The Importance of Being Ernest Hemingway

Was Albert Camus a better goalkeeper than George Orwell? Have your say here.
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin
antispam: no

Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:26 pm

I was browsing through the 'H' section in the college library today and came across a few Hemingways. I had forgotton what a class act old Ernie was. If you're looking for examples of deceptively simple, clear, direct, show-not-tell prose, then he's definitely your man.

He also borrowed his titles from John Donne (For Whom the Bell Tolls) which further adds to his credibility.

Cam
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:04 pm

I remember my freshman year of highschool (I was about 15), when we had to read "The Old Man and the Sea" and everyone complained that nothing happened. I've come to love the book.

Caleb
that girl
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:00 pm

I believe Ernest Hemmingway was homosexual.

And I liked The Old Man and the Sea as well. Granted, nothing ever really did happen. I prefer his short stories.

.tg.
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:58 pm

Hmm....I believe Hemingway was married numerous times...not homosexual.

http://www.ernest.hemingway.com/page9a.htm

I could be wrong though.
"Don't treat your common sense like an umbrella. When you come into a room to philosophize, don't leave it outside, but bring it in with you." Wittgenstein
that girl
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:04 pm

Huh. that was one of the reasons I thought so. He couldnt keep a wife longer than a few short years.
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:04 pm

Neither can Donald Trump or Prince Charles...
"Don't treat your common sense like an umbrella. When you come into a room to philosophize, don't leave it outside, but bring it in with you." Wittgenstein
Mark

Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:58 am

Do you know what the name of the John Donne work that Hemingway used for the For Whom the Bell Tolls quoatation? I remember reading it once, but I can't find it now!

I didn't know he used Donne for other book titles - do you know which ones?
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin
antispam: no

Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:04 am

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.

It comes from Death's Duel which was one of Donne's sermons rather than one of his poems.

When I said 'titles' I really meant only one title.

Cheers
Cam
The Ghost of Brian Jones

Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:20 pm

the happenings in The Old Man and the Sea are internal not external. the fact that hamingway uses essentially all show not tell makes the happenings hard to percieve. plus he invented the iceberg theory about how only ten percent is on the surface and the other ninety percent is merely implied. but yes, i agree, Hemingway is a damned genius.
"the kids today, they got nothing to say. they got nothing to say because they taught 'em that way."-Anton A. Newcombe