Spam question

Get help with technical problems and keep up to date with any changes to the forum.
Macavity

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:28 pm

I'm posting on another writing site that is being attacked by spam. I've seen sites close before because of spam attacks. I wondered how PG secures itself from such attacks?

best

mac
Nicola
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:04 am

Hi there... do you mean spam members? All our new ‘members’ have to have their registration approved by me, Cam or Ros. This means that only ‘real’ people are acitvated ...hopefully. It also means that sometimes people have to wait a while before activation so hopefully if they are genuine they will hang around and wait for us. It’s an ongoing battle. Oh ..
and I keep the forum software up to date..
Macavity

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:20 am

Thanks Nicola. It sounds like a time consuming process because you have to identify 'real' registrations.

Happy new year

Mac
Nicola
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:36 am

It is a bit time consuming but not too bad. Some names are obviously spam and I don’t bother to investigate further. Generally speaking any real person will email if I’ve missed them so I don’t worry too much. It’s far easier than being swamped as we have in the past by bots and spam.