How do you read fiction?

Was Albert Camus a better goalkeeper than George Orwell? Have your say here.
lemonstar
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:02 am

Sounds like a stupid question. Maybe it is.

How much do you wonder about what a book says about its author - their life experiences, their views? I tend to think this is quite different to the question about how much of an actor is in the character they play because the actors, in almost all cases, haven't written the script; authoring a book is a much more personal affair.

How much do you refect on the choices the author made about constructing the plot, characters and scenes?

I think I divide my thoughts between 3 things:-
1) interpreting the story (just as the author intended)
2) speculating about the author and
3) refecting on & analysing the decisions the author made in the creative process of writing the book.

So do any or all of us share this way of reading? I wonder how much the way I read fiction is influenced by the fact that I think I have a book, play &/or a film in me. My wife will admit to skipping over overly long sections of description in mountaineering and exploration books (non-fiction) and in the fiction she reads - she seems to just want to get a rough impression of a scene/location and cut straight to the action and the thoughts of the characters. I'd never skip anything however boring uness I'd decided to give up on it completely and stop reading it.

I'm currently reading 3 books by Haruki Murakami - "Norwegian Wood" (I'll write about that in detail some other time - while I'm sort of enjoying it I feel critical of many aspects of the writing) on an ebook reader but I'm also following it by listening to it on an mp3 player when I go running (a big thing in my life). I'm listening to "After Dark" on CD in the kitchen when cooking (so often having to repeat sections - but enjoying that more than "NW"). I'm reading "Wild Sheep Chase" in paperback and, though, confused, I'm mildly intrigued - this is the most difficult one to understand. It's a reading experiment which I may well write about in more detail somewhere, maybe here.
The rest of you...keep banging the rocks together.
Travis
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster
antispam: no

Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:48 pm

I imagine that anyone who aspires to be a writer certainly rises to #3 at least some of the time when reading.

Like you, I do all three and never skip a word. This, among other things, makes me an epically slow reader.

One quirk I have is that I keep a journal of sorts...

Much like that^^^

...in which I copy relatively short excerpts that I like from whatever book I'm currently reading. All handwritten of course. This is one of those "other things" that contributes to my methodical reading process.

Finally, welcome to PG.
There's only one rule in street and bar fights: maximum violence, instantly. (Martin Amis, "Money")
David

Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:53 pm

I don't think I think about points 2 and 3 much at all. On the other hand, I am happy just to be a consumer of fiction, albeit one with (I kid myself) high standards. There is so much to be read, and I will gladly give up a work of fiction if I think it isn't worthy of my time. I only have so much of it, after all. But what I like, I don't skip.

Interesting that you're not reading the Murakami book about running, M. Lemon. Or have you read and absorbed that already?
Select Samaritan wrote:Finally, welcome to PG.
What Travis said.

Cheers

David
Nash

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:40 pm

I don't think it's a stupid question at all.

Only ever point 1 when I'm actually reading the book, anything else just distracts from the enjoyment of the story for me.

I'll perhaps mull over point 3 when I've finished it, if it's a particularly inspiring read. But point 2 never crosses my mind, I can't say that I really care much about the authors, just the work.

I'll never skip a word if I'm enjoying the read but, like David, I'll easily give up on a book if I don't like it, sometimes just after a few pages. A lot of people plough through books regardless of whether they like them or not, I just can't understand that. Too many books, not enough time.

......and always on paper, never electronically.

