Did Graves know anything of value about the Celts?

Was Albert Camus a better goalkeeper than George Orwell? Have your say here.
ioansant

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:22 pm

Last edited by ioansant on Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:39 pm

I've read this piece before and found it quite interesting. Although I agree with most of what he says, I detect a faint aroma of sour must here.
I've read The White Goddess three times from cover to cover (you need to, believe me), and I still dip into it. It's an invaluable source of poetic myth which Ellis fails to acknowledge. The section on the old Beth-Luis-Nion alphabet, the so called tree alphabet, is also fascinating collection of folk tales and myth concerning the various trees mentioned. However, the first letter Beth, which Graves says is named after the birch, is surprisingly identical to the second letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Saying that, Duir does mean 'oak' - derw, in Welsh (I think). This is where the word derwydd or druid, meaning oak-seer comes from. So Graves has got at least one right, maybe more, but Ellis wouldn't tell us that.
I'd recommend it to anyone who's interested in poetry or mythology. I think it's decribed as an historical grammar of poetic myth, whatever that means. Best to read it and make your own mind up - I'd also recommend his Greek Myths.

cheers

Barrie

Interesting title BTW - But does anyone know what the word Celtic really means - Is it a race, a nation, or is it a culture?
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:31 am

OK Ioan - but what are the Celts? Now, I mean? Who is a Celt, and who isn't? Are Welsh speakers Celts? What about non-Gaelic speaking Irish? It seems to me like a pseudo-nationality, not much more than a clique these days. If you asked 1,000 people from Ireland, say, what culture, race or nationality they identified with, I bet not many would say first of all "Celtic".

I think the key word in your post is close to the end: "ancient". Celtism is breathing into a corpse. After all, if the Italians can move on from Rome, the Welsh ought to be able to move on from Celtia.
fine words butter no parsnips