Oh, and this new text box is great.

Dave
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:26 pm

How about black?

Black, black, black...

"My eyes are pies, and yours are lies..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8f7MD6wVGs
Last edited by camus on Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:47 pm

Ooohhh there is a new tag denoting who's online, no hiding.....
David

Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:01 pm

Hang on a sec, what's this Add friend / Add foe facility? I'm not even sure about "Add friend" (cliquishness?), but "Add foe"? Not sure about that one at all.

What's the thinking, oh celestial ones?
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:26 pm

I don't rightly know.

Some of our younger users may be able to explain. I presume you can block posts from people you don't like?? Or cosy up (in a virtual kind of way) with people you like??

Cam
Travis
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:40 pm

While change invariably brings about some degree of disconcertion among those slapped in the face by it, and while common sense tells us that that it'll take a little time to get used to the facelift, I still think I have a legitimate insight to bring to the table here regarding our avatars now being displayed on the right.

If you think about it, we all sort of unconsciously identify different members by means of peripherally browsing the left side of the screen as we scroll down through the various threads. Now, while we can still do the same (on the right) we still have the problem of the new format being counterintuitive and highly unconventional. To the former, the most basic premise of that which we do here (read & write) is ignored for the sake of a new practice that now forces us to "move" from right to left in order to identify the author of the post we are about to read.

Left to right is how we write (pun only slightly intended), and left to write is how we read (insert obligatory dyslexic joke here). This is why avatars and other pertinent displays are normally placed on the left. Simply put, it's intuitive. And, well, simply put, the new format isn't.

As for it being unconventional, that just follows the intuitive bit to the logical conclusion of most forums placing the aforementioned equipage on the left and thus creating convention. Hence, what we have here now is unconventional.

If you haven't already guessed, my own personal opinion is that I don't like it. I'm not too keen on the color scheme either. In fact, the whole layout doesn't seem neutral enough to me. Everything seems to detract in some way from the actual writing. But that's probably just because I haven't gotten used to it yet...

Oh, and congratulations on the upgrade. Seriously.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:47 pm

I couldn't have said better myself....probably why I didn't!

Seriously, some relevant points made there, especially about the left to right positioning.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:14 am

Ok, I've been thinking, the forum should perhaps reflect the main site design?

Nicki, I know it's far easier said than done! But I'll piss you off anyway:

Why not some burnt oranges, sepias, why not some subtle grey with the odd flash of orange orange?

I think the transition from main site to forum would be less of a visual shock if things were toned down, integrated a little?
juliadebeauvoir
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:45 am

I am loving this new look! I like the blue color and don't think it is loud at all. Great layout too.
Camus does have a great idea of incorporating the main page into the forum.
Nicki, you have done an amazing job! User Control Panel might be a challenge, but I'm up for it.

Cheers,
Kimberly
Nicola
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:52 am

Thanks for all the comments. This is the standard template for the new phpbb. It is supposed to be easily customised. When/if I can find the relevant files I intend to alter the colour scheme and table width. I may also change the icons. It will probably evolve over time. At the moment my priority is to ensure it works. Yesterday I did spend around 6 hours just getting it up and running. Now I can tinker with the appearance.
camus wrote:Nicki, I know it's far easier said than done! But I'll piss you off anyway:

Why not some burnt oranges, sepias, why not some subtle grey with the odd flash of orange orange?
Kris -This is my plan but as always it is much easier said than done. You should see the .css files - miles of them.

There's lots to get to grips with so it may take a while.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:51 pm

You should see the .css files - miles of them.

I know, a tangled web indeed, I'm having the same hassles with an e-commerce site, all css based.

Here's a tip that may help, I've found it useful. In firefox there is a tool called aardvark, http://karmatics.com/aardvark/ once installed you can use it to outline div tags, css, html, very handy when completely confused as to which class belongs where etc.

Good luck.
Travis
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:57 pm

Nicola wrote: Thanks for all the comments. This is the standard template for the new phpbb. It is supposed to be easily customised. When/if I can find the relevant files I intend to alter the colour scheme and table width. I may also change the icons. It will probably evolve over time. At the moment my priority is to ensure it works. Yesterday I did spend around 6 hours just getting it up and running. Now I can tinker with the appearance.
No doubt it will evolve as time goes by. Your priorities are understandable as well, and I am in no way trying to take away from them. You know, like, all myopically like?

Anyway I'm just saying that I understand, but also that I think it's important to discuss the changes in terms of what we each like and dislike about them. If nothing else, suggestions made here will give you something to reference and to consider when you begin to make aesthetic decisions.

As always, your work is greatly appreciated.
oranggunung
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:17 pm

Nicki

thanks for all your hard work.

I'm sure people will acclimatise to the blue in time (or the orange, umber, sepia, tangerine, puce, whatever).

If the avatars are counter intuitive, does this mean contributors will be exercising the left and right sides of their brains simultaneously? That's the sort of mental gymnastics people pay a fortune for, and we're getting it for free. What value for money!

og
Travis
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:30 pm

If I were to lean in real close and take a whiff, would your head smell like administrator shit?
marten
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:18 pm

It was pretty solid before the upgrade. Now it's at absolute zero (–273.15 °C); the point in which molecules are no longer able to move. Making them incredibly solid and quite cool - nicely done! My only feeling, is that just a hint of green, in the blue, would look nice. The color now is very similar to the blue shade in windows xp.
Well you know you can't spend what you ain't got,
you can't lose some blues you ain't never had
-Muddy Waters