Just a thought on positive/negative feedback idea

Get help with technical problems and keep up to date with any changes to the forum.
creational
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:34 pm

I have been on a few other forum sites and i agree with you cameron that some are full of a bunch of plonkers patting each other on the back.
I have recently posted some poems on deliric.com (a new site) and found this site to be better than most for real critical appraisal.
One thing they do do though to the contrary is allow all viewers of a specific poem to to answer the question "do you like this poem?" and then give a yes or no reply with the most favourite five being put on a list. Now I realise that this could be construed as against what we are all here to try and achieve, as in the critique of others and ourselves to build our skills. But to me it seems a shame that those who dont feel able, cant be bothered, or just dont have any comment to make on a poem dont have any other avenue in which to offer a quick input or reaction to how they feel about a poem. So many views and yet so few comments.
I am not sure how many people are actually using this site at the moment as obviously many come and go so therefore the amount of views maybe consistent with members etc?
I must say I do like what you are doing here and I wondered whether any of you had any ideas on this? maybe something similar without the top 5 thing eg. just rating per poem based on a basic points system of plus one for positive and minus one for negative.
Please dont be offended just thought you guys might like to throw some ideas around?

J
Last edited by creational on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:46 pm

No one's going to be offended at this creational. I think it's a decent idea.

The only problem with the rating system that I can see is, it gets so easy for people to vote against a poem without commenting. When someone likes my poem, I'm grateful. Sure, I'd like to know wha worked for future reference but it's not necessary. However, when someone doesn't like my poem...then I want to know why - even if it's not something I can fix.

If I'm misunderstanding this idea just say so. Thanks for speaking up.

- Caleb
creational
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:12 pm

Like you say people who disagree with a poem are likely to reply to explain why.
I just see this as an alternative input method. I think the people who actually use this site as it is intended wouldnt think of not commenting just because they have the ability to leave feedback?
If you like a poem and it is perfectly constructed (to you) then you wouldnt reply, except to praise?
If you liked it but saw a small flaw then you would?

Justs seems a waste of mental energy to not have someway of comment for all the reads that go uncharted?

Maybe some of the viewers would just opt for the easy option but i think anyone worth their salt would still leave a critique if they felt they wanted to?

There already is a popularity system inplace based on viewings and critiques?

Just think this could add a new dimension but obviously I respect the fact this could go wrong. What about the possibility of a trial period to see if it would work without ruining the integrity of the site?

J