..............and I do like your idea Travis, of writing down excerpts in a journal. I'm a slow and methodical reader too.
Travis
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster
antispam: no

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:57 pm

Nash wrote: ...point 2 never crosses my mind, I can't say that I really care much about the authors, just the work.
Well for me, #2 is definitely the one that takes up the least amount of my time.
Nash wrote: I do like your idea Travis, of writing down excerpts in a journal. I'm a slow and methodical reader too.
I find that once I've written something down it's much easier to remember it. And I find this to be especially true when I write it out on paper. Also, because like you I refuse to read e-books, I often find myself revisiting the journal and properly enjoying the fruits of my labor. For me, it's not all about being able to haul a good quote out of my arse during dinner. I'm a proper book nerd too!
There's only one rule in street and bar fights: maximum violence, instantly. (Martin Amis, "Money")
lemonstar
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:07 pm

Select Samaritan wrote:One quirk I have is that I keep a journal of sorts...
...in which I copy relatively short excerpts that I like from whatever book I'm currently reading. All handwritten of course. This is one of those "other things" that contributes to my methodical reading process.
That.Is.Interesting. I never thought of doing that for reading but it's only in the past year I've started reading any fiction in volume. I have however, highlighted sections in my ebook reader which I want to come back to for evidence when I write up my reviews. I have kept a songwriting journal for about 8 years - infact I keep 3 - one in a thick A5 leather bound sleeve which is one of the few things I count as meaningful in terms of possessions and I've misplaced it this week so slightly worried about that. I also have an editor (Keynotes) on my PC where I also have other songwriting notes and I also have all the video and audio I shoot on my camera - it's so easy to pick upa guitar, spell out a few chords and record fragments - that's one of the main ways I record what I do. I've scanned some of my favourite pages - examples of what I really like, e.g.
http://twitpic.com/43nlw9 Haruki Muakami - A Wild Sheep Chase p15.
http://twitpic.com/3ty65w Red Dust" by Ma Jiang, p3 - "53 Nanxiao Lane"
http://twitpic.com/3ty6ch Red Dust" by Ma Jiang, p4 - "53 Nanxiao Lane"
http://twitpic.com/3ty6ic Red Dust" by Ma Jiang, p5 - "53 Nanxiao Lane"
http://twitpic.com/or957 Everyday Zen,p3 - Charlotte Joko Beck
http://twitpic.com/hm40m On The Road, p17 - Kerouac at his best
http://twitpic.com/hm4z1 Dharma Bums, p196 - Kerouac
http://twitpic.com/hm670 Dharma Bums, p197 - Kerouac

I'd like to see more examples of pages pulled out by other readers - it's a case of show me don't tell me what it is you like about a book/author/style.
Select Samaritan wrote:Finally, welcome to PG.
Thanks.
lemonstar
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:17 pm

David wrote:Interesting that you're not reading the Murakami book about running, M. Lemon. Or have you read and absorbed that already?
I've seen the title and I'm definitely interested but I've completely resisted looking up Murakami on wikipedia or elsewhere - I just want to read something and come to my own conclusions first - then go and find out about him and his bibliography. I was in the Oxfam shop in Leeds city centre last summer (the first place I seek out in any place I visit) and was intrigued by the book cover, blurb and first few pages - I haven't read much fiction and haven't read any for ages so I took a gamble. The guy serving me said - it's a good book, once you've read one you'll want to read them all - it was a surreal moment. At this point in time I don't doubt I will but there are a few more titles that I'm going to seek out - The Wind-up Bird Chronicles is one, Kafa on the Beach is another. (I *think* the titles are correct)
David wrote:Finally, welcome to PG (What Travis said).
Thanks.
lemonstar
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:30 pm

Select Samaritan wrote:For me, it's not all about being able to haul a good quote out of my arse during dinner. I'm a proper book nerd too!
LOL

I've come to the conclusion there's no point in even trying to get someone interested in a book you're reading or have read - not even your closest friends (maybe that's just my friends) - I literally have to hand them the book and probably kiss goodbye to it - I've done that a few times & had to rebuy. I read the "A Confederacy of Dunces" (John Kennedy Toole) on the recommendation of a friend and I'm really glad I did.
Raisin
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:02 am

Another welcome to PG from me.

I've bought so many books from Amazon and charity shops recently that my room at uni has become a bit of a nightmare to navigate my way around. If it's a good book I won't put it down, read it in one day (I read ridiculously fast), and then usually read it again, maybe three of four times- some books I've read maybe 15 times and I'm still not sick of them.
lemonstar wrote: I literally have to hand them the book and probably kiss goodbye to it
Yep, me too, I don't usually let people borrow mine anymore, at uni it's tempting fate far too much- you'd get it back stinking of alcohol amongst other things.

On the subject of your three things you do when reading, I can't say I do anything like that, apart from the first one, but maybe not even that. I read, hopefully enjoy it, then maybe read it again. If I don't enjoy it I read it anyway, just to make sure it doesn't get really good half-way through or something. Don't think I've ever not finished a book before, though the first time I read Lord of the Rings it took me about a year of picking it up then putting it down again.

Raisin
In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded. (Terry Pratchett on the Big Bang Theory)
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:09 pm

lemonstar wrote:I've come to the conclusion there's no point in even trying to get someone interested in a book you're reading or have read - not even your closest friends (maybe that's just my friends) - I literally have to hand them the book and probably kiss goodbye to it - I've done that a few times & had to rebuy. I read the "A Confederacy of Dunces" (John Kennedy Toole) on the recommendation of a friend and I'm really glad I did.
What is it with people not returning books? Drives me up the fucking wall and now I, too, will only "lend" books that I'm happy not to see again.
fine words butter no parsnips
lemonstar
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:05 am

And you never forget them or the book.
lemonstar
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:15 am

Raisin wrote:Another welcome to PG from me.
Hello Raisin
Raisin wrote:I've bought so many books from Amazon and charity shops recently that my room at uni has become a bit of a nightmare to navigate my way around.
Ditto, but I've just had a big tidy up & I feel good about it.
Raisin wrote:some books I've read maybe 15 times and I'm still not sick of them.
I can not imagine that at all. I can't imagine reading anything twice - there is so much to go at. However - if I read as voraciously as you I might have a different pov.
Raisin wrote:the first time I read Lord of the Rings it took me about a year of picking it up then putting it down again.
I tried reading the Hobbit which everyone said was accessible compared to the Silmarillion (which I also tried reading) - in the end I decided I'm just not intersted in all this elves, goblins & pixies cr@p - I've fallen asleep every time I've tried to watch any of the LoR films - in the cinema, on DVD, on TV, etc.

Neil
Raisin
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:55 am

lemonstar wrote:Ditto, but I've just had a big tidy up & I feel good about it.
I'm on the prowl for a new bookcase for my ones, I got a huge one from Ikea at the beginning of the year but it's been filled up so now I need another one
lemonstar wrote:I tried reading the Hobbit which everyone said was accessible compared to the Silmarillion (which I also tried reading) - in the end I decided I'm just not intersted in all this elves, goblins & pixies cr@p - I've fallen asleep every time I've tried to watch any of the LoR films - in the cinema, on DVD, on TV, etc.

I hated Lord of the Rings but loved the Hobbit, and enjoyed the films, but I've never taken any of it very seriously. Return of the King is the one I fall asleep to.
In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded. (Terry Pratchett on the Big Bang Theory)
lemonstar
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:21 pm

Can't beat a Billy from IKEA.

However, if you've got an embarrasing amount of room space, a limitless budget, a pretentious eye for home decor, some solid walls and a power drill - some of these might be of interest:-
http://www.designsmag.com/2011/03/46-cr ... f-designs/

Hopefuly no-one here has any of these.

Neil
Raisin
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:33 pm

lemonstar wrote:Can't beat a Billy from IKEA.
Yep, a trip to Ikea this Saturday is in order, there's a sale and everything so I'll end up with a whole load of crap I don't need but really, really want, including those plants that die the second you take them out of the store.

Took a look at those bookcases and it was like some kind of nightmare for books about where they don't want to be kept. I think the polar bear was the worst one, though I'm kind of fascinated as to who might have thought a polar bear shape would be a good thing to put books in.
JohnLott
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:33 pm

As usual - out of step.

I read a book (of fiction) by creating a reality (space) in my mind and enacting the unfolding story in that reality.

If I can't initially create that 'reality' I don't continue with the book.

I shut myself off from the world.

I don't put a book down until I've read it - even if it takes 24 hours, but most take 8-18 hours.

:roll:

J.
Before you shave with Occam’s razor - Try epilation or microlaser
lemonstar
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:52 am

David wrote: Interesting that you're not reading the Murakami book about running, M. Lemon. Or have you read and absorbed that already?

David
Hopefully I'm not going to get killed to death by restarting an old thread!

I'm 2 days into a challenge I set myself - to run at least 5.5-7.5 miles every day for a month and I happen to be listening to "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" on my mp3 player when I'm running so I'm just over halfway through the book now. I was going to run every day in October but the weather is so nice now that I decided to "seize the day" so I started early. While I quite enjoy listening to music when I run (Jonathan Richman is great in the summer, Jonn Serrie's ambient electronic is awesome in the more atmospheric late Autumn and Winter) I've found that I've got better at being able to listen & concentrate and follow audio books when running - at first my mind was wandering off and I was missing large periods. I also have Murakami's After Dark on audio to finish off.

Don't know why I'm sharing this really - I just like writing I suppose.

I spent 2001 gearing up to run my first marathon but ran into (accidental pun) problems with my knee that turned out to be more serious than it first appeared - resting wasn't doign anything. I took the health service 4 years to investigate, diagnose and schedule surgery to correct the problem and another 2 before I was finally able to start exercising at somewhere near the level I had been before 2001. I've exercised pretty much my whole life but the 10 years prior to 2001, in particular, I had spent far too much time exercising - no wonder my joints had started to wear out. So 10 years on I'm just about up to the level of running a half marathon but still some indeterminate way off being able to run a marathon so I'm thinking that if this 30-day experiement goes well I will aim to run one next year.

Neil
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:00 pm

Good luck with the challenge; take it easy so the lack of a rest day doesn't catch up with you. Sounds like a total nightmare with your knee. Were you able to swim or cycle at least?

I started running about this time last year but my legs have just never got comfortable with a consistent schedule. I do a lot of cycling which means my running muscles are puny and my lungs want to go a lot harder than my legs. Got a stress fracture in my foot back in January. Managed a half marathon in June but then spent the summer on my bike. Ran 5 miles on Saturday and my legs have only just stopped aching. Running is HARD.
lemonstar
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:26 am

Cycling was ok so long as I didn't tackle the few massive inclines around here but breaststroke was out - the knee twisting in that was a killer - I had to swim backstroke(don't like that stroke) or front crawl(hard unless you're already super fit).

i found that you can be really fit for one sport (running, football, swimming or cycling) but because the demands of each sport on your muscles and breathing are distinctly different the fitness doesn't always carry over as well as you might hope when you switch from one sport to do another. I had one day off so far because I gave blood early in the day - normally I make sure I get any running out of the way before I give blood but I had a bit of lazy day and didn't get moving in time - I was advised not to - it best not to as I run in remote places or alongside canals (and tbh - my legs are aching!)

I found with cycling that because you go out away from home in one direction and come back roughly in the opposite direction you always catch the sun on one side of your body - getting toasted on one side isn't nice when you're out cycling for >3 hours - it's also an issue running for >1 hour. Often when I go out I can't really tell if it's going to be an issue & hate all the time taken covering up with cream. Getting friction burns off your clothes is another problem - runners nipple is agony! Thank god for vaseline!
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:36 pm

lemonstar wrote:I found with cycling that because you go out away from home in one direction and come back roughly in the opposite direction you always catch the sun on one side of your body - getting toasted on one side isn't nice when you're out cycling for >3 hours - it's also an issue running for >1 hour.
Try doing a loop instead of an out-and-back? I always prefer a circular route anyway, just for the aesthetics of it.
lemonstar wrote:Getting friction burns off your clothes is another problem - runners nipple is agony!
Agreed!
lemonstar wrote:Thank god for vaseline!
Too messy for me, I use extra-sticky band-aids. Hurts a bit ripping them off with all the hair but no big deal. But this is another reason why running is HARD.