Birdsong

Was Albert Camus a better goalkeeper than George Orwell? Have your say here.
Raisin
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:29 pm

What do people think of this book? Fantastic in my opinion...
In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded. (Terry Pratchett on the Big Bang Theory)
David

Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:12 pm

Couldn't get past the opening chapters, R. Set in a French furniture factory or something, wasn't it? Maybe I should have persevered, but it didn't look as though it was going to be worth it. I could have been wrong.

Cheers

David
sneaker
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:48 am

The only book I've ever read with tears rolling down my face.Aboslutely fantastic book.
I've read the Girl at the Lion d'Or & Charlotte (something, name escapes me) which didn't quite hit the mark. I've also got On Green Dolphin Street but haven't read it yet.
Sneaker
"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need. " M.Jagger
Raisin
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:02 pm

Hi all,
David, the thing with Birdsong is once you struggle past the opening chapters, it is absolutely amazing, as are many books like that. It is set mostly in France, pre-war and post-was, and in the middle of the war as well.
Sneaks, I know what you mean, I have cried over a couple of books but Birdsong was probably the worst!
Raisin
In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded. (Terry Pratchett on the Big Bang Theory)
David

Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:04 pm

One of our friends told me it was worth sticking with. I chose to disbelieve her. Silly me.

I might give it another go, although most modern novels are a waste of time anyway. There's so much else to read!
Raisin
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:39 pm

Indeed there is! And so little time to do it in, I was disgusted at the reading choice for the English lit course this year, "spies" by Frayn. Read it? If you haven't, good for you, I don't think it's worth it.
bobvincent
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:57 am

I found it a little disappointing, and found myself not as moved as I thought I would be. Overlong, perhaps?