Paul Gallico's - The Snow Goose - 1941 (short Story)

Was Albert Camus a better goalkeeper than George Orwell? Have your say here.
Greenman

Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:10 pm

I have known of this book for years but, had not got around to reading it until recently, when I came across a copy in my local Oxfam Book shop. The copy I have is a 1951 dog-eared hard-back book with drawings by Sir Peter Scott.

I went on to read this short story in one go as it was only 50 or so pages long. Wow! Why did I not read this book sooner? It is a beautiful story of a deformed man (Philip Rhayader) who lives in a abandon lighthouse on a wild wind-swept Essex marsh (1930's) and who befriends a young girl (Frith) who brings him an injured Snow Goose. The story goes on to tell how their friendship grows and how finally Rhayader goes to help with rescuing of troops from Dunkirk and is killed (sad ending).

The Snow Goose was later made into a short film (BBC 1971) with Richard Harris & Jenny Agutter, who won a Emmey for her role as Frith. Later in 1975 the progressive rock band Camel produced a album based on the book, which upset Paul Gallico. To the point that he was going to sue as he a non-smoker, believed the band was connected to Camel Fags! This was averted by the band adding the words music inspired by the book 'The Snow Goose'.

Later this year I am hoping to start writting a collection of poems based on this wonderful book. So please watch this space for future postings!

Greenman :D
Middlesex